Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Race Changes, Archetypes Stay

I realize that there is likely a similar, if not almost identical thread out there for this, and I apologize if this gets someone riled that I didn't hunt down that topic. Simply wished to drop the suggestion here in the off chance it hasn't been put forward.

Now, the idea I had was that while the archetypes are interesting, I would like to be able to have a character that is more or less unique to me. The first thing that could affect this would be race. If I can be something akin to a wolf-man, lizard-man, dwarf, dark elf, satyr, etc., for any of the archetypes of classes, it would be an interesting start on uniqueness. Personally, I would enjoy having a wolf-man for a character, then being able to pick from any of the archetypes to become.

Just curious what everyone elses thoughts on this are.

8Xk1ctm.png

Viris colratha dath sethicara tesh dasovallian. Soluris veh za jass.

I don't want this.  I trust the developers. There is going to be a ton of customization between disciplines, runes, promotion classes, and gear choices. Archetype is just a bare baseline, and defined by racial abilities.

Guinea pigs dig, it would be silly to have any other race with those abilities.

-But there may still be some discipline or promotion classes for other archetypes that overlaps some of their function.

Frost weavers control the cold with magical racial powers, it would be silly to have a stoneborn or centaur doing the same.

-But there may still be some discipline or promotion classes for other archetypes that overlaps some of their function.

Confessors & Templars are based around a largely human religious construct, it would be silly for non-humans to follow the same church.

Legionnaires could well include some centaur-specific powers, again it wouldn't make any sense to translate them into 2 legged races.

Elken Stalkers.. I don't know, but they could well be based around the natural connections that the Elken race has, again making it unsuitable for other races.

Now, the idea I had was that while the archetypes are interesting, I would like to be able to have a character that is more or less unique to me.

A unique character for each player who wants one is simply impossible in a game slated towards multiple thousands or millions of subscribers. Define yourself through your actions, not your pixels.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Also, one of the primary reasons archetypes are race-locked is because races have different hitbox sizes and physics impulse tolerances. It's for balance reasons. if they were unlocked, you couldn't really have a game in which you had races with variant hitboxes and physics proprties that actually matter in combat as such, or you'd end up with the same baked in and usually worst thematic combinations. You'd still have every archetype have a "best" race, but most of them wouldn't be used.

A dwarf or centaur duelist would be overpowered because part of the duelist design is that they're really succepitble to physics impulses. If you hit a duelist with a knockback, he's gonna fly pretty far, and that makes knockbacks better counters against that archetype than they are against the big meaty champion, who might take a step back and them beat your face in.

On the flip side, it's a lot easier to hit the champion with ranged attacks, while the duelist's small hitbox makes him a much better pick against ranged users.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I could see at best having races with a few possible classes. I like the idea of being able to play a dark elf or maybe human frost weaver or an elf or satyr druid. I could not however see a Centaur duelist. If we get race and gender customization it would be within certain limits. The devs made it this way for a reason. That isn't to say I disagree. My only real concern for race lock is that some campaigns will have race limits. I'd rather not have campaigns that are totally class locked out just by proxy.

mael4.jpg

I think its going to be moba-y and the race/class thing is going to stay just because different sized/rigged models performing different animations is a lot of work.

I'd rather it wasn't as restrictive as it is now but the above is very true. More archetypes would be better than focusing too much time on making each archetype work for lots of races.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

Appreciate the thoughts and different perspectives. Gotta admit, I had never thought of most of what you brought up, so it does make sense how they are going about things. I did like the idea of certain races getting certain classes, then again, I can see why it would go with simply each character is whatever the dev sets, though choice of gender would be nice.

8Xk1ctm.png

Viris colratha dath sethicara tesh dasovallian. Soluris veh za jass.