Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karnos

What Did You Play Before Shadowbane?

I was playing Neverwinter Nights. The game had so much potential with customized modules. I originally played on a very carebear no-pvp persistant world, but eventually found one based on Dark Sun which had PvP enabled in most non-town areas, had fun with it for about 6 months prior to the release of Shadowbane.

Also played on another PW server called "Three Towns" which supposedly allowed PvP, but I was banned after I got too good at it. I found out the hard way that only the GM's friends are allowed to be successful at PvP.

Even further back, I played a PvP MUD, Arctic MUD. Full inventory drop on death, lootable, XP loss on death, could even lose a level from dying if you didn't have enough of an XP buffer. It was a ton of fun for it's time, back before MMOs were even a thing.

I switched from UO

my UO stint was 98-03

AoS was released in february 03, SB was released in March 03

UO was completely killed with that expansion, then a friend told me to get SB.

I joined Mourning server and became a member of "The Balance".

Edited by freeze

Single player stuff mostly although I did play warcraft 2 on line, something about a ladder ranking at the wisps of my memory.  Planescape, Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, the gold box D&D stuff with Civ 1 & 2 in heavy doses plus thee console stuff I played with the kids.

UO was my first MMO

Though the game I played most before SB was Descent - dial up with a buddy... Mega Missile FTW

-Draconic Warlords, Usual Suspects, Freaks of Nature, Disturbed Forces, The Hate Crew, TSCCC-

SB was my first MMO, played mostly console games before that. Funny story about getting SB was that someone at the Wally World I worked at (Pet Dept Manager at the time) was trying to get a friend and I to play Everquest, so I went over to the Electronics Dept  and looked at the EQ box. The box basically said the same things the person (no killing random people) said but then I noticed two little boxes tucked into the corner of the software section...yep Shadowbane. Read the box for that and said "This sounds better than EQ  at least they allow me to kill other players", so my friend and I bought the last two copies when we were on break.

Edited by gauis

Shadowbane was my first MMO, before that it was all single-player and basic multiplayer stuff like Diablo, Warcraft and general console fare.  I had no idea how MMO's worked and envisioned wandering off into the desert as an Irekei, leveling up and coming back into "society" all awesome and badass.

Luckily, I got over the initial attraction to the burned traitors and discovered my true calling as a member of the pure Elven master race.

PS - A version of SkiFree that is functional on modern computers is available to download for free at the creator's website.

EDIT: Time to feel old... my first ever video game was Frogger, on a horizontal cabinet with a big plastic dome and a roller ball controller.  I played games in the arcade and on the Atari at friends' houses.  The first video game I owned was the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo cartridge for the original NES.  Diablo was my first online game, Shadowbane my first MMO.

Edited by Daerim

SB was my first MMO, I came direct from FPS-ish stuff like Q2 CTF.

Most of the clan I moved over with quit as a result of the initial go-live issues.

The lure of pvp, kept me going, the rush after that first kill with my hybrid channie (because STR/DEX/SPI/INT equally distributed must be good ...).

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com

Shadowbane was my first MMO, but I had been playing computer games for a while--mainly Age of Empires titles and Tribes. Prior to those, the first PC game I ever sunk a large amount of time into was Lego Racers rofl 

LJBXw4x.png

I played Ragnarok Online before SB. Other than that it was all Diablo 2, Starcraft Brood War, and Warcraft 2. Otherwise it was offline. I sure do miss all those golden games. Fortunately two of these games have spiritual successors now... or at least one does, two will.

mael4.jpg

Everquest.  It was my first introduction to MMOs.  I still remember the day someone explained it to me.  I was like, "you're telling me there's a game that's in 3d where you're in one big RP world with hundreds/thousands of other players???!!!"  Went out and bought it the very next day.  My mind was blown.  Before that, 4 player Nintendo 64 **** was as good as I thought it got (I was never a fan of Quake or Unreal stuff).  But Goldeneye still rapes most modern fps games...

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Everquest.  It was my first introduction to MMOs.  I still remember the day someone explained it to me.  I was like, "you're telling me there's a game that's in 3d where you're in one big RP world with hundreds/thousands of other players???!!!"  Went out and bought it the very next day.  My mind was blown.  Before that, 4 player Nintendo 64 **** was as good as I thought it got (I was never a fan of Quake or Unreal stuff).  But Goldeneye still rapes most modern fps games...

That's pretty much the same story behind my getting UO.

Pc games.....ultima 7 / 7 part II....8.....

Elder scrolls arena and daggerfall.....

For multiplayer battle drome, mech warrior......falcon 3.0...... X-com enemy unknown, wing commander 1-2, privateer 1-2. Diablo I, II...

Wolfenstien, doom 1-3

Warcraft 1 & 2......

Quake 1 and 2

X-wing ....tie fighter......xwing vs tie fighter........

Wayway too many to name......

As far as MMO

A small space game called sub space played that 95-97......1st game I played that had 100's of people playing same time that didn't require everyone being on a lan. Game took a good amount of skill.

Meridian 59 for 1 month (dial up and old pc not a good combo)

UO from launch to the day AoS expansion launched.......

Pre wide spread broad band most multiplayer games had a lot of issues.....anything not on a lan with 4+ players had issues. Sync/lag that came dial up wasn't pretty. Also pcs pre pentium II were mad expensive....spent 3k for my 486 dx 33 w 2 Meg's of ram.....spent 3.5k for my pentium 200 Pro I took to college. They just weren't that economically viable for most homes. Once pII's came out prices dropped a lot.

I turn dough into $$$ .....The Pizza King of QFT

Ghost Recon. The 2001 game. As much as possible and instead of sleep.

The_weAZE

I usually held a rank between 20th and 10th. I ranked 2nd for a short period and would sometimes sit in the top 10.

Some of those top players were monsters...just fcking computer people.

Edited by tenshijin

ezgzn8.jpg