Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let's Start Something New

ScubaNJ1

Ok, let's try this again. I'll expand on my thoughts for a new, non multi-gaming guild and see there is any interest....

Obviously there is nothing at all wrong with multi-gaming guilds, they certianly have their place. And I'm not looking for people who ONLY play Crowfall and nothing else. But this is a new game, with a unique design, ideas, play style and strategies. So why not start a new guild of players that want to come together and build a strong community from the ground up? A community that can look at the game fresh and determine everything from day 2 togther from the name to the Pantheon, to the strategies and achretypes and evertyting in between?

Some early thoughts: I would love a casual to serious guild open to all players of all levels and types. I would like to see an engaged and active community with members in leadership roles such as a head of Recruiting, head of PvP events, head of Crafting, etc. I would like to see organized runs and activites. I would like to see Campaign domination.

As for me personally, I'm leaning toward Order and rolling a Ranger with th Woodworking craft and also a Master Crafter.

So, who's with me?

Bloody heroes, right?

5f3lo3.png

Ok, let's try this again. I'll expand on my thoughts for a new, non multi-gaming guild and see there is any interest....

Obviously there is nothing at all wrong with multi-gaming guilds, they certianly have their place. And I'm not looking for people who ONLY play Crowfall and nothing else. But this is a new game, with a unique design, ideas, play style and strategies. So why not start a new guild of players that want to come together and build a strong community from the ground up? A community that can look at the game fresh and determine everything from day 2 togther from the name to the Pantheon, to the strategies and achretypes and evertyting in between?

Some early thoughts: I would love a casual to serious guild open to all players of all levels and types. I would like to see an engaged and active community with members in leadership roles such as a head of Recruiting, head of PvP events, head of Crafting, etc. I would like to see organized runs and activites. I would like to see Campaign domination.

As for me personally, I'm leaning toward Order and rolling a Ranger with th Woodworking craft and also a Master Crafter.

So, who's with me?

I am a strong supporter of new guilds springing up in games for a variety of selfish reasons, but I figured I'd provide some insight on some of the subjects you touch on in what you want from a guild.

1. Guilds who try to do it all, often struggle to survive without a singular purpose.

Whenever new guilds start out, they often go out and accept anyone and everyone with an idealistic approach to leading the most amazing and friendly guild ever to grace the 1's and 0's of the internet.  While this is a ton of fun to start, as players progress through the game and find the things that they REALLY enjoy, they will want to progress towards those things.  Some will want to do small scale groups, some will want to large scale.  Some will want to do certain types of campaigns, while others will want to hang out in the EK's.

When the players are progressed to a mature state, as is the game, they will want your guild to go into the things they want to go into.  It is impossible for any guild to "do it all".  Thus members will start leaving as they see other guilds with a specific focus doing what they want to do, and doing it better.

2. Guilds with too many directions are doomed to infighting.

Because there was no clear direction stated at conception, members will eventually start complaining to officers and officers among themselves about the direction THEY want the guild to go.  You could attempt the democratic way of managing a guild, which can work in certain situations, but there is little for members to stay around for if they are outvoted.  Why is that?  Because it's hard to get your members invested in a guild/community that is still finding out who they want to be.

3. When the bleeding starts, it's hard to stop.

Once your community gets to this point of division, members start leaving because they know their needs are not going to be met.  They have made friendships, even with the people who were happy with the newfound direction, and as members leave, more will follow.  It's easy to manage this pre-launch and even through the first month of launch as there are ALWAYS more new players.  After 3-4 months however and the stream of newbies turns into a trickle, any hemorrhaging can be fatal.

Solutions:

I don't say all of this to discourage you, but to encourage you to attempt to avoid some pitfalls that MANY new "forum" guilds have experienced over the years.  So, here are some solutions.

1. Start small with like minded people.  Find out what they want to do in a game like Crowfall, and if they have different opinions about what to do, it's ok if you aren't in the same guild.  It's better to find like minded folks than starting out with "Anyone who wants to".  Get to know them, get to a place of comfort where you can trust them to do what is best for your fledgling community.  

2. Once you have your "core", discuss with them what they want to do and what the "purpose" your guild will have.  If you want to be a "friendly" guild, then prepare for dealing with members who want to be "competitive".  Friendly guilds put members over success when push comes to shove.  Competitive guilds put success over members, to some extent.

Let me explain: If Guild A is friendly and has a member who is always out doing his own thing and never helping the guild with anything, they probably won't care.  If Guild B is a competitive guild and rely on their members contributing to their success, and they have a member who is always out doing his own thing, they will probably invite him to find a new guild, because he is not supporting his guild mates as they are supporting him.

The flip side to that scenario is what happens when guild A has some awesome, amazing members who are always out there busting their bottom to help out and they see 20 people who just aren't doing anything, you are then presented with a choice.  Who do you focus your guild on?

3.  Once you have your focus, then prepare a plan for how to deal with these sorts of scenarios.  LotD for every game we go into puts together a 90 day plan broken into a few segments.  Dealing with launch, dealing with recruitment, dealing with attrition, and setting standards for leadership and members.

It's doable, and good luck with your mission.  Even for the "multi-gaming" guilds, it's a challenge.  We however, have the benefit of an established reputation and direction and are able to recruit new members to follow that direction.  Find that niche for your guild and build around it and you'll be light years ahead of many failed guilds from games past.

Edited by valor

Valor,

Thanks. I definitely appreciate the feedback and respect the time you took to give it. I'm an officer in a guild in Elder Scrolls that was already established but have never tried to start one from the ground up, so your perspective and learnings are great. We are seeing a lot of that 'indifferent behavior' you mention and are trying to figure out how to fix it without just kicking people out, so I understand some of what you are saying. I do think people wanting to do different things (ie some doing PvE, some PvP, whatever) can be a good thing as it brings variety. As long as all of those different groups are actively doing what they want to do within the guild and not with others elsewhere. To your point, a bunch of individuals running around always on their own, not helping each other or communicating is not a guild.

I also want to make sure you realize I wasn't knocking established multi-gaming guilds. (I think you are, but want to be sure!) I'm not a huge gamer, nor have I played a lot of MMO's before ESO, but I'm hooked now and branching out. However, I still always feel like a stranger in the large, very experienced guilds such as GW2 for example and can't even get invited to Cabal in TSW (probably just me being insecure about my gaming cred but whatever).

Lot to think about and it doesn't seem like I'll get much traction here anyway (which is understandable) so I will be doing what you suggested at this point, which is finding some like minded people (I'll be checking out your link Archie!! Thanks!) and seeing what happens as I plan to be around this game for a long time. Too be honest as well, if you are representative of your guild I would probably love to a part of that! I'll be checking out a bunch of things.

Thanks again for the feedback and insights.

Edited by ScubaNJ1

Bloody heroes, right?

5f3lo3.png

I'm glad you found some of this insightful.  About a decade ago, I used to try to start up some small efforts in different games and they would last for a little while before crumbling.  I joined LotD, 9 years later I've seen what it takes and have been indoctrinated in how our community does things.  It's not the only way and may not always be the best way, but we are successful by most measurements.

This game is a healthy 2 years away from launch and sustaining a guild until then is a big undertaking.  Lantern Watch is probably a good reference if you want to know what they are doing to make it work.

Here's some articles written by our founder that provide some other guidance.

http://www.lotd.org/threads/hades-guild-primers.22357/

I do think all long running, multi-gaming guilds become "new" to some extent with each game. It is impossible for any guild to always be the same because you can never prevent the loss of members. It will happen and if you are not content with a guild of average size (5,10, 20 people) and want the mythical 100+ players, then you must constantly recruit new blood.  This essentially means you have a new guild each time you recruit. The leadership may remain the same and it is up to them to keep managing a forever changing player base. This can be a very difficult task and I seriously congratulate the guild leaders that have managed to do it long term, some for 20+ years which is literally insane.

I don't think multi gaming guilds started with the intent of being multi-gaming guilds. The large old multi game guilds you see have grown and evolved over a long period of time. I'm sure they all started as a guild for a single game.

I don't think multi gaming guilds started with the intent of being multi-gaming guilds. The large old multi game guilds you see have grown and evolved over a long period of time. I'm sure they all started as a guild for a single game.

It is amazing to think about the effort it must take to keep these communities going and while I do think new guilds are awesome, many of them don't succeed for very long. I tend to look up to guilds that have managed to survive and make a name for themselves. Prestige matters, especially when these guilds are still flourishing and recruiting new players.

Completely agree Myth. My guild in ESO (that I'm only an officer of, not a leader) is about 190 but some are not active anymore (and should be culled) and others come and go and only about 20-25 are really vocal and community oriented. Plus it's a ton of work and we are existing in a active game. So yeah, now that I'm hearing and thinking more, it definitely seems I'm reaching a lot when I thought I could build and sustain a guild!

Thanks for the articles Valor, I'll definitely read them. Much appreciated.

Bloody heroes, right?

5f3lo3.png

I wanted to build something new myself as well. If your not interested in running one, your welcome to join ours. We are emphasizing stealth/covert operations, so if thats not your cup of tea ....  Check out the site (in my sig), its pretty spiffy ;)  

Thanks scree. I'm not typically a stealth player. I'm looking at the Ranger so I will keep an eye on his skills as they develop and see where it leads me. I am following you on Twitter now though!

Bloody heroes, right?

5f3lo3.png

• 3 weeks later...

Scuba -

I also am looking for the same thing you are. 

So I bought my backer pledge and now I'm waiting for Alpha to get in and check the game out.

I believe that the way this game is being developed, anyone that is not in some kind of organized team, whether that's at the very least a group of friends or a full-blown guild will be at a disadvantage.  I see a lot of multi-gaming guild advertising for this or that, but to be honest I've been there and done that, and for me personally I didn't like the experience.  It turned out to be a huge bureaucratic nightmare.

I was hoping this time around I could find some like-minded people that were dedicated to playing just this game.

PS.  The current game I'm playing until CF comes out is also ESO.  What faction are you on?

Edited by Kason