Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts On Vr Support

uhhhh.... shadow and infected? Oh yeah those are supposed to be stretch goals..Ok then, more pigs or something. Anything other than something that obviously will make it in whether or not it reaches the goal. The fact that they put VR as the next backer goal makes it pretty obvious it was going to be in no matter what,

Give us kickstarter-unique backer goals that benefit the early backers. Oh well too late.

I don't care about Shadow or Infected game modes at all. So I personally would rather have VR on release than watered down and less hardcore game modes.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I guess it just clicked for me that the VR support is a backer goal, which means they know it will happen and are not too concerned about how much it is going to cost. This kinda makes the VR pretty much a marketing strategy and something they are probably going to do anyway. I wonder if they are leaving room for another stretch goal that is more money sensitive.

How bout some more expanded rulesets guys. VR is cool and all but only having one or two rulesets at launch will definitely put some ppl off imho.

Azsh

Supposedly Unity supports it, I don't care if it's not a waste of resources. I find it utterly useless and foolish though, Oculus Rift or Mark what's his name should be paying to experiment with their tech. I feel a sick sensation in my stomach when I imagine the amount of wasted money that could happen because of this commitment, and worse, the gameplay could be handicapped to first person gameplay to remain relevant to oculus rift, when it's clearly been marketed as a third person action strategy. Gimping gameplay just to enable the oculus would be a tragedy...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I love the VR Support.

I have a Rift DK2 and it's pretty sweet playing Elite Dangerous and a few other games on it. 

I also wish the entire game was first person only.  Third person sucks.

Edited by dawgs4ever

Tully posted the following comments in another thread, which sheds light on the reason for the VR backer goal:

If the interest is there, then I'm sure the VR experience we provide will be incredible, but this is really a gauge of interest to see if people feel the same. 

We aren't in the business of doing things for nefarious purposes, everything we commit to will be done at the highest bar we can achieve. 

Unity makes this a relatively simple task, and it potentially opens Crowfall up to the VR community. (Thus the reason why its backer related not goal related). If the VR community likes the idea, they will show up. If not, it doesn't happen. 

Backer goals aren't the same as Stretch goals. The two work in tandem but serve different purposes. 

That said, Crowfall would be really amazing with VR. We have great ideas around this. 

The're basically testing the community response to adding VR support.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

How bout some more expanded rulesets guys. VR is cool and all but only having one or two rulesets at launch will definitely put some ppl off imho.

Rulesets are probably more work.  I expect those to be based on $$ rather than # of backers.

While VR support is an interesting idea and I'm certainly curious to see what it has in store for us gamers in general, I feel that no one is going to play an MMO for extended periods of time wearing something that cumbersome, it's a bit like consoles and the whole body moment control thing, experience shows that sort of thing just doesn't mesh well with extended periods of 'serious' gaming.

Not accurate.  I know many people that ONLY play Elite: Dangerous for very long stretches of time using the Oculus Rift.  In fact, people that start using the Rift don't ever go back to the monitor for that game. 

The thing isn't heavy.  I can use it for a few hours consecutively and not even notice it.

Tully posted the following comments in another thread, which sheds light on the reason for the VR backer goal:

The're basically testing the community response to adding VR support.

A KS is probably not the best time to test such things.

I role play a wordsmith.

They're already funded. And it's not a funding goal.

No they haven't, not til that time ticks and the charges apply. KS's dont charge you until the KS expires. Plenty of time to make people angry and send them to downgrade/remove themselves. I know of a few people that have already downgraded or didn't buy in because they didn't like the corporate vibe of the marketing. That is why I think it's so important to put up solid logical PVP game enhancing SGs and not look like they are focused on the wrong stuff.

Edited by Tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

No they haven't, not til that time ticks and the charges apply. KS's dont charge you until the KS expires. Plenty of time to make people angry and send them to downgrade/remove themselves. I know of a few people that have already downgraded because they didn't like the corporate vibe of the marketing. That is why I think it's so important to put up solid logical PVP game enhancing SGs.

Unless they outright say the game is a scam, it's pretty much guaranteed they're going to get funded. They're not losing nearly half a million dollars from a few people getting insulted over VR being added. You're also still ignoring that it's not a Pledge goal.

And corporate vibe of marketing? Lol. Those few people you know sound like morons.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Unless they outright say the game is a scam, it's pretty much guaranteed they're going to get funded. They're not losing nearly half a million dollars from a few people getting insulted over VR being added.

You're still ignoring that it's not a Pledge goal either.

Corporate vibe of marketing? Lol. Those few people you know sound like morons.

Or maybe they have an ability to see things that less observant people can't. I was one of them until I came here, saw the devs posts and realized this was something I should give a chance. I don't think VR is going ot cause them to unfund lol. But I do think if they want more money (and I'm pretty sure they do) they should focus on PVP first addons second. 

Pledge goals aren't for nothing, they are carrots to get us to grab more people, as well as to grab more people on their own. It's not like they don't gain any funds from them lol.

Edited by Tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

Personally, I feel like VR is unnecessary for Crowfall or any MMO for that matter. Unless you plan on playing in first person, which I highly doubt. Third person VR sorta defeats the purpose. 

Not really. It's just a different experience. The problem is, people have a hard to comprehending VR outside of super gimmicky experiences.

I can tell you MMOs are awesome in 3rd person 3D/VR. The worlds look like miniature figures moving around in a world.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Or maybe they have an ability to see things that less observant people can't. I was one of them until I came here, saw the devs posts and realized this was something I should give a chance. I don't think VR is going ot cause them to unfund lol. But I do think if they want more money (and I'm pretty sure they do) they should focus on PVP first addons second. 

What meaningful PvP additions can they add that won't require more money or resources?

There's a reason that actual game content (Mounts, Relics, etc) are Pledge rewards, and small little perks (Statues, VR) are Backer rewards.

Pledge goals aren't for nothing, they are carrots to get us to grab more people, as well as to grab more people on their own. It's not like they don't gain any funds from them lol.

Of course. But requiring a number of backers could result in a huge range of funding. For example, 2,000 backers at $5 is only $10,000. Definitely not enough for any meaningful PvP additions.

Requiring $200,000 more dollars for a specific feature is much easier to plan around due to the resources estimated to implement such a feature.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

A KS is probably not the best time to test such things.

Possibly not, but these stretch goals will overflow into the website post-KS.  The main advantage of KS pledging, is that the pledge reward packages should offer the most value than what will be available post-KS.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

And this is a carrot they hope will attract a lot of VR gamers