Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karnos

What Did You Play Before Shadowbane?

console games,  too many to recall.  Then the grandkids talked me into playing Runescape with them.  Joined a clan and assaulted the world in pvp wars.  But pvp was very hard to find, it usually had to be pre-arranged.  Then I heard about SB. 

Havent been the same since.

MMO wise : UO for a long bottom  time , Then a Short stint in Asherons Call .

I also played  large scale ww2 flight sim's Aces High and Air Warrior during that time quite a lot

Alongside the typical shooters of the time quake , quake 2 , unreal tournement etc etc and probably some mechwarrior 2 or so thrown in .

Edited by maarvy

I still play my original NES, SNES, and Genesis. The kids love Tecmo Super Bowl and Road Rash, especially. Needless to say, if we go console, there are too many to bother typing out.

For MMORPGs, Everquest and DAoC. I stumbled across the old SB website in 1999 while looking up something for EQ, and was hooked from the first. I played DAoC because it gave me a chance to PvP with the pre-SB guild I'd attached myself to (The Penshire Street Bakery).

CF_Van.png

Everquest was the big one before SB i played it like crazy for years before getting bored, them i played the eve-online beta and the SB beta.

At the end my heart have go to SB even though both game was appeling to me.

Later when SB shutdown i have go back to eve.

I was playing Neverwinter Nights. The game had so much potential with customized modules. I originally played on a very carebear no-pvp persistant world, but eventually found one based on Dark Sun which had PvP enabled in most non-town areas, had fun with it for about 6 months prior to the release of Shadowbane.

Also played on another PW server called "Three Towns" which supposedly allowed PvP, but I was banned after I got too good at it. I found out the hard way that only the GM's friends are allowed to be successful at PvP.

Even further back, I played a PvP MUD, Arctic MUD. Full inventory drop on death, lootable, XP loss on death, could even lose a level from dying if you didn't have enough of an XP buffer. It was a ton of fun for it's time, back before MMOs were even a thing.

oh poorly made socks thats right! i played that game a lot too and all the expansions and sequel expansions.

The online pvp was great. I especially liked the game rooms where u had two teams fight and you would just play a leet geared toon of your own choosing and creation for as much as u wanted.

high def full clerics and dragon melee druids were what i played. I was always an advocate of taking 13 int on all my toons for things like expertise and its upgrades.

ezgzn8.jpg

SB was my first mmo. I still remember sharing my first account with my brother on our family pc with dail-up internet. Despite the awful Internet and sharing an account we had a blast.

I played D2 religiously before that.

I still play my original NES, SNES, and Genesis.

My Nintendo was stolen by the movers during a long distance move.  I don't know what happened to my SNES and Genesis, I think my mom sold them at some point.  My N64 was stolen, my Playstation broke and my PS2 is still under my TV, since it was the last console I owned.

Ahh, consoles.

My Nintendo was stolen by the movers during a long distance move.  I don't know what happened to my SNES and Genesis, I think my mom sold them at some point.  My N64 was stolen, my Playstation broke and my PS2 is still under my TV, since it was the last console I owned.

Ahh, consoles.

god that's depressing

Ahh, consoles.

Would you all join me in a moment of silence.

-Draconic Warlords, Usual Suspects, Freaks of Nature, Disturbed Forces, The Hate Crew, TSCCC-

Once upon a time there was a bard who did poetry readings and walked around Yew with tamed song birds following her. But tragedy struck and the happy bard fell prey to the chaos and evil that stalked the world of Britannia.  

After what seem an eternity, where she lived and died and was born again many times, after enduring untold abuse and horrors, a numbed survivor eventually emerged.  

The bard was dead.  The one who now walked in her form had become - something else.  

A living avatar of vengeance consumed with one thought - to inflict slaughter on those who had ripped away her innocence.  

And when the red haze finally lifted, when she beheld the stacked, dismembered bodies that surrounded her, it felt like - justice.  

And it was good.

Edited by cemya

Ahh, consoles.

Daerim, if you still have the games, might I recommend the Retron? I got one several years ago when my wife kept complaining about the room in the tv cabinet the other consoles took up.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/13f8/

There's also a sweet handheld version that plays the old school full sized games.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed6b/

CF_Van.png

Daerim, if you still have the games, might I recommend the Retron? I got one several years ago when my wife kept complaining about the room in the tv cabinet the other consoles took up.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/13f8/

There's also a sweet handheld version that plays the old school full sized games.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed6b/

that's amazing.

As far as MMO's go, The Realm and Dragon Realms were 2 that stand out in my memory,  Hell if Dragon Realms would drop down to like 5 bucks a month instead of 15 id still be playing it.  

Edited by Bamstradamus

The first MMO I can recall ever playing was SWG. I'd had friends that were playing UO at the time, but I thought it looked boring at the time, as I was really in to shooters. When SWG went breasts up I started looking around for other games and sort of randomly picked up shadowbane, with no idea what I was getting in to.

This was well after release, and I (mistakenly) rolled on Vindication, thinking that lore rulesets sounded most like the factiony conflict I was used to. I rolled a human nightstalker and went about killing trolls or whatever out of the safehold.

I killed some R2 vampires, ran away from some dudes, etc. until one day i got rolled by a spec group from The Presidents holy charter and didn't understand, so I asked them "We're not on the same team? How does that work?"

They were impressed with my lack of crybabying as a horrible noob and invited me on the spot. Rolled with them for a while, then had to leave the game for work and college reasons.

Fast forward a few years, I'd made some gaming friends in college and we'd been playing guild wars 1 together for a while, and eventually got bored, and I mentioned shadobane one day when they were talking about having enjoyed PvP games they'd played (EVE, DAOC, etc.) So we rejoined Vindi, established The Papacy and subbed to the only holy tree on the server at the time.

The owners of the tree were baned like a month later and literally cowered the whole time whilst my little guild was yelling at them "at least fight for it you fustilarians"

After that we burned out on holy, decided to reroll barb because it sounded fun. Turned out the only real barb charter option was Wolfeman's Headhunters, so we subbed over there and were appointed officers a few months later after doing well leading some mines and such. After SB officially closed, Wolfe and the other ICs in the guild decided they were tired of managing poorly made socks, so everything we played after that we played under The Papacy tag as nobody else wanted to GM so I had to do it.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I remember you guys well. We fought quite a bit.

<3

Always the good fights with Vindi people. Had very few bad things to say about most of those nations.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"