Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is This Still A Niche Pvp Game?

The game could use more PvE content.

If the thing about the game is to PvP, and all the stuff you craft is for PvPing even more, i dont see it lasting to long.

MMORPGs will never be E-sport games. Players in FPS is fine doing 1 thing. Players in mmorpgs wants to do alot of different things.

It would be nice if some of those plots in EK contained dungeons for players to explore that wants to take a break from PvP.

The above is exactly what PvP crowd is worried about with "mass appeal" talks. Players like the above show up, start demanding PvE this and PvE that, meanwhile PvP gets cold shoulder and/or unintended negative consequences.

I would rather they hang "PvEers use side door" sign at the entrance and be done with it.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game. I'm starting to think people just don't listen to me      Next time one of these t

It won't 

With great trepidation I enter the lion den.   I am not a "PvPer".  Why?  I don't have "twitch" skills (whatever those are) and have always died quickly and repeatedly in all FPS's I've ever played.

I disagree. I think the ones that dislike that stuff the PvP focus and original features like friendly fire, players collision and destructible environment are the ones, yes, being drawn in but not because that like it but because they see the chance of it lessening in the game by release.

I hope the players that want the PvP focus of this game to lessen, either learn to adapt to it or GTFO. There is a difference between PvE focused gather / crafters who are proactive in their security and reactive in their retribution (through friends, alts or mercenaries) and PvE focused gatherers / crafters who feel entitled to play in a pvp focused game without risk.

The second variant is what I consider a Care Bear, and is toxic for the game. We should not tolerate their voice getting any traction. I am not saying that gathering / crafting is not important, but it isn't equally important for the focus of the game. It is a support role and should be thought of as such.

Edited by Bluddwolf

It's very hard for me to think of someone who gets into this game only to stay permanently in their EK and enjoy the carebear paradise. It just seems to not be possible or very hard to do, seeing as the EK offer no resources to collect. People will get to the dying worlds, and then they will die and have pvp, just like everyone else. 

Edited by Dsanzv

Unfortunately this is a niche game for sure, pretty much any game that PVP is the core and has what the average gamer considers severe penalties will always be a niche game. Kids dont like losing their pixels. If you played SB  then you know that game was never mainstream, never had that many playing the game and except for the ones you told about it to give it a shot, you never heard anyone talking about it in the real world. Of coarse I never cared if nobody else heard of it or played it as I liked it and thought it was close to perfect in concept, if you dont count the bugs and crap that was always present. But if you cant make real money off of it, it will never be mainstream or sustainable and will never be as polished and complete as a game like WOW. How many vaporware games have we seen worked on that never got off the ground or cancled before it even made it to beta? Too many to count and lots of them had what looked like a good idea. UO2 anyone??I sure hope these guys can pull it off and I will be watching closely.

We are a rarer breed and the minority in the gaming world, and that means we will always be hoping and wishing somebody comes along with the perfect solution and it makes it big. But if your honest, the odds are agaist this if you go by history of the last 20yrs.

Edited by Buckshot

The game could use more PvE content.

If the thing about the game is to PvP, and all the stuff you craft is for PvPing even more, i dont see it lasting to long.

MMORPGs will never be E-sport games. Players in FPS is fine doing 1 thing. Players in mmorpgs wants to do alot of different things.

It would be nice if some of those plots in EK contained dungeons for players to explore that wants to take a break from PvP.

Take this stale idea back to your theme park! Hello Kitty Online is at the other end of the hall.

Trying to chase PvE player base is a folly. Just look at many, many dead or on 'F2P' life support WoW clones MMOs. Star Wars the Old Republic had Hollywood-blockbuster budged and could barely made a splash. PvE MMO market is ultra-competitive and very, very crowded.

Now, PvP market is not. We have import titles like Archage and Darkfall, and both are very low quality. These are still lingering despite being badly made and badly managed. Then we have EVE. Consequentially, many PvPers playing hybrids like League of Legends.

The above is exactly what PvP crowd is worried about with "mass appeal" talks. Players like the above show up, start demanding PvE this and PvE that, meanwhile PvP gets cold shoulder and/or unintended negative consequences.

I would rather they hang "PvEers use side door" sign at the entrance and be done with it.

The door has been flung wide open lol.  The "welcome" sign hung. As it was pointed out "no one will make them pvp and they WILL play the game"   Must be they sense the tide shifting to their side.   Question still remains, when did it come to "sides".  2 games.    With the PvP focus getting less.   It wasn't like that in the manifesto I got.  Nor in the tone of the "early" days.   

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Still very niche, but that's not as much of an issue as it normally is. Crowfall isn't aiming to be WoW 2.0, it's not going to be dependent on trying to get millions of monthly subs, or box sales to make up for development costs, or to satisfy investors.

I really feel that Crowfall can be successful with a player base of 200-300k.

I think I understand now how PvE focus can be a threat to PvP players.

If they put so much more effort in Disney Castle design, cosmetics, safe zones, etc. it attracts more and more carebears who will demand more and  more PvE and who will purchase more and more Cash Shop items and ACE will be more and more tempted to focus on new content for those people. 

:(

If they put so much more effort in Disney Castle design, cosmetics, safe zones, etc. it attracts more and more carebears who will demand more and  more PvE and who will purchase more and more Cash Shop items and ACE will be more and more tempted to focus on new content for those people. 

You're learning how the world works.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

Yes, it's a frightening prospect, but seems to conflict with ACE's vision. They can come, they can get into the game. Afterwards they can start asking for things. But I highly doubt they'll get the PvE content they're demanding.

Yes, it's a frightening prospect, but seems to conflict with ACE's vision. They can come, they can get into the game. Afterwards they can start asking for things. But I highly doubt they'll get the PvE content they're demanding.

ACE vision now isn't only J Todd Coleman vision. The marketing side is necessary but indeed could possibly be detrimental to the "vision".

Trying to chase PvE player base is a folly. Just look at many, many dead or on 'F2P' life support WoW clones MMOs. Star Wars the Old Republic had Hollywood-blockbuster budged and could barely made a splash. PvE MMO market is ultra-competitive and very, very crowded.

Now, PvP market is not. We have import titles like Archage and Darkfall, and both are very low quality. These are still lingering despite being badly made and badly managed. Then we have EVE. Consequentially, many PvPers playing hybrids like League of Legends.

I believe it is likely that a game like CF attracts many more players than ancipated. Primarily because of the staleness of the theme park MMOs. I believe that the prevalent cycle of over hype, story on rails, PvE grind, risk free PvP arenas, declining population, f2p, followed by move on to next title of "same old same old" is an indicator that CF may become less of a niche.

ACE needs to limit EK to be less of a playable space and more of a social / showcase space with possible mechanics that are used to plan your next campaign, but not much else. A staging area essentially.

Think of the star ship features of Star Trek Online.

Niche or not also depends of ACE's vision for gaming community I think. If J Todd Coleman wants to create a game for everyone then I think it would be more well-rounded but then again, Crowfall could also be a game that simply wants to push the limit of PvP and create new ways for hardcore PvP players. It's up to Crowfall's vision and further development if we want to decided what type of PvP game this is.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Niche or not also depends of ACE's vision for gaming community I think. If J Todd Coleman wants to create a game for everyone then I think it would be more well-rounded but then again, Crowfall could also be a game that simply wants to push the limit of PvP and create new ways for hardcore PvP players. It's up to Crowfall's vision and further development if we want to decided what type of PvP game this is.

Vision was supposedly decided BEFORE the website was launched.   He himself said that w/o having a vision first there is no way you should be making a game.   So what you are saying is that the vision will be changed as time goes on?  That they really aren't making the "game they have always wanted to play" .  That " only a few ppl with the same vision are needed"  that this is "play2crush"?   That now we are moving more towards E for everyone?  

Edited by ellie

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

There is no such thing as a game for everyone. There is a focus and a support role, between the two polar opposites. Sure there are players that play both sides, usually through alts or multiple accounts, but that doesn't change the core of the game.

WoW had 12 million subs, not because it did ANYTHING better, but because they did not advance the tech requirements for the game for over 5 or 6 years. You could play it on a Pentium 2 with a 286 graphics card up until 2008 or 2009. Meanwhile the rest if the industry was demanding hardware that required the purchase of new computers and OS.

Bottom line, all games are niche in a way.

Lotta people here need to either trust ACE enough to stick with the vision or unpledge the Kickstarter. The people slagging off RvR as carebear are actively toxic to the success of the game and would be banned by now if this was my company on the line.

So?   Can't question things?  I get it.  Seems to be a trend.