Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

Mmo Crafting The Bane Of My Existence.

Why aren't you in the Crafter Master List bro? They're all gonna laugh at you!

I thought you were troling me at first but I am not intending to be a crafter although I know everyone will have to contribute.  Maybe one of my disciplines will be a raw mats gatherer if that turns out to be a thing.  I am interested in the big picture of campaigns and if the EK's will play an important role in winning them.  That said I will be as hardcore a crafter as the guild requires.  We have one guy who lives for it but I don't think one guy will be enough no matter how dedicated and talented.  So if no one else steps up I will do what is necessary.

Edited by BraveSirRobin

I thought you were troling me at first but I am not intending to be a crafter although I know everyone will have to contribute.  Maybe one of my disciplines will be a raw mats gatherer if that turns out to be a thing.  I am interested in the big picture of campaigns and if the EK's will play an important role in winning them.  That said I will be as hardcore a crafter as the guild requires.  We have one guy who lives for it but I don't think one guy will be enough no matter how dedicated and talented.  So if no one else steps up I will do what is necessary.

Well said sir, well said!

lol... "IF you ladies suck at PvP on the front line, then you'll be joining the cooks in the back line crafting armor and weapons for the rest of us!"

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I'd like there to be some kind of wardrobe where all skin styles of the items you have ever equiped are saved.

Then,if you order a crafter to make an item you can send the style with your request.

lol... "IF you ladies suck at PvP on the front line, then you'll be joining the cooks in the back line crafting armor and weapons for the rest of us!"

If you meatlumps suck at crafting then we're sending you to the front lines where you can cycle die and use your piled corpses as bulwarks to keep the crafters safe.

:lol:

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

You can't win without any items and they all come from crafting. Doesn't mean YOU have to craft but somebody on the team better be.

You know, that theory applies to Rust too, but as some industrious groups have shown that just isn't true/necessary.

Mark my words, there will be a zerg of naked Guineceans with rocks taking what belongs to others and they will be successful.

As to mmo crafting, I'm a hardcore crafting and I really hope it is a loading bar or instant as opposed to a "mini game", I say this as someone that used to look for depth in crafting only to realize it just made it one helluva grind. Anyone that played EQ 2 or Vanguard knows what I'm talking about where the mini games might add depth for the first five minutes but it just becomes super repetitive and makes you want to go play in pvp traffic.

Just give me a simple crafting interface with a reasonable grind and call it a day.

You know, that theory applies to Rust too, but as some industrious groups have shown that just isn't true/necessary.

Mark my words, there will be a zerg of naked Guineceans with rocks taking what belongs to others and they will be successful.

As to mmo crafting, I'm a hardcore crafting and I really hope it is a loading bar or instant as opposed to a "mini game", I say this as someone that used to look for depth in crafting only to realize it just made it one helluva grind. Anyone that played EQ 2 or Vanguard knows what I'm talking about where the mini games might add depth for the first five minutes but it just becomes super repetitive and makes you want to go play in pvp traffic.

Just give me a simple crafting interface with a reasonable grind and call it a day.

We know the what the design goals are, and I certainly hope it works out! I'm not a big fans of mini-games that basically turn into another form of combat that make crafting tedious and annoying. When I know what I want to make, I want to make it. 

Here's something interesting Thomas Blair said a while back on the concept of mini-games, or "combat crafting"

What you are asking for is combat for crafters. It is hidden in a mini game but is ultimately combat.  Sometimes its like fast paced combat (EQ2) and sometimes its more like turn based combat(Vanguard).  Generally the stakes of this combat don't matter much since resources are generally pretty plentiful in most games. Sometimes what you are crafting blows up and kills you (EQ2/DAOC).  The effective health and effective damage of regular combat become effective quality(stats) and effective durability. While it can be fun it seems as if crafting combat dodges the harder problems of economy, running a shop, taking custom orders, etc.

I'm going to make a generalization here, but when game teams sit down to come up with "crafting" for their game the focus is mainly how items get made and not why.  Unfortunately the why is a much harder problem to solve since at its core is the competition with loot drops.

I'm not saying we won't have crafting combat, we are just focusing on the why problem first. It's much harder to add a why later than a how.

As he said, at least he recognizes this kind of thing can be a challenge.

Edited by Arawulf

I always like to do crafting in games.   Eve has spoiled me some.   I got to put jobs in crafting stations and go do other things while it completed.   I wasn't tied to the station playing some mini game while all my other friends got to run around and do stuff without me. 

For me me crafting is that thing i do for 20 min before logging and always end up leveling it to around 65% max by the time my char is max lvl. One day il actually do crafting right..

I always like to do crafting in games.   Eve has spoiled me some.   I got to put jobs in crafting stations and go do other things while it completed.   I wasn't tied to the station playing some mini game while all my other friends got to run around and do stuff without me. 

EVE isn't crafting, it's production.

But this always drives me crazy... if you don't find crafting fun, then don't do it. 

Developers really need to start creating crafting systems for players that love crafting, not for players that hate it.

If players see all of that "other stuff" as fun, then by all means they should go do that. But they shouldn't cry that crafting is a grind or is in the way of their fun. Because it isn't designed to appeal to them - it's designed to appeal to us: the dedicated crafter.

That's what I'd like to see here. Crafting should not be something you are allowed to "also do, besides combat." It should full-on be something you do instead of combat. Those players who invest in that should be the crafters that that matter the most because they'll be the best; dedicated.

Edited by lethality

zjsbjmn.png

... Crafting should not be something you are allowed to "also do, besides combat." It should full-on be something you do instead of combat. Those players who invest in that should be the crafters that that matter the most because they'll be the best; dedicated.

Ace has mentioned this quite a few times as a design goal, which was one of my attractions to CF.  Finally, an MMO that treats crafting as a playable role for those that love crafting more than fighting.  Crafting has always been a viable role in most MMOs, but it's always been a "side-role".  CF is making it a dedicated support role, much like healing roles in most MMOs.

Developers really need to start creating crafting systems for players that love crafting, not for players that hate it.

If players see all of that "other stuff" as fun, then by all means they should go do that. But they shouldn't cry that crafting is a grind or is in the way of their fun. Because it isn't designed to appeal to them - it's designed to appeal to us: the dedicated crafter.

100%.  Crafters deserve a system that is just as deep and engaging as combat.  Those who want crafting to be quick and shallow should not be taking up crafting as a vocation.  If you expect crafters to be differentiated enough to be sought out (as ACE has stated), there has to be enough depth in the process to actually be able to demonstrate skill. 

"Damn! Another faulty chest piece.... and another.... and another! WTF!!  Ah, all of this gold is tainted.... with too much blood!!!!"

"Damn! Another faulty chest piece.... and another.... and another! WTF!!  Ah, all of this gold is tainted.... with too much blood!!!!"

"Blood infused gold?  Well there's your problem right there.  You're supposed to use that in the hanzo blades recipe. You need magma tempered iron for those chest pieces.  I think I got some to trade if you got something worthwhile..."