Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
masterofspelss

Character customization

I want full on customization as honestly there's not enough of it in MMO's anymore. I'd love a game greatly if you could look truly unique in varying aspects.

I'd be happy with something like a drow elf or a grayscale skin color though for the most part. c:

hell no

I absolutely hate that...

when it comes to names, then no restrictions whatsoever pls. (except for the obvious racist, sexist etc nonsense)

give us a character limit but nothing else.

you want 4 names, sure, want all caps, sure, want just 1 name all lower case, sure

If a group of players or clan/guild want to all use the last name, I like that option.

First names would probably need to be unique though.

Honestly, I love character customization, I go all out, I love creating characters. I honestly have a game I play just for the character customization, they have lots to choose from and you can even freely download stuff to add to your char, plus you can make as many as you wan. I have over 50. c; 

I say to you: the Hunger is not your enemy. Your enemy walks among you, charming and handsome, with a tongue full of lies.

Well there is two types of character customization and how the devs go with what type of game will effect them. There is the first type most are clamoring for in making your character LOOK unique, then there is the second type where you MAKE your character unique. Shadowbane and what little I played of ArcheAge did a good job of the latter, especially Shadowbane. In those games the different LOOK options where limited but the actual MAKING of the character was diverse. 

What I hope is that no matter what type they use; F2P, P2P, B2P they give us enough individual powers, abilities and such that we don't bascially become cookie cutter facsimile's ie GW2 where a Long Bow Ranger, is a Long Bow Ranger, is a Long Bow Ranger with very little options to differentiate. If you want to see an example of what I mean about diverse character making try this old character builder from SB and look at all the options provided and the choices you have to make: http://pyetrek.redlem.com/

On the LOOKS side if they go B2P or even F2P dyes, weapon and armor skins you can buy from a cash shop that earn the devs money and makes you look more unique without giving an advantage over someone who doesn't care what they look like.

Thanks for the link, I would love to have this many choices for character build. Although I also want a unique looking character that I can actually see during game play and not just on the log in screen.

If a group of players or clan/guild want to all use the last name, I like that option.

First names would probably need to be unique though.

Nope, some newer mmo's found easy ways around this to allow players to not have to have "unique" character names, so there can be multiple people with the same first (and last) name if they want. 

The two most common ways around this are:

1. Each person has a unique "account" name which is used for friends list/messaging , this is not your "character" name nor is it your login name or anything, it's just another name you setup when you create your account used for this purpose. This is also a way that you can friend someone and then it friends their "account" (so you don't have to friend every-single character they have) and makes it a lot easier to keep in contact with people that have a ton of alts.

2. Each character created has a random "number" applied to the end of the name, IE I create a character named John Smith, the actual name that is created is "John Smith.2374" This number is invisible except when you /whisper to someone or add them to your friends list. So it appears there could be multiple "John Smiths" but because of the random unique number assigned to their name the game knows exactly which one is which and people can still specifically communicate with a person without it (appearing) to be different ones.

Both types have their merits, Personally I prefer the unique account name.

How the character looks as far as customization doesn't matter early-mid-end games because gear ends up cover up everything except maybe the head if you opt to turn off helm option like most MMO's. If they spend time doing anything for customization please make it be in the armor and weapon department with the different unique designs because after the first 5 levels in most games you are covered head to toe in gear.

I think it would be cool if you own a forge or are a crafter and based on the rank or level you or the forge are and the type of npc or an individual crafter that you entered a design interface much like you do for most extensive games of designing your character only for designing armor and weapons. There can be different styles that crafters or that a cities forge can learn based on the training and levels, like in shadowbane but the forger can learn other styles. Also materials will play a factor, like if you wanted your armor to have it be adorned with a gold inlaid design, it would require raw gold, if you wanted it to have jems inlaid you would have to have the particular jems to inlay them which if you were an enchanter you could enchant the gems to give the armor a few bonus, along with the steel or mithril or whatever base material to craft the armor. It would also be great having a dye station in bedded in the forge or crafting area for even further customization. This would be WAY cooler and allow for more unique character looks since you look like your armor in the beginning to end.

just my 2 cents.  

Edited by sord

Crowfall%20forum%20sig.png

PvP kills unlock points which can be spent on pvp-oriented tattoos or scars, bandages.

Time unlocks time points which can be spent on age customization.

Game play good vs evil choices unlock Faction Points that allow appropriate customization options: divine glow vs red eyes for instance.

Would allow for time-tempered customization and changes in character esthetics over time, without having to hard-code some "aging" system such as those often promised and never delivered.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4