Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noobzilla_youtube

Eternal Kingdoms! Kickstarter Update 19

The point is that the EK could have greater significance, but it doesn't because they want to sell land on it.

Nope, the reasons EK doesn't have greater significance is because the Dying Worlds Campaigns is the actual main part of the game. Sorry you can't see and/or understand that.

Semantics again pretty much. The Devs don't call them instanced because they see instances as short term and temporary phases of the world. Our Eks are persistent and always there to log into and zone into. EKs have more in common with Server shards then they do instances.

True.

It could be argued that server shards in traditional mmos are closer to being instances, since they are actually copies of the same thing.

Rarely will EKs be the same.

Do we call minecraft servers for instances?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

True.

It could be argued that server shards in traditional mmos are closer to being instances, since they are actually copies of the same thing.

Rarely will EKs be the same.

Do we call minecraft servers for instances?

Instavers

Anyway... isn't it funny that the developers tried to convince us EK were not instanced, when it was clear they were? :)

Instance - the new word for "gummy bear", never use it!

At a certain scale, all content in every MMO is "instanced" by this definition of the word. That's just physics, hardware, and common sense. People crow and crow about instancing but really, does it matter?

Campaigns are self contained worlds.

EKs are self contained worlds.

That's not instancing, it's zoning.

"Instancing" is a term generally used to denote multiple copies of the same map, used to split players up for content design, balance, or performance reasons. "zoning" is used to desribe multiple different areas separated by some form of loading screen, with no way to seamlessly travel between them

Neither the EKs or campaigns are that. Players can travel between them whenever the opportunitiy arises, and every single one is a different, and more importantly, a massive space worthy of the word "world"

I can't see a system in which you could get literally every player in the game ever in to one giant world without segregating them somehow. Even EVE, with it's however many players on a single server uses a HEAVY amount of zoning to accomplish it. Individual grids and star systems are all self contained spaces, shuffled off to one server blade or virtual machine or another. In a lot of cases most of the features of that universe are exact carbon copies of one another.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

At a certain scale, all content in every MMO is instanced. That's just physics, hardware, and common sense. People crow and crow about instancing but really, does it matter?

Campaigns are self contained worlds.

EKs are self contained worlds.

That's not instancing, it's zoning.

"Instancing" is a term generally used to denote multiple copies of the same map, used to split players up for content design, balance, or performance reasons. "zoning" is used to desribe multiple different areas separated by some form of loading screen, with no way to seamlessly travel between them

Neither the EKs or campaigns are that. Players can travel between them whenever the opportunitiy arises, and every single one is a different, and more importantly, a massive space worthy of the word "world"

I can't see a system in which you could get literally every player in the game ever in to one giant world without segregating them somehow. Even EVE, with it's however many players on a single server uses a HEAVY amount of zoning to accomplish it. Individual grids and star systems are all self contained spaces, shuffled off to one server blade or virtual machine or another. In a lot of cases most of the features of that universe are exact carbon copies of one another.

What if we work really hard at making each EK exactly the same?

You should never use the word instance, because you should not use words you do not know the meaning off

Do you? Instance comes from latin and the word is connected to SPACE, not time.

Instance - Instancing is the concept of creating an entire copy of a zone or area that only a specific individual or group of individuals can access at a time. The instanced zone is private to that person or persons, and cannot be accessed by other random players. This is frequently done so the story or scripted events can unfold in a logical manner and not be interfered with by outside players.

http://www.alteredgamer.com/pc-gaming/29884-mmo-gaming-dictionary-general-terminology/

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

What if we work really hard at making each EK exactly the same?

That would be hilarious, actually. Name them all the same thing with some numbers after.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Do you? Instance comes from latin in reference to SPACE, not time.

Instance - Instancing is the concept of creating an entire copy of a zone or area that only a specific individual or group of individuals can access at a time. The instanced zone is private to that person or persons, and cannot be accessed by other random players. This is frequently done so the story or scripted events can unfold in a logical manner and not be interfered with by outside players.

http://www.alteredgamer.com/pc-gaming/29884-mmo-gaming-dictionary-general-terminology/

By that definition it won't be any instances, since there won't be any copies of any zones, just many different unique ones.

Member of The BlackHand Order

The point is that the EK could have greater significance, but it doesn't because they want to sell land on it.

They're not mutually exclusive. All you need is to give players something to lose in the EKs that they didn't buy from the store. Maybe if your EK holds a Relic or Artifact, then it's Siegeable until such point as the Relic/Artifact is taken, then players can rebuild their parcels. (With a moderate cost in resources, of course.)

They're not mutually exclusive. All you need is to give players something to lose in the EKs that they didn't buy from the store. Maybe if your EK holds a Relic or Artifact, then it's Siegeable until such point as the Relic/Artifact is taken, then players can rebuild their parcels. (With a moderate cost in resources, of course.)

Man.. i got this crazy idea.

How about we go and siege poorly made socks in the campaigns?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

By that definition it won't be any instances, since there won't be any copies of any zones, just many different unique ones.

Well, Voxel technology is relatively new.. the fact that you can "modify" your land doesn't make it less of an instance.

Basically if you have to use loading screens to move from one zone to another, you're using instances (literally places that aren't physically linked).

Heck, even the CAP limit on players makes it an instance. You can't use the argument: "everything is an instance then", because an instance is here defined by its relative capacity compared to "normal" servers/shards, which are only limited by physical and technological issues.

But yeah, I get that they didn't want people to misunderstand how EK worked.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

Man.. i got this crazy idea.

How about we go and siege poorly made socks in the campaigns?

You're crazy. That's crazy.

The EK's are there as a game service ie to make money.  The campaigns are the GAME.   IF Little Johnny's whale parents want to fund his EK experience it will mean more money to make the Pvp experience better.  

EDIT:  fixt

I don't think a risk-free zone creates a better experience. There is absolutely no reason that EK has to be a risk free zone to make money.

Nope, the reasons EK doesn't have greater significance is because the Dying Worlds Campaigns is the actual main part of the game. Sorry you can't see and/or understand that.

I do understand that. You don't seem to even understand what I'm arguing for.

Another issue is that they've spent more time explaining how social constructs work in the Eternal Kingdom than how they function in the campaigns themselves.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Completely agree. This is what I've been arguing for. However, most people seem to want Care Bear land with no risk of losing anything whatsoever.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I really liked this update and not because of what it brings to the EKs.

The modular system they are describing, is most likely planned to be used in the procedural generated campaign worlds.

Until now, I was wondering what was up with creating the city they have shown in artist videos.

The idea of handcrafting these sections, hsvey the land morph around them and fit them together, opens up for much more detailed and interesting campaign worlds than what I was expecting.

And I was fine with barren worlds.

I don't think a risk-free zone creates a better experience. There is absolutely no reason that EK has to be a risk free zone to make money.

Not sure they will be risk free.  It said you can set the PVP rules for your realm.  Attacking caravans in a trade hub EK, ganking someone making a withdrawal from their embargo vault, or better yet EK vs EK sieges?  I just don't know what they meant yet by set PVP rules.

Well, Voxel technology is relatively new.. the fact that you can "modify" your land doesn't make it less of an instance.

Basically if you have to use loading screens to move from one zone to another, you're using instances (literally places that aren't physically linked).

Heck, even the CAP limit on players makes it an instance. You can't use the argument: "everything is an instance then", because an instance is here defined by its relative capacity compared to "normal" servers/shards, which are only limited by physical and technological issues.

But yeah, I get that they didn't want people to misunderstand how EK worked.

It's not that you can modify it, every EK is a unique world starting out it seems, also there's no limit on players that can come in if you have it public. 

Member of The BlackHand Order

Perhaps the ones that would spend money on the EK are the exact ones that would not spend the money IF they were risking what they paid for.  Think about it, what kind of gaming experience will they have?   

They will never be able to say "Look what I won".    I guess to me it's a matter of respect?    You will get earn your respect in the Campaigns.

Edited by ellie

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think at the end of the day, we're all basically arguing Safe Zones Vs. No Safe Zones. One group's experience is lessened by there being anywhere 'Safe' from nonconsentual PvP combat, for anyone. The other group wants to be able to take a break sometimes, and not be constantly 'at-war'.

I'm not sure if there is a way to fundamentally please both groups. Even opt-in/opt-out mechanics, no matter how strict, are going to alienate a certain percentage of the hardcore PvP crowd.

Not sure they will be risk free.  It said you can set the PVP rules for your realm.  Attacking caravans in a trade hub EK, ganking someone making a withdrawal from their embargo vault, or better yet EK vs EK sieges?  I just don't know what they meant yet by set PVP rules.

I think it just means PvP can be on or off. There won't be any caravans or embargo vaults for the Eternal Kingdoms, as those are Campaign mechanics. I think they have some sort of EK siege system planned, but the way the described it was something along the lines of a wager between the two kingdoms, with the winner taking the pot.

EKs are going to be carebear asylums and trade/social hubs. The real game, for most PvP'ers, will be in the Campaigns.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV