Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

Mmo Crafting The Bane Of My Existence.

I prefer this type of crafting system - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfxutd2RDxM I've also made a suggestion topic on removing the menu system spreadsheet for a more hands approach like shown. With this system you could have more than one crafter working together if you so desired, maybe even better quality at the expense of lesser items overall etc.(two crafters together for quality Vs working solo for larger quantity). I'd rather watch master smiths/crafters crafting than standing AFK at a workstation.

Edited by billybowl

I prefer this type of crafting system - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfxutd2RDxM I've also made a suggestion topic on removing the menu system spreadsheet for a more hands approach like shown. With this system you could have more than one crafter working together if you so desired, maybe even better quality at the expense of lesser items overall etc.(two crafters together for quality Vs working solo for larger quantity). I'd rather watch master smiths/crafters crafting than standing AFK at a workstation.

OK, I'm just gonna say it... That was awesome o.O Clearly I need to look that game up.

Still though, while that would be awesome to see, I have my doubts as to seeing it in Crowfall. I would like to see it in Crowfall, I just don't think that's going to happen. Still though, one could dream :)

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Something like that would be pretty awesome, billybowl!

I would probably want something beyond binary "did you click to hammer the blade 10 times, or did you not?" (if that's what's going on in that video), but, still. Functionally, that'd be awesome. No extra interface or anything. No "minigame." Just... regular gameplay, that happens to be crafting. Just have the temperature of the forgefire fluctuate. Maybe how much coal you have in there affects this, AND when/how much you've bellows'd it would affect it on a more short term/immediate level. Then, how hot the blade gets affects how it reacts to being hammered, etc. Little player finesse, little RNG. Voila! :)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I feel the same way about crafting and farming. I cant do it for more than half an hour at a time before turning the PC off.

That's what makes the game so great. If you don't wanna craft and have a guild member who crafts then all you have to do is pvp. I'm sure each guild may have a person dedicated to just crafting weapons, armors and materials. 

I prefer this type of crafting system -

I've also made a suggestion topic on removing the menu system spreadsheet for a more hands approach like shown. With this system you could have more than one crafter working together if you so desired, maybe even better quality at the expense of lesser items overall etc.(two crafters together for quality Vs working solo for larger quantity). I'd rather watch master smiths/crafters crafting than standing AFK at a workstation.

If that was an MMO I would download and try it right now based purely on that. That is the coolest crafting sequence I have ever seen.

I did notice it pumped out a blade pretty fast and didn't seem to offer much ability to customize or improve it. If you combined that with an improvement system like Wurm's and gave it the customization of Mortal Online you would easily have the best crafting system ever seen in an MMO.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

That is also first person point of view.  I can see them cleaning it up for a 3rd person view pretty easily.  Making certain things clickable and you auto-walk over to it pretty easily.  You can add in an interface depending on what you click on to what materials you are going to use, etc.

I honestly think if I ever did an MMO I'd base it on non-crap player crafting. Crafting is the system that has seen the least innovation of any aspect of MMOs over the age of Theme-parks but it's still one of the most beloved. If you created a title with really, really, good crafting and promoted it on that basis you would make a lot of sales based purely on that.

I'd definately add item destruction and FFA areas like null-sec in EVE and item degradation like Darkfall to ensure there was a constant demand for people's crafted goods.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

They've talked several times already about all items being destructible and will degrade over time so a constant demand for crafted goods will be a high priority.  How fast they'll degrade... well, we'll just have to wait and see.

If that was an MMO I would download and try it right now based purely on that. That is the coolest crafting sequence I have ever seen.

I did notice it pumped out a blade pretty fast and didn't seem to offer much ability to customize or improve it. If you combined that with an improvement system like Wurm's and gave it the customization of Mortal Online you would easily have the best crafting system ever seen in an MMO.

You'd be interested to know that developers who made that game were bought by Zenimax and were apart of the creation of Skyrim, personally i think dark messiahs crafting and combat are leagues better over skyrim's, but i'm sure having a massive open world takes a lot of resources and unfortunately these types of mechanics don't see the light of day because of time and resources.

You'd be interested to know that developers who made that game were bought by Zenimax and were apart of the creation of Skyrim, personally i think dark messiahs crafting and combat are leagues better over skyrim's, but i'm sure having a massive open world takes a lot of resources and unfortunately these types of mechanics don't see the light of day because of time and resources.

And "Oh nobody wants that" or "I'm afraid we'll make 3% less profit" notions. Simply put, I think most companies are afraid to try such things.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Raph Koster just commented on quality tiering vs SWG-style resource quality:

For example, why is Crowfall going with tiered resources rather than totally discrete numbers? Over the really long haul in Galaxies, one problem emerged was that having so many different variations of resources led to dead ends: resources would accumulate and didn't matter to gameplay. We learned we could get better gameplay if we had fewer variations. Decisions like that end up being made from lessons learned, but I agree it's hard to see the consequences until you've got tons of players.

Full interview here: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/9888/

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Growing up I've found I really don't like MMo's any more. Mostly because I still miss typing in your spells in games like Darkness falls and such. I figured out the reason I loved those old game so much is that it made me put forth effort. 

I loved Everquest 2's Crafting system for this very reason. Player input made a difference in the quality of stuff made. 

However it wasn't so stressful that crafting was a chore. I hope they do something more like this. 

However DAOC's crafting system was complex as hell and mixing and matching parts of an item gave you new items. This would also be something neat I wouldn't mind seeing.

Blackfire1's New Players Guide to Beta Testing
*This message was delivered by a lowly minion. Please return minion back to sender in original condition. Minion is expensive to replace. Minion is not a cup holder. Please do not stick minion into a blender or microwave. Minion inc. is not responsible for damages to said kitchen appliance(s). Do not Pass go with Minion. Do not give Minion $200.00. Thank You.*

I don't like mmos anymore because often they only content of value in them is the guild/v guild set up, and its so rough to find a good guild to supply that experience and being ready to mesh with a guild like that via the in game item gating systems.

Crafting to get into a guild like that, when you're not matching your own gear-gate to join, is kind of like slave labor to me, ok go work the sweat shop to supply the guild and tacitly  be part of the guild....just no.

I hate that guilds haven't become highly structured game-staged devs fingers in the thick of it, kind of thing.

Guilds aren't getting better as an experience and its due to devs being way too weak kneed at upsetting what is essentially a section of gamers that make their games for them, and rule over whether their product launches or fails.

Edited by Zomnivore

Well, to be fair, I have a feeling that won't be an overwhelming issue with Crowfall. While we don't know exactly what the vision is for the CF crafting system, the devs have said repeatedly that they are making this game for a specific section of the gaming community (the PVPcentric, community-driven and highly structured section), and that there will be many people who don't like the direction this game goes. Heck, one of Gordon Walton's greatest warning was "If you're unsure if you should back us, you probably shouldn't." And lest we forget JTodd's infamous line "If you get killed over and over, it's not because the game's unbalanced. You're a bad player, and you need to get better." I don't think those are the words of weak-kneed devs :P

So, if they have the goal of an immersive, in-depth crafting system with being a full-time crafter both viable and fun, then odds are they aren't gonna make concessions unless something they implement is widely regarded as genuinely not fun and can be changed in a way that furthers their goal, instead of turning it into the more common MMO system that you're dreading. These devs aren't stupid, and I have faith that whatever plans they have will either be fun, or have the potential to be fun after grueling trials and errors. With as open and honest as they have been, I have no doubt that they are just as anxious as us to see the results of letting player-testers pick apart their systems.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Guilds aren't getting better as an experience

Guilds are just groups of people. If groups of people aren't getting better as an experience then it's because you're not hanging out with better people. Nothing any game developers can do will fix a players' social problems or bad judgement.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Hmmm...

I wonder how you'll get the weapons and armor you'll need to have that "fun" you speak of. Perhaps ....a Crafter can build out something better than the "Wet Noodle Sword of Epic Pwnage" and the "Cardboard of Shield of Mosquito Slaying".    :D

Crafter Lives Matter!!! ;)

Cp0geLN.png

A division of Gorath Industries, LLC