Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Reading?

amazering

Reading is something that I feel most people can relate to;  as an avid reader myself I like to discuss what I (and others) have, are, or are going to be reading.

So I'm here to ask you, what have you read recently, what are you currently reading, and what do you plan to read next? I'll start.

Please use spoiler tags for anything that may contain plot spoilers.

Just Finished: Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) by Ben Aaronovitch

Moon_Over_Soho.jpg

London constable and apprentice Peter Grant suspects sorcery when Soho area musicians drop dead, their brain scans showing magical draining. Victim Cyrus left girlfriend Simone, who beds Peter. His dad "Lord Grant" taught him jazz, but master mage DCI Nightingale still recuperates, and a Pale Lady bites off essential bits for an animal chimera slave ring.

Currently Reading: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchet

Guards%20Guards.jpg

Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .).

Meanwhile, back at Unseen University, an ancient and long-forgotten volume--The Summoning of Dragons--is missing from the Library's shelves. To the rescue come Captain Vimes, Constable Carrot, and the rest of the Night Watch who, along with other brave citizens, risk everything, including a good roasting, to dethrone the flying monarch and restore order to Ankh-Morpork (before it's burned to a crisp). A rare tale, well done as only Terry Pratchett can.

Up Next: Redwall, by Brian Jacques

281954.jpg

As the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey bask in the glorious Summer of the Late Rose, all is quiet and peaceful. But things are not as they seem. Cluny the Scourge, the evil one-eyed rat warlord, is hell-bent on destroying the tranquility as he prepares to fight a bloody battle for the ownership of Redwall. This dazzling story in the Redwall series is packed with all the wit, wisdom, humor, and blood-curdling adventure of the other books in the collection, but has the added bonus of taking the reader right back to the heart and soul of Redwall Abbey and the characters who live there.

A novella styled as a children's book.

Best book of the 20th century. -France.

Littleprince.JPG

Robot sci-fi. Written in present tense. Recounts stories of an AIs attack on humanity.

Robopocalypse_Book_Cover.jpg

Literary classic adventure novel. Hope, justice, vengeance, mercy, forgiveness.

Louis_Fran%C3%A7ais-Dant%C3%A8s_sur_son_

Or4vDvn.png

Oh yes, Redwall! That series is what kindled my love for books. I'm currently working my way through the Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch.

2890090.jpg

Edited by M0rdred

Oh yes, Redwall! That series is what kindled my love for books. I'm currently working my way through the Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch.

2890090.jpg

Mmmmm, the Gentleman Bastards series is so good. I should get around to reading Republic of Thieves soon...

That's the problem with reading, there's so much to read and so little time to take it all in!

And to follow up on that, I'm glad to see someone else who loves Redwall as much as I do. I spent a large part of my elementary and middle school reading time with those books. I'm hoping that when I reread it I can find a little piece of my childhood that I left somewhere on those woods around the abbey. :D

Currently reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra, am a huge fan of Nietzsche but this one is a bit of a slow read..

thus-spoke-zarathustra-by-f-nietzsche-eb

Also have this one resting on my desk more or less permanently:

0273769324.jpg

Edited by Zushakon

Officer of The BlackHand Order

Reading is something that I feel most people can relate to; as an avid reader myself I like to discuss what I (and others) have, are, or are going to be reading.

So I'm here to ask you, what have you read recently, what are you currently reading, and what do you plan to read next? I'll start.

Please use spoiler tags for anything that may contain plot spoilers.

Just Finished: Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) by Ben Aaronovitch

Moon_Over_Soho.jpg

London constable and apprentice Peter Grant suspects sorcery when Soho area musicians drop dead, their brain scans showing magical draining. Victim Cyrus left girlfriend Simone, who beds Peter. His dad "Lord Grant" taught him jazz, but master mage DCI Nightingale still recuperates, and a Pale Lady bites off essential bits for an animal chimera slave ring.

Currently Reading: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchet

Guards%20Guards.jpg

Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .).

Meanwhile, back at Unseen University, an ancient and long-forgotten volume--The Summoning of Dragons--is missing from the Library's shelves. To the rescue come Captain Vimes, Constable Carrot, and the rest of the Night Watch who, along with other brave citizens, risk everything, including a good roasting, to dethrone the flying monarch and restore order to Ankh-Morpork (before it's burned to a crisp). A rare tale, well done as only Terry Pratchett can.

Up Next: Redwall, by Brian Jacques

281954.jpg

As the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey bask in the glorious Summer of the Late Rose, all is quiet and peaceful. But things are not as they seem. Cluny the Scourge, the evil one-eyed rat warlord, is hell-bent on destroying the tranquility as he prepares to fight a bloody battle for the ownership of Redwall. This dazzling story in the Redwall series is packed with all the wit, wisdom, humor, and blood-curdling adventure of the other books in the collection, but has the added bonus of taking the reader right back to the heart and soul of Redwall Abbey and the characters who live there.

I started reading "rivers of london" by Aaronovitch by yet to finish it. One of those WIP books for me.

If you enjoy that series, chances are high that you will also like

nightwatchbook.jpg

Edited by rajah

Ignoring my constant influx of comic books (At DC: Gotham Academy & Grayson, At Marvel: Daredevil, Elektra, Spider-Gwen, Silk, not to mention all of the most amazing non-superhero comics at Image), I'm reading Star Wars: A New Dawn (a refreshing jolt of energy I haven't seen in a SW book in ages!), and I'm still on the fence about the give GoT books.  Though this is the next one on my to read list:

51qsxiMgkpL.jpg

824986.jpg

I re-read this about a month ago...loved it

and anything from my favorite writer. Lots of history, and philosophy so he can be a lil ...academic....Mr Umberto Eco

Umberto-Eco-Quotes-4.jpg

Edited by hillbilly

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg