Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

03/20/15 - Eternal Kingdoms!

This game? I don't see the point in wasting ANY resources on an optional social hub.

We have a 10 page thread complaining about Virtual Reality 'detracting' from PvP features...and yet here is the elephant in the room: The Eternal Kingdoms.

I 100% disagree with you.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

It looks ok I guess.

I'm disappointed that the only risk/reward involved in an EK is the relic system.

1.  No sieges?

2.  No incentive to make your kingdom full-loot pvp.

You missed an opportunity here IMO.

Nope. That would turn the EKs into a permanent version of the campaigns.

You want to fight? Join a campaign! They also have sieges.

This game? I don't see the point in wasting ANY resources on an optional social hub.

We have a 10 page thread complaining about Virtual Reality 'detracting' from PvP features...and yet here is the elephant in the room: The Eternal Kingdoms.

This isn't as big of an elephant as you think.

Think about it from a design perspective, the eternal kingdom is a simplified version of a campaign world. The devs probably will use variants the EK tools to build parts of the campaigns. The ability to control things like PVP / etc are also the dials and buttons they've talked about for campaign creation.

Doesn't this sound a lot like the campaign world building videos they posted earlier?

Assuming good coding practices, the devs are probably just improving the GUI on their tools and giving us the keys for our own kingdoms. 

Teekay think about it this way:

the EK will result in a lot of cash for ACE and thus for the game.

look at how much money people spend for a freakin plushie in Archeage. It's horrendous.

People pay insane prices for pretty but useless stuff in these games.

The EK gives a deeper meaning to Campaigns. It does not detract from your enjoyment in PVP..it is meant to keep the campaigns more active. That is all.

And the EK could have even greater meaning if there was actually risk and reward within it. Choosing a monarch should have actual social implications.

Why get so hung up on one piece of the game you don't enjoy, but clearly others do.

Because I feel like it detracts from the game that there is essentially a Trammel zone.

I feel like they've said all the right things up till now (Risk vs Reward, Play2Crush, This game isn't for everyone!) and then are still investing heavily in resources that go against all of that.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

The EK gives a deeper meaning to Campaigns. It does not detract from your enjoyment in PVP..it is meant to keep the campaigns more active. That is all.

Don't worry, you will not have any shortage of people to fight if that is your concern.

Why get so hung up on one piece of the game you don't enjoy, but clearly others do.

I also look at it as genius. It WILL keep the campaigns relevant and active.

(Sorry, I wont comment any more on your threads (Stalker alert)...I keep saying the same thing, but I am excited for how both the EK and Campaigns play off each other, not detract from each other)

This^^^    For someone not interested in building their EK and only playing campaigns, it's completely possible.  YOU control that , buy you armor and such in the campaigns and then put it in your embargo and HOPE you win.   You'll still have your personal inventory to store items.  But no one is getting anything worthwhile unless they go the campaign route unless someone gives it to them.    

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Several Kingdoms is probably what is going to happen naturally. I would guess everyone won't have the materials to unlock the cells, or the materials to buy the parcels. It's much more likely that people will band together to make 1 big world and build on it, but we aren't forcing it to happen. We are just creating the tools for the players to make it happen.

So much potential for loss though. What happens if the single owner of a 1000-cell EK, that a hundred people have been building on and improving, suddenly quits? Everyone get's their parcel/buildings back, right?, but the resources used to unlock the cells is wasted.

We really really really really need to have EK that are "owned" by a guild. This way, no matter what human beings are playing the game, the EK carries through. And it also opens up political drama revolving around elections to be the "Monarch" of that EK.

eEvERiW.jpg

Teekay think about it this way:

the EK will result in a lot of cash for ACE and thus for the game.

look at how much money people spend for a freakin plushie in Archeage. It's horrendous.

People pay insane prices for pretty but useless stuff in these games.

There's plenty of ways the could have monetized the game without having to make a Trammel zone.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Why not require some sort of meaningful social decision? I mean, swearing fealty to multiple monarchs? Who thought that was a good idea? Doesn't that water down the idea of a noble/vassal/follower? Choosing a monarch should mean gaining allies AND gaining enemies.

This is a good point.

If fealty is a PLAYER decision then it could make sense. A person can buy land in multiple places. If fealty is a CHARACTER decision then it should be one to one. 

I personally think it should be character based... I want my different characters to be just that, different.

I think a people are having a big disconnect between the EK's and the Campaigns. The Campaigns are the competitive environment that fund and drives the EKs, and the EKs supplement the Campaigns.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Can we have a Guild-Specific EK?! One where players can 'donate' materials to expand it and build on it together? One that is not "owned" by a single player? Maybe even one where players can donate their own personal EK 9-cell allotment to it (permanently probably, since how would you tak it back after stuff is built on those cells....).

Generally this would be the guild leader or one of the guild officers EK that the guild leadership decides upon. Something like the guild leader is the monarch and all the officers are the major province owners, older members are minor province owners, regular members are lot owners.

Also the core 9 cell/parcel allotment can not be picked up and placed into another Kingdom, it is locked to that world.

Exactly. There's absolutely no risk or reward. They've completely watered down the meaning of being a king...because EVERYONE is a king.

Everyone is a Monarch, not a King.  King is a title that stems from enough land and buildings placed on your Kingdom. It will more than likely require a large guild or large merchant network to have enough parcels/buildings to have a world grant the owner the title King.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

So much potential for loss though. What happens if the single owner of a 1000-cell EK, that a hundred people have been building on and improving, suddenly quits? Everyone get's their parcel/buildings back, right?, but the resources used to unlock the cells is wasted.

We really really really really need to have EK that are "owned" by a guild. This way, no matter what human beings are playing the game, the EK carries through. And it also opens up political drama revolving around elections to be the "Monarch" of that EK.

I like this... Allow us to build a Guild EK not linked to any one account, but rather when you start you guild, you get a blank EK that the whole guild can add to...then allow us to use some of our own parcels and buildings if we want knowing full well we offered them to the guild rather than one player.

One of the things I plan to do with this toolset is host some emergent, themed PvP games.

In other games my guild is involved with, we have a leader - lets call her an Empress - and she has an Imperial Guard, which are a bunch of hardcore military-type PvPers. And we have another leader - an ousted member of the court, for example - and he has a band of wicked cut throat killers at his side.

One side wants to keep the Empress alive at all costs, even as she has day-to-day tasks to complete around the kingdom. The other side would really, really like to see her dead.

Both sides can recruit from the general player-base, but both 'leaders' are part of my guild, just to keep the power pyramids in-bounds and the numbers at an agreed level.

Now I turn on PvP in the EK - and let the games begin...

And this is simply a side-game to Campaign based mass murder, but it adds a 'living story' dynamic to the guild, and allows the involved parties to have a bit more story to them outside of win-loss ratios.

But, that's just me.

Edited by Raeshlavik

And the EK could have even greater meaning if there was actually risk and reward within it. Choosing a monarch should have actual social implications.

Because I feel like it detracts from the game that there is essentially a Trammel zone.

I feel like they've said all the right things up till now (Risk vs Reward, Play2Crush, This game isn't for everyone!) and then are still investing heavily in resources that go against all of that.

"Choosing a monarch should have actual social implications."

Ye. I agree... A social system where players could be merchant, noble, or whatever in a general kingdom (and not a player kingdom) would be great.

I really 'hate' (it's quite hard to use this word) the fact that every player will be king. An election (bad example for a monarchy system) to determine the king of a kingdom would be  great !  

Edited by Aang

Generally this would be the guild leader or one of the guild officers EK that the guild leadership decides upon. Something like the guild leader is the monarch and all the officers are the major province owners, older members are minor province owners, regular members are lot owners.

Also the core 9 cell/parcel allotment can not be picked up and placed into another Kingdom, it is locked to that world.

Why not just make the Fealty and Guild system one in the same?

I assume the answe is because of how plots of lands are tied to gathering resources and buying plots, though. So Guild size would be restricted to how much land the Monarch has to offer.

To me though, combining the two systems seems like the best option from a social perspective. I still think an Asheron's Call style guild/vassal system would be AMAZING in this game.

Everyone is a Monarch, not a King.  King is a title that stems from enough land and buildings placed on your Kingdom. It will more than likely require a large guild or large merchant network to have enough parcels/buildings to have a world grant the owner the title King.

Tomato, Tamato.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Make a personal EK an opt-in thing. A personal EK for every single player just seems excessive, wasteful and a potential diversion from the actual gameplay.

jK2AOsQ.png

Several Kingdoms is probably what is going to happen naturally. I would guess everyone won't have the materials to unlock the cells, or the materials to buy the parcels. It's much more likely that people will band together to make 1 big world and build on it, but we aren't forcing it to happen. We are just creating the tools for the players to make it happen.

This makes sense. But...

How does the autoctonous wildlife fit in?

Will the denizens of all the dungeons, caves and ruins in these EKs be procedurally generated or added Dungeon Keeper style (by Monarchs and Nobles)?

If the former, will the challenge they present depend on the size of the world or the distince from populated areas or something completely different?

If the latter, how will this mechanic work?

Thanks in advance for replying to all our impossibly difficult questions... ;)

Edited by Cut

Make a personal EK an opt-in thing. A personal EK for every single player just seems excessive, wasteful and a potential diversion from the actual gameplay.

Did you read the update?  It's totally optional.

yTzeAMV.jpg