Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sagorian

Thoughts On Vr Support

What meaningful PvP additions can they add that won't require more money or resources?

There's a reason that actual game content (Mounts, Relics, etc) are Pledge rewards, and small little perks (Statues, VR) are Backer rewards.

Of course. But requiring a number of backers could result in a huge range of funding. For example, 2,000 backers at $5 is only $10,000. Definitely not enough for any meaningful PvP additions.

Requiring $200,000 more dollars for a specific feature is much easier to plan around due to the resources estimated to implement such a feature.

I hadn't thought about it like that...I agree. I tip my hat to you sir and appreciate you informing my perspective.

I role play a wordsmith.

The problem with pledge goals for VR is that Crowfall can reach that backer goal anyway, meanwhile, were being pushed into a commitment many existing backers don't want, it would be more indicative if they had backers specifically for vr...

I mean what, 1000 people pledge 5 bucks and now we get VR, not saying that's the case, but I don't think a couple of general backers is an indication of interest, that goal works as a deterrent to everyone who doesn't want it influencing the games design.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

This one really confuses me.  Seems more like techheads wanting to fiddle with something new, or some freebie kickbacks from Occulus.

VR in ya space sims.  Yes you could never go back to monitors again, its a perfect fit for sitting in a cockpit.  It would also fit any other form of gaming where you sit in a vechiles (driving, mechs)

VR in 3D fps, not an intuitive, but 3D spatial awareness is important, and you could probably build decent lean left/right mechanics for glimpsing around corners.

But this one is a 3rd person, game that exists in a 2D plane.  It'll be like offering a chess back with VR tech, meh.

Sure I would try it as I will be getting some form of VR for Star Citizen/Elite, however it more likely I would revert to monitor as it's far more convenient for the game type.

The problem with pledge goals for VR is that Crowfall can reach that backer goal anyway, meanwhile, were being pushed into a commitment many existing backers don't want, it would be more indicative if they had backers specifically for vr...

I mean what, 1000 people pledge 5 bucks and now we get VR, not saying that's the case, but I don't think a couple of general backers is an indication of interest, that goal works as a deterrent to everyone who doesn't want it influencing the games design.

Why are you so concerned about VR being included? They've never advertised this as a VR specific game, so it's unlikely that the non-VR experience will be diminished to accommodate VR.

Remember too, the Kickstarter is for the Core Module. VR is probably being added no matter what, it's just a matter of when. This goal allows them to gauge the interest for VR support to be included on release.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Not really. It's just a different experience. The problem is, people have a hard to comprehending VR outside of super gimmicky experiences.

I can tell you MMOs are awesome in 3rd person 3D/VR. The worlds look like miniature figures moving around in a world.

Perhaps in a server that has a ruleset forcing everyone to be in 1st person. But 3rd person is the way to play MMO's; giving the players better awareness of their surroundings. 

Edited by Elvine

They already have a monetary stretch goal of a new ruleset (Gods Reach) at 1.4 million.  The VR backer goal will hopefully draw new interest to get us there.  J. Todd said in a recent interview that the next stretch goals were the other rulesets. 

Perhaps in a server that has a ruleset forcing everyone to be in 1st person. But 3rd person is the go to way to play MMO's; giving the players better awareness of their surroundings. 

Did you even read my post? 3rd person is just fine in 3D and VR.

You're just proving my point that people have a hard time imagining VR being used outside 1st person.

It doesn't have to be some stupid gimmick. It can add a lot to the immersiveness of the world.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Did you even read my post? 3rd person is just fine in 3D and VR.

You're just proving my point that people have a hard time imagining VR being used outside 1st person.

It doesn't have to be some stupid gimmick. It can add a lot to the immersiveness of the world.

I read it, and yes... I can't imagine VR in a 3rd person view.. that defeats the purpose to me. Expensive piece of hardware to not play in 1st person. 

Perhaps in a server that has a ruleset forcing everyone to be in 1st person. But 3rd person is the way to play MMO's; giving the players better awareness of their surroundings. 

I really hope to see some first person only rulesets or shards.  Would be awesome.

Or maybe they have an ability to see things that less observant people can't. I was one of them until I came here, saw the devs posts and realized this was something I should give a chance. I don't think VR is going ot cause them to unfund lol. But I do think if they want more money (and I'm pretty sure they do) they should focus on PVP first addons second. 

Pledge goals aren't for nothing, they are carrots to get us to grab more people, as well as to grab more people on their own. It's not like they don't gain any funds from them lol.

I couldn't take that 14.5k pig seriously... but hey, I just had to go over to the forums and see that many people are just fond of that kind of stuff.

VR support? I have no problem at all seeing why this could convince more people to come here and give this game a chance.

Feel free to suggest low cost PvP additions that would work even better at having more potential player throwing $5 at this game, ArtCraft would be very interested I'm sure!

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

I read it, and yes... I can't imagine VR in a 3rd person view.. that defeats the purpose to me. Expensive piece of hardware to not play in 1st person. 

Actually, 3rd person works well in VR.  There are quite a few games that exist now in VR that use 3rd person and it's very enjoyable.  I know that it doesn't seem like it would, but ya need to try it to believe it.

Edited by dawgs4ever

Lol...what? How does a specific perspective add more value to it? What matters it how it can improve a game experience.

Check out this article: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/25/5841746/luckys-tale-words-with-friends-oculus-rift-vr

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Lol...what? How does a specific perspective add more value to it? What matters it how it can improve a game experience.

Check out this article: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/25/5841746/luckys-tale-words-with-friends-oculus-rift-vr

All I can say is I hope you have a spare neck after a gaming session. If turning your head doesn't turn your view point the would ruin your said immersion.  If I had to pick between a VR users and a non VR user for my campaign group.. you bet I'll pick the non VR user. 

VR sounds awesome on paper / concept for the game. Even has the whole "OMG SO COOL" reaction, but the reality of it for MMO I just don't see it working.

I personally think due to having the ability to add VR via Unity 5 at ease, ACE is using that to get a little extra press attention for the game. And there's nothing wrong with that.  

Edited by Elvine

I'll post the same thing I posted on the kickstarter comments section.

"I'm okay with ACE adding VR support as long as it doesn't at all effect the game in any way. One thing that we can learn from 3D movies is that directors have a tendency to direct their movies around the technology. If the support is native, that's great for people that own VR gear but, I'd say that's probably less than 1% of your total demographic. Don't develop this as a VR game or you will end up causing technical issues and a disconnect with your audience."

All I can say is I hope you have a spare neck after a gaming session. If turning your head doesn't turn your view point the would ruin your said immersion.  If I had to pick between a VR users and a non VR user for my campaign group.. you bet I'll pick the non VR user. 

You seem extremely close minded and/or just downright confused how VR works.

I don't see why VR or non-VR matters. I care more about having skilled players on my side.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

You seem extremely close minded and/or just downright confused how VR works.

I don't see why VR or non-VR matters. I care more about having skilled players on my side.

That's the thing.. it will matter, trust me. 

It's like comparing a keyboard turner to someone that doesn't. Or comparing a keyboard user to a controller user in FFXIV. 

Reaction times and awareness are totally different. 

As I said before, I think it's nothing more than a gimmick marketing niche. 

Edited by Elvine