Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nehemia

Keynes Or F.a Hayek?

Hmm.  I suppose we could open a central bank.  But I have a feeling some of us around here shouldn't be trusted with other peoples money.

As a serious comment; I think we will see two different economic models between the EK and the Campaign worlds.

There are some things I like of both, and while I tend to favour some of Hayek's ideas, I would like to see some more of Keynes' in an MMO environment. But what do I know? My knowledge of economy is lousy.

Edited by Dsanzv

Haha, thanks for linking that! I studied these guys and others for my degree, Keynes all the way for economics.

Keynes was an idiot. Policymakers will never understand economics as well as the people actually producing for the economy especially in today's age, where business shifts in an instant, but lawmakers react decades later.

Keynes was an idiot. Policymakers will never understand economics as well as the people actually producing for the economy especially in today's age, where business shifts in an instant, but lawmakers react decades later.

To an extent, yes. Business however tends to be focuses only on their interests, while the government is concerned with a far bigger picture.

i don't think we can just establish the ''rules'' of only one of them,they may have been controverse on some specific topics but then they also agreed on some others or had topics that are in fact intertwining with each other and if we just follow one and ignore the other it would eventually be fatal.

To an extent, yes. Business however tends to be focuses only on their interests, while the government is concerned with a far bigger picture.

That's flat out ludicrous. Lawmakers and bureaucrats are subject to the same base desires as businessmen. Calling an entrepreneur the boogeyman because he's out to make money is as delusional as if I were to take the reverse stance, and ennoble businessmen while slandering the honor of all government workers.

People are people.

That's flat out ludicrous. Lawmakers and bureaucrats are subject to the same base desires as businessmen. Calling an entrepreneur the boogeyman because he's out to make money is as delusional as if I were to take the reverse stance, and ennoble businessmen while slandering the honor of all government workers.

People are people.

You miss understand me. I meant that business focuses on their particular area of business. Apple is interested only in tech, British Aerospace only in arms, Banks only in finance, Artcraft only in computer games. Collectively they will always be pulling in different directions because of this, without ever having a single unifying interest. 

Government on the other hand is interested in the economy as a whole, their concern is national - not product based.

That said, the bottom line can have something to do with it, but conversely so can corruption. 

Edited by M0rdred

Government on the other hand is interested in the economy as a whole, their concern is national - not product based.

"Government" does not exist except as an abstraction to refer to the collective mass of individual human beings who work as government officials and bureaucrats. Some of those officials and bureaucrats might theoretically be interested in the economy as a whole. The vast majority are interested in putting in their 7.5 hours and going home to the wife, and/or figuring out how to line their pockets and set up a cushy consulting job in the private sector.

"Government" does not exist except as an abstraction to refer to the collective mass of individual human beings who work as government officials and bureaucrats. Some of those officials and bureaucrats might theoretically be interested in the economy as a whole. The vast majority are interested in putting in their 7.5 hours and going home to the wife, and/or figuring out how to line their pockets and set up a cushy consulting job in the private sector.

Same can be said for corporations. The vast majority of employees do their 7.5 hours, and not an iota more. Many probably just sit on facebook or the Crowfall forums waiting for the hours to tick by. At least governments do have that minority who do care about the economy, as opposed to the small fraction of business executives, who do care.. but their focus is on their bottom line as opposed to the economy as a whole.

Your argument goes both ways, but I still vote in favour of the government over business when it comes to keeping a finger on the pulse of the economy. 

Yeah I know, but thanks to my love of politics I often get dragged into it :(

It's not always bad though, sometimes you do come to understand other viewpoints better than you would otherwise... doesn't mean I have to come to agree with them though.

I did misunderstand your previous post, and for that, I apologize. However, I severely disagree with the sentiment that government can or should manage the economy. Government interference leads to graft, which in turn leads to waste, which in turn leads to tax increases, which in turn slows the economy.

To borrow a principle of physics, you can't make something from nothing. Somewhere between taxation and distribution, there's always a cost, and therefore, a loss.