Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

03/20/15 - Eternal Kingdoms!

Not so much Fen, he seems pretty much okay with it, he's smart enough to figure out it doesn't matter for those of us who just like to crush people and win, but benefit the game greatly as it will bring in a lot more people this way. dreaden is the one spazzing out the most it would seem.

I'm mistaken then. My bad fenris :P

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

But why would I want to join anyone else's kingdom? The only difference it seems to make is you have to pay taxes, so why wouldn't everyone stay in their own kingdom and do everything from there?

Depends on what you want to do in your kingdom.

Want to sell stuff?  Better get to a larger kingdom that is set up as a mercantile hub where you'll get enough foot traffic to turn a profit.

Want to socialize?  Put on a play, own a crowded tavern, organize footraces, anything that you want to do that requires other people works best if you're in the same kingdom.

Get the picture?  Larger kingdoms will have more people and more activity.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

What an update!

I have been looking forward to this for a very long time. Let me say, it has exceeded my expectations. I have never seem a game with such a detailed macro and micro building system. The actual customability looks endless. The prospects of the economic seem very good. Insted of having ranks that make up political/socioeconomic standing, it seems to me that players themselves make it - whether it be through a guild (acquiring land and creating a market system) or forging your own eternal kingdom. The best part is not everyone has to be a monarch - there is a desire for a niche within a kingdom or guild.   

Truthfully it works. I'll be doing the campaigns.

That really seems to be the crux of the kerfluffle here: EKs might make it so that not everyone will be available 24/7 to report for killing duty.

God forbid players might do something other than stab / get stabbed for a few hours here and there. But ultimately in Crowfall they have to report to the killing fields to continue to play in their hidey holes. At least occasionally.

So there is still the opportunity to stab them.

Okay - let's pretend the EKs don't exist.

Now the folks who don't do 24/7 non-stop stabbing don't even show up - even occasionally - and the player-base winds up eating their own and eventually shadowboxing themselves just like the last bunch of pure PvP games.

If the non-stop blood-bath MMO model worked, we wouldn't be here. So let folks take a breather somewhere where they aren't going to get farmed for getting up to get a soda, and look forward to collecting their scalps when they show up in the campaigns to fund their happy place.

That really seems to be the crux of the kerfluffle here: EKs might make it so that not everyone will be available 24/7 to report for killing duty.

God forbid players might do something other than stab / get stabbed for a few hours here and there. But ultimately in Crowfall they have to report to the killing fields to continue to play in their hidey holes. At least occasionally.

So there is still the opportunity to stab them.

Okay - let's pretend the EKs don't exist.

Now the folks who don't do 24/7 non-stop stabbing don't even show up - even occasionally - and the player-base winds up eating their own and eventually shadowboxing themselves just like the last bunch of pure PvP games.

If the non-stop blood-bath MMO model worked, we wouldn't be here. So let folks take a breather somewhere where they aren't going to get farmed for getting up to get a soda, and look forward to collecting their scalps when they show up in the campaigns to fund their happy place.

You have a way with words :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think that you're missing a key point here.

For PvP'ers the campaigns are the core of the game and they can give or take the EK. They'll campaign and love the challenge and the glory.

For squishycores like me, if you left me to my own devices I'd never go to the campaigns. But because the resources are tied to the campaigns I have to go and I have to PvP.

The lack of resources on the EK's/only source of resources is the campaigns is not a carrot for the PvP'ers to use their EK's as much as it is a carrot for us carebears to do the campaigns.

Truthfully it works. I'll be doing the campaigns.

the purpose of any PvP game is obviously PvP, but without a goal it is just a death match, might as well play a moba. So, for pve oriented player's I totally see the appeal of the EK as a goal and having to suffer campaigns to build them. However, PvP oriented player's,who have no desire to play SIM city(without risk) have what to work towards? We can put down a few buildings for relics and never have to touch it again, just play in campaigns the whole time. Like Teekey said earlier, there is great motivation for pve player's to do campaigns but very little for PvP player's to be interested in EK. There a lot of wasted potential for eternal kingdoms for the sake of a trammel esque playground. Edited by dreaden

Cells - the basic building blocks in the EK

Parcels - Deeds, often for multiple cell structures.

Their Kickstarter terminology also seems wrong at this point. Their parcels there should really be cells.

Why do you assume that anyone who likes the more meta-elements of the Eternal Kingdom is a carebear? I love crafting, I love PvP, and I love actually having reasons to fight and win.

It's not what you do there, it's the fact that it's a complete risk-free zone.

You could do all that stuff under the threat of an enemy and have a more compelling game experience.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

It reminds of me Disney Infinity Toy Box on steroids. Its interesting but I don't see enough of a motivator to get niche PVPers to invest heavilly in them. Likely a few big guilds will and beyond that not many. I think there needs to be a stronger motivator, as well as risk and reward to convince your audience (the niche PVPers) that his is something worth their time. 

I'm not really sure who in your niche this is for if it can be entirely ignored by the PVP part of the game? Seeing such a huge part of the game be something that can be completely ignored seemed like a big miss to me.

FYI I"m not a very good or good PVPer, something like this is great for me to entertain myself with. I'm thinking more along the lines of the majority of the niche, that being PVP players.

Edited by Tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

the purpose of any PvP game is obviously PvP, but without a purpose it is just a death match, might as well play a moba. So, for pve oriented player's I totally see the appeal of the EK as a goal and having to suffer campaigns to build them. However, PvP oriented player's,who have no desire to play SIM city(without risk) have what to work towards? We can put down a few buildings for relics and never have to touch it again, just play in campaigns the whole time. Like Teekey said earlier, there is great motivation for pve player's to do campaigns but very little for PvP player's to be interested in EK. There a lot of wasted potential for eternal kingdoms for the sake of a trammel esque playground.

As gets told to the carebears a dozen times a day: the game isn't for everyone.

If a certain PvPer is so hardcore that if they stop stabbing virtual people for an hour to engage in crafting they start to self-harm - maybe Crowfall isn't their bag.

I'm not being flippant - I'm pointing out it is a two-way street... We are asking crafters to risk getting beat up on occasion - and we are asking killers to do non-stabby stuff on occasion. ;)

How valuable is content (how much does it do to enhance the PVP game) that you can completely ignore? My belief is that all things in a PVP game should branch from and add back into PVP.

I role play a wordsmith.

The great thing about EKs is that they have appeal for both PvE and PvE oriented folks.  PvE players will probably enjoy building up their own kingdom, and PvP players will be able to craft and train in EKs to make themselves perform better out in the campaign worlds.

Don't want to build an EK but want the advantages?  Go to a public EK.  You don't have to put work into your own EK if you don't want to.

Honestly, what is there to complain about?

As gets told to the carebears a dozen times a day: the game isn't for everyone.

If a certain PvPer is so hardcore that if they stop stabbing virtual people for an hour to engage in crafting they start to self-harm - maybe Crowfall isn't their bag.

I'm not being flippant - I'm pointing out it is a two-way street... We are asking crafters to risk getting beat up on occasion - and we are asking killers to do non-stabby stuff on occasion. ;)

Hahaha, I am hardcore.and approve of this message.  I strive for the most hated title. 

You could do all that stuff under the threat of an enemy and have a more compelling game experience.

agreed, for example in PvP free EK you can mindlessly transport materials around. PvP/looting in EK and you need protection, smaller batches of materials, alternate routes, that feeling that danger lurks around every corner... PvP free is a walk in a park and boring. Hear me now, with the current explanation of the EK there will beZERO successful PvP enable mercantile EK's and it shall be boring.

more compelling for who? 

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png