Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sagorian

Thoughts On Vr Support

I am happy we are hitting greater numbers of backers, and clearly understood the 1 month VIP to entice the lower tier backing, however I really do see VR as an enticing proposition for the lower mid or high end backers. I mean its cool and all but the interest in VR seems like targeting the niche of the niche.

I would like to hear others opinions, thanks.

Sag, I think it would be super cool if we had VR support, but I fear the development to include it into the game would be huge; especially with the voxel technology they already have planned.

I'm interested to see where the technology goes though as it continues to emerge.  If it becomes something that is a lot easier to implement in the future then would love to see it included in Crowfall.

[@--(o.O)@]

I think it's a waste of time and resources. I'd rather they focus on game mechanics and additions for all rather than a gimmicky item that the majority of their base will likely never use anyway. I love the VR stuff and its the way of the future, but I think for a crowd funded niche game its just not a good move. /shrug

I role play a wordsmith.

scratch it.

it appeals to such a little demographic and adds absolutely nothing for the vast majority of players.

It's beyond me why they even include it this early in their development cycle.

Add it later on with the first or second expansion, once you actually know that VR is market ready and people are willing to invest. But at this stage, it's just re-tarded. Sorry to say it so bluntly.

edit:

F your filter... it's not wonderful

Edited by freeze

The newest stretch goal of 15k backers is VR via Oculus, that is what prompted my query.

Continue  :D !

I saw that after finishing up my initial post.  I still stand by my statement though.  The technology is simply too young to try and implement.  I know the Occulus Rift pairs well with Unity 5, but the cost to implement the technology is certainly not what I'd think they would pick up by adding another 2000 members to the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm all for it though if they can do it, I'm just thinking I'd much rather see something like an additional ruleset delivery at launch vice VR support.

[@--(o.O)@]

The engine natively supports Oculus. So it's not likely a ton of extra resources are going into it. That's why it's a Backer # reward and not a Pledge $ reward.

All that will really need consideration is providing a first person view and how the UI is rendered in 3D.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I support this stretch goal.  It adds another level to the people who will be interested.  It may not interest some of you guys, but some people will want this game now just for this feature.  Again this is the kinda stuff that will put this game to the next level.  It is just one more thing that will separate it from other games. 

It will bring more backers.  The guys that can afford the  Oculus rift are not the ones buying $40 packages.  They will pledge at a higher level.  Expect more Star Citizen type players to back this project now.  The techie guys will have more interest now.  

You guys that already pledged are not the target market, they got you guys on the flaming mounts or the trashy pre alpha animations.  So basically it does not matter what your personal opinions are.  They have marketing guys that know way more then most of us.

I don't mind tbh. I like it. If its a thing then ill use it, if not then I wont. VR may not be ready atm but I'm guessing they want to plan the game from now to be able to support it in the future for when it is a thing. Because it will be a thing.

I wouldn't estimate too much dev time to implement. The largest amount of work is most likely not the viewport, but the control mapping and UI mapping (if different).

Even then it seems unity supports a lot of that natively: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/12/23/calling-all-vr-enthusiasts-target-the-oculus-rift-with-unity-free/

You already have a scene, instead of '3rd person' camera you have an 'occulus' camera. It's its own class; just instantiate a different one. Then when you receive input change the camera controller.

According to that blog UI can be layered in it natively, if they go that route and use the same UI, that's even less work. 

I think it's really just giving a free-be to get people excited and broaden the audience. I wouldn't think its that big of a project to work with.

Edited by shival

For the folks complaining it's a waste of time or a big sink of resources, look at it this way... 

14.5k backers = pack pig. Woo!

500 more than that (15k) = VR support.

This is a very cool, very shiny thing that they can basically throw in for next to nothing in terms of dev cost.

I guess if you look at it as a "Throw in" both the pack pig and the VR are good. I just don't see them as being enticing to get me off the fence if I haven't backed. The stretch goals really should be alluring to those that have yet to join, but maybe I am being to critical.

Edited by sagorian

The engine natively supports Oculus. So it's not likely a ton of extra resources are going into it. That's why it's a Backer # reward and not a Pledge $ reward.

All that will really need consideration is providing a first person view and how the UI is rendered in 3D.

it can be done in third person as well.

http://kotaku.com/one-of-the-best-oculus-rift-games-ive-played-was-third-1627363438

I guess if you look at it as a "Throw in" both the pack pig and the VR are good. I just don't see them as being enticing to get me off the fence if I haven't backed. The stretch goals really should be alluring to those that have yet to join, but maybe I am being to critical.

I agree, but the $$ goals are the real feature-adds, IMO. The backer # stuff is just cool minor incentives to help you get more of your friends on board!