Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

03/20/15 - Eternal Kingdoms!

It seems to be just a giant fluffy carebear fun land from this description. For a game that is all about risk/reward, why waste so much time and resources on a feature that has neither? It was stated this game isn't for everyone, so why are the EK being developed and marketed to non pvp types?

Because ACE knows that the game has appeal beyond just hard core PVP.

The beauty is that this does not detract at all from PVP...it enhances it.

You MUST participate in campaigns if you want to play in your "carebear fun land". I would think if you are a fan of PVP, you would love what the EK is as it will keep a steady supply of people in campaigns.

I know I am.

I'm still hung up on the idea that the EK Fealty system is completely separate from the Guild system. The fact that you can swear fealty to multiple Monarchs just takes the Game of Thrones-aspect of the game and takes a huge sh!t on it. At this point, I'd much rather hear about social organization within a campaign. Is organization going to be through Guilds only? Is there going to be a Campaign Fealty system? To me, that seems infinitely more important to the game than 'optional social hubs' (their words). But they've not talked about that aspect AT ALL. 

The Eternal Kingdom for me will likely always be a huge missed opportunity, because I think they've insisted on making it their Cash Cow (selling castles and other stuff). But to do that, they're also making them devoid of risk or meaningful choice.

If they made the EK apart of the guild structure, and allowed you to attack other Kingdoms to destroy or steal their relics (using Bane-style rules, defenders select attack time)...then the EK could actually be a compelling aspect of the game.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I really don't like EK... The fact that everyone will have his own kingdom... scare me. For me, it's like garrison in World of Warcraft. Every player has his own kingdom, invite a few friends... and? Instead of that, why not have several kingdom (like World of Warcraft servers) for all the players? More people, more activity, more trade... instead of having players  across thousands of servers

ever heard of the saying "location location location" when it comes to opening a shop/market/factory?

I agree. Join another EK because they have an open EK, more visitors and it allows you to build a common marketplace if that is the route you want to go.

Can we have a Guild-Specific EK?! One where players can 'donate' materials to expand it and build on it together? One that is not "owned" by a single player? Maybe even one where players can donate their own personal EK 9-cell allotment to it (permanently probably, since how would you tak it back after stuff is built on those cells....).

eEvERiW.jpg

I am still not at all clear on what the benefit of joining somebody elses kingdom is if everyone gets their own?

If their is larger and more popular, in theory it would be beneficial to be at theirs where they get more customers.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

I really don't like EK... The fact that everyone will have his own kingdom... scare me. For me, it's like garrison in World of Warcraft. Every player has his own kingdom, invite a few friends... and? Instead of that, why not have several kingdom (like World of Warcraft servers) for all the players? More people, more activity, more trade... instead of having players  across thousands of servers

Exactly. There's absolutely no risk or reward. They've completely watered down the meaning of being a king...because EVERYONE is a king.

The problem is, they're using the Eternal Kingdom for the cash shop (and backer rewards) so they've had to basically make the EK devoid of any real risk or meaning.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Wow, this is a really interesting system. I like it and I think it will appeal to a lot of people and allow for different types of kingdoms. If I'm solely PVPing, I can definitely see some kingdoms set up as popular hotspots for the community. I'm sure people will learn it is better to group up your parcels into a single EK instead of spreading it too thin in order to attract other players.

It also brings a lot of RP and PVE appeal to those crowds. Great update ACE.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

If they made the EK apart of the guild structure, and allowed you to attack other Kingdoms to destroy or steal their relics (using Bane-style rules, defenders select attack time)...then the EK could actually be a compelling aspect of the game.

I doubt that this has been ruled out. It would be quite nice to be able to siege  a rival EK in order to temporarily remove their artefact bonuses. It would make assaults a two-pronged affair. First, hit their EK to weaken their players, then assault their cities in Campaign.

Exactly. There's absolutely no risk or reward. They've completely watered down the meaning of being a king...because EVERYONE is a king.

The problem is, they're using the Eternal Kingdom for the cash shop (and backer rewards) so they've had to basically make the EK devoid of any real risk or meaning.

What game have you been following all this time? The risk and reward aspects are in the CAMPAIGNS. You know the actual real heart and focus of this game?

ACE knows they arent going to please everyone with this announcement. They have also said this game isnt for everyone.

I think overall, creating an EK that people want to build and grow will in turn stimulate the campaigns which is the only place you can get resources to grow your EK.

That to me says the campaigns will be VERY active, and PVP will be awesome!

Several Kingdoms is probably what is going to happen naturally. I would guess everyone won't have the materials to unlock the cells, or the materials to buy the parcels. It's much more likely that people will band together to make 1 big world and build on it, but we aren't forcing it to happen. We are just creating the tools for the players to make it happen.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

While I would love for there to be EK sieges, I think it would be a bad idea to have full or even partial loot on the Eternal Kingdoms because that would just draw players away from the campaigns that already have those rules. If I had my say, I would have EK PvP sieges available to those who choose to participate but it would be no risk no reward.

completely agree with this. EKs shouldn't detract from the campaign player base. 

It seems to be just a giant fluffy carebear fun land from this description. For a game that is all about risk/reward, why waste so much time and resources on a feature that has neither? It was stated this game isn't for everyone, so why are the EK being developed and marketed to non pvp types?

Edit: player controlled PvP rules is also a waste of time/resources as the only reason to go to another persons EK will be to shop. No one will shop in a PvP enabled EK if it is allow in some and not others. People when given the choice will want to shop in peace, thus removing any risk in the process and only reward(boring!). Take away the option and enable PvP(and inventory looting)in all eternal kingdoms to remedy this.

Its up to you, you can have your EK be a "carebear funland" or you can open it up. If you wanted you could charge admission and set it up as a PVP safari to find hidden resources, you could set up a risk free training camp for new guild members or you could make it into a social/trading hub. With a little creatively you can make your kingdom suit your needs.

Having your own kingdom appeals to a much larger audiance than the non-pvp crowd. Plus you can ignore it completely. As for your concern about extra work / time being spent on it, if you think about it, the EKs are a simpler version of the campaigns. They will probably make the EKs. Then add features to them for the other campaign types. Even the fealty system may be useful in the campaigns themselves. My assumption based on my experiance with other games is that they are going to be effectively giving us their keys to our land. We'll probably be using a slightly more user friendly dev interface than what they use to make the campaigns.

Because ACE knows that the game has appeal beyond just hard core PVP.

The beauty is that this does not detract at all from PVP...it enhances it.

You MUST participate in campaigns if you want to play in your "carebear fun land". I would think if you are a fan of PVP, you would love what the EK is as it will keep a steady supply of people in campaigns.

I know I am.

Indeed! Taxes keep people from hiding in their own kingdom. It simply gives them a safe place to rest.

The Eternal Kingdom for me will likely always be a huge missed opportunity, because I think they've insisted on making it their Cash Cow (selling castles and other stuff). But to do that, they're also making them devoid of risk or meaningful choice.

No arguments that the EKs are another thing which won't appeal to everyone. Unlike the campaign though, you can skip the EK. 

I am still not at all clear on what the benefit of joining somebody elses kingdom is if everyone gets their own?

The main benefit seems to be visibility. The larger a kingdom, the higher in the "list" it shows and the more likely people are to show up. If you want to interact with more than just your friends, finding a larger kingdom is better.

And I look forward to seeing the 10 replies posted while I typed this!

What game have you been following all this time? The risk and reward aspects are in the CAMPAIGNS. You know the actual real heart and focus of this game?

This game? I don't see the point in wasting ANY resources on an optional social hub.

We have a 10 page thread complaining about Virtual Reality 'detracting' from PvP features...and yet here is the elephant in the room: The Eternal Kingdoms.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Several Kingdoms is probably what is going to happen naturally. I would guess everyone won't have the materials to unlock the cells, or the materials to buy the parcels. It's much more likely that people will band together to make 1 big world and build on it, but we aren't forcing it to happen. We are just creating the tools for the players to make it happen.

Why not require some sort of meaningful social decision? I mean, swearing fealty to multiple monarchs? Who thought that was a good idea? Doesn't that water down the idea of a noble/vassal/follower? Choosing a monarch should mean gaining allies AND gaining enemies.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Really nice update! This game is going to be awesome!

The only feature I didn't understand is how we get more parcels? Buy with real money or earning by gameplay?

Edit: And if there's a way to merge kingdoms in order to form a bigger one? Not only using granted land but using your land to increase someone EK and band together.

Edited by kalawatis

"fire made flesh"

TCLfZIr.png

✣Wildfire Brotherhood✣

This game? I don't see the point in wasting ANY resources on an optional social hub.

We have a 10 page thread complaining about Virtual Reality 'detracting' from PvP features...and yet here is the elephant in the room: The Eternal Kingdoms.

The EK gives a deeper meaning to Campaigns. It does not detract from your enjoyment in PVP..it is meant to keep the campaigns more active. That is all.

Don't worry, you will not have any shortage of people to fight if that is your concern.

Why get so hung up on one piece of the game you don't enjoy, but clearly others do.

I also look at it as genius. It WILL keep the campaigns relevant and active.

(Sorry, I wont comment any more on your threads (Stalker alert)...I keep saying the same thing, but I am excited for how both the EK and Campaigns play off each other, not detract from each other)

Edited by Kell