Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karnos

What Did You Play Before Shadowbane?

god that's depressing

Would you all join me in a moment of silence.

Services have already been held, but I'll pass on the condolences to all concerned parties.

25+ years ago that the movers stole my Nintendo and I'm still boycotting Mayflower.  custarders.

Daerim, if you still have the games, might I recommend the Retron? I got one several years ago when my wife kept complaining about the room in the tv cabinet the other consoles took up.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/13f8/

There's also a sweet handheld version that plays the old school full sized games.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed6b/

That is an awesome thing.  Alas, it also seems to be completely out of stock.  And a moot point, as my 8- and 16-bit games went into whatever void ate my SNES and Genesis.  My pseudo 32-bit stuff, too.  Though most of that was a friend's.  I've still got all of my Playstation and PS2 games, but the PS2 still works and is from the brief, shining moment of backwards compatibility in gaming.  So there's that, at least.

Sought out a MMO out after reading about the guy offing himself over EQ ("hey if these games are that addictive must be worth a play"), but realized that community was far too developed to get into. Played some late SB open beta and was instantly hooked. Never looked back.

UO -> EQ / AC -> DAoC very briefly -> SB / Horizons

The Mix of Shadowbane and Horizons at the same time was interesting. SB was the best PvP game ever made, Horizons was the best PvE game ever made - both were buggier than a bait store, but mostly because they were so inventive.

The first MMO I can recall ever playing was SWG. I'd had friends that were playing UO at the time, but I thought it looked boring at the time, as I was really in to shooters. When SWG went breasts up I started looking around for other games and sort of randomly picked up shadowbane, with no idea what I was getting in to.

This was well after release, and I (mistakenly) rolled on Vindication, thinking that lore rulesets sounded most like the factiony conflict I was used to. I rolled a human nightstalker and went about killing trolls or whatever out of the safehold.

I killed some R2 vampires, ran away from some dudes, etc. until one day i got rolled by a spec group from The Presidents holy charter and didn't understand, so I asked them "We're not on the same team? How does that work?"

They were impressed with my lack of crybabying as a horrible noob and invited me on the spot. Rolled with them for a while, then had to leave the game for work and college reasons.

Fast forward a few years, I'd made some gaming friends in college and we'd been playing guild wars 1 together for a while, and eventually got bored, and I mentioned shadobane one day when they were talking about having enjoyed PvP games they'd played (EVE, DAOC, etc.) So we rejoined Vindi, established The Papacy and subbed to the only holy tree on the server at the time.

The owners of the tree were baned like a month later and literally cowered the whole time whilst my little guild was yelling at them "at least fight for it you fustilarians"

After that we burned out on holy, decided to reroll barb because it sounded fun. Turned out the only real barb charter option was Wolfeman's Headhunters, so we subbed over there and were appointed officers a few months later after doing well leading some mines and such. After SB officially closed, Wolfe and the other ICs in the guild decided they were tired of managing poorly made socks, so everything we played after that we played under The Papacy tag as nobody else wanted to GM so I had to do it.

Good job! Your essay gets a B+ *sticker*

ezgzn8.jpg

I wouldn't include Warcraft 1-3 as a MMO, but I did used to "call" a friend's computer modem-to-modem and play online.

But UO was my first starter until Shadowbane came out.  Now that this can be a combo of both those games... I'm already in love.

Dabbled a bit in UO and Everquest PvP servers.  The EQ Racewars servers were a primitive attempt at faction pvp.  Didn't really last.

In terms of MMOs though, DAoC would be the big one.  Spent quite a while playing the game on various servers, including the FFA PvP ones.  Was almost exlusively Midgard.

Exarch Death Wing - Talons of Chaos/QFT

I wouldn't include Warcraft 1-3 as a MMO, but I did used to "call" a friend's computer modem-to-modem and play online.

But UO was my first starter until Shadowbane came out. Now that this can be a combo of both those games... I'm already in love.

the first two warcraft games had nothing rpg. The third however was very heavy with rpg elements via heroes; especially in online play.

I could do unspeakable acts to play Warcraft 4.

ezgzn8.jpg

Played Ultima Online before SB. Was my first MMO (and frankly with EQ was about the only worthy MMO back then).

Played on the Atlantic server, was a Trammy gonzo till I discovered the fun of Felluca and Faction PvP. Joined up with L/D (Lords of Death on Atlantic, not the LoD we know from SB) where we was stationed with the TB faction. Me and my brother killed that poorly made socks back then, always fighting the likes of EB (Evil Bastages from SB) who was in the Minax faction. All those over night sigil town guards was great. I remember when AoS come out, and me and my brother noticed blessed items didn't use charges anymore and was stacking stats. We had so much blessed poorly made socks saved up over time that we ran around for several weeks owning factions with the top kill points. We went on to co form C$V after a L/D guild meeting went south and me, my brother, and a guy named Badtz Maru killed every L/D member at the meeting.

Later on, I hooked up with Thalium, the GL of Cyndicate. I become co-GL with him and we dominated the champion spawn market, and Yew gate pvp. We rivaled guilds such as HOT and PvP. Good times.

Then I heard of this little game called Shadowbane, ended up getting into the last beta phase, and fell in love. My time in UO started to fade.Ended up going to Treachery, where I started a little guild called Tyrants of War, later on I was recruited into Lost Order of Akalabeth by SleepingLoA, LoA was a sub of Covenant of Swords. Gradishar was a member of LoA at that time as well if I recall. The rest of Treachery of course is history, we dominated the server and Val'Haven, the first city of live production Shadowbane never fell. We then went on to dominate Corruption, where due to guild disputes I left LoA and upon the invite of Swiftkill, joined Cadre Quietus, another sub of Covenant of Swords. From there I went on to become an officer of CoS/CQ. We destroyed the Scorned Death alliance, basically won the server and rode into the sunset.

Good times, good times.

Edited by Khazzeron

Crowfall%20Fei.png

~Black Aria IC~

The first MMO I played was Asheron's Call, and I played on gonzo servers until I found the gloriousness of the FFA server Darktide early on. I then played DAoC for a little bit off and on alongside AC while waiting for the Shadowbane release. Insanely excited to see the design ideas from Shadowbane being taken to the next level with Crowfall!

Edited by mode13h

I can't remember the order of things but.... Ultima Online, (The Great Lady Ferrydust Grandmaster Mage) SWG, (twi'lek Unarmed) Asherons Call, (Life Mage) EQ for a second. (EQ=Got lost, deleted character, made another character, got lost, moved on) :P

DAoC mainly, prior to SB.  UO long before that (Closed Beta and release) on Atlantic and Catskills.  EQ for a short time.

Diablo started it all for me though.  That's where the term PK was coined.

Edited by Stormcrow

tumblr_opi65cphh71v5mc1xo1_400.png

Originally I pIayed Diablo when that came out, but I mostly played Ultima Online on the Lake Superior server for years. Shadowbane was the first MMO to get my attention and pull me away from UO and I never really went back.

Edited by galahadkoa

Yes ShadowBane was my first MMO.  I saw this box in the store and was very interested.  Before this it was Diablo and Warcraft.

" I expected more from a Varsity Letterman "  the BClub