Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tierless

Is This Still A Niche Pvp Game?

Now that the KS is near its end and the picture of CF is beginning to come into focus I ask you of the forums, do you think CF is a niche PVP game or do you think it is aimed for a broader audience? If so, is that good, bad, or other and who else do you see it appealing to?

I role play a wordsmith.

No! It is a Carebear paradise! The Eternal Kingdoms screwed it all up. I can't even fathom why they didn't introduce permadeath so I can kill every new toon the carebear scum make. The game is doomed, DOOMED!

(Apply Poe's Law, please. Am I doing it right?)

No! It is a Carebear paradise! The Eternal Kingdoms screwed it all up. I can't even fathom why they didn't introduce permadeath so I can kill every new toon the carebear scum make. The game is doomed, DOOMED!

(Apply Poe's Law, please. Am I doing it right?)

Hardcore PVPers always forget that they need PVErs to make the world feel alive, to keep the economy running, to give them players to chase etc. The best games figured out a way to make all kinds of players work in a circle of gameplay. Unfortunately its very hard to pull off without overstretching your appeal and losing the foundation of the PVP game. 

I role play a wordsmith.

If they change the direction away from pvp to appeal to a "broad niche", I think were in trouble.

Which I totally don't think they're going to do. I think people are focusing on the EKs too much. They won't matter at all if you're in a multi-month long campaign and can't get anything from there. They'll just be a place to store stuff and take five between campaigns.

mael4.jpg

The best games figured out a way to make all kinds of players work in a circle of gameplay. Unfortunately its very hard to pull off without overstretching your appeal and losing the foundation of the PVP game. 

I don't think that's necessarily true. SB did a great job of making the world playable for PvP and PvE. I know people who actively avoided fighting players in that game. Certainly not how I'd play but it worked for them and they had fun doing it.

mael4.jpg

Since Crowfall isn't really a single game, I think it is dependent on those "niche" rulesets being popular enough to continue. It can go either way, so if you want one those niche rulesets to survive, you better play in them and make sure the devs know they are wanted and popular.

Edited by Mytherceria

No, unfortunately I don't.  I think it is still putting an emphasis on PvP , how that PvP has been/ is being/ and will be diluted over time will remain to be seen.  I think there are now features being presented that will make the game more palatable for a broader range of players.  That's where it leaves a "niche"  behind, again in my opinion.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Hard to say until we see how it plays out. In theory a lot of the EK features could resonate with audiences other than the PvP crowd, but if they go for it remains to be seen.

Hardcore PVPers always forget that they need PVErs to make the world feel alive, to keep the economy running, to give them players to chase etc. The best games figured out a way to make all kinds of players work in a circle of gameplay. Unfortunately its very hard to pull off without overstretching your appeal and losing the foundation of the PVP game. 

But that is the difference here.  They are being given a world unto themselves where they won't risk even being  chased.   It may be good for the overall health of the game down the road, and keep funds coming in for ACE, but by doing it, you can no longer claim "niche".    No longer are only a "few thousand of like minded players needed" to make the game.   

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

No, I'm pretty sure the Devs didn't suddenly change their minds on a whim.  The game's appeal has already been stated before the Kickstarter began.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

No, I'm pretty sure the Devs didn't suddenly change their minds on a whim.  The game's appeal has already been stated before the Kickstarter began.

I'm also pretty sure they didn't change their mind about the "core" stuff they wanted to have in Crowfall.

Now, we might think that PvP focus and original features like friendly fire, players collision and destructible environment would make Crowfall attractive to a selected niche audience. I believe however that it can actually be appealing to a larger audience : many players, it seems, are tired of doing the same thing over and over again in MMORPG.  :)

But that is the difference here.  They are being given a world unto themselves where they won't risk even being  chased.   It may be good for the overall health of the game down the road, and keep funds coming in for ACE, but by doing it, you can no longer claim "niche".    No longer are only a "few thousand of like minded players needed" to make the game.   

Even if CF attracts a few hundred thousand players, it is still a niche I would say ^^

Member of The BlackHand Order

I'm also pretty sure they didn't change their mind about the "core" stuff they wanted to have in Crowfall.

Now, we might think that PvP focus and original features like friendly fire, players collision and destructible environment would make Crowfall attractive to a selected niche audience. I believe however that it can actually be appealing to a larger audience : many players, it seems, are tired of doing the same thing over and over again in MMORPG.  :)

I disagree.  I think the ones that dislike that stuff the PvP focus and original features like friendly fire, players collision and destructible environment  are the ones, yes, being drawn in but not because that like it but because they see the chance of it lessening in the game by release.   

Hardcore PVPers always forget that they need PVErs to make the world feel alive, to keep the economy running, to give them players to chase etc.

Disagree. You are assuming that 'hardcore PvPer' is binary and exclusive. I like hardcore PvP and exploring - so I play high-mobility sneaky characters (e.g. SB scout). Some other people in my guild like crafting and economy.

We don't need carebears, and pox on your house for suggesting otherwise.