Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SerOddgar

Ultra Hardcore Supremacy (Campaign Type, Alternative To Dregs)

Honestly, you can look to quite a few text based games for a some cues to this type of gameplay.  Players are capable and interested in a more political game sometimes than a lets kill the world game.  I would suggest letting each player enroll each of their characters in the campaign and it would probably work best in a Shadows ruleset or Dregs where everyone has to flag a guild at the get go.  Make it so PvE doesn't permanently kill a character out of the game.  Only way a character gets knocked out is through PvP.  The first few rounds might be a free for all, but as guilds set up and the usual suspects get figured out you have a less likely chance of random PKs roaming around if everyone is flagging a guild, people will work extra hard to figure who they are aligned with and the end result could cause wars that wipe out entire guilds before getting close to the end.  Make it a very good reward to win and you will have lots of people attempting to get to the end of the round not willing to risk getting knocked out of it.  

The premise could center around resources..... the guild that mines the most resources by campaign end wins the round.  The idea is to store the resources they need to take a stronghold and have storehouses to fill up with said resource.  Could center around having the guilds mine and then defend the caravans that transport the resources back to the guild stronghold.  Only way to know how much one guild was hoarding is to sneak in and check their storehouses, or siege them and find out.   When a war finally does come around it will hold a lot of meaning, one group gets wiped out or completely killed off the winners of the war have really accomplished something.  A kill on a major leader or top player will have an actual effect on the outcome.  Killing the main crafters for one side will cripple a guild or alliance.

Lots of interesting scenarios could play out in a 3-4 week campaign perm death round.

After making that post, I have some other thoughts.

When you log out, your character goes to sleep in game and can be found and killed. But, if you kill a player, you get up to 20 hours of "safe" logout time. This safe time would not stack, you couldn't kill 10 players and log out for a week, it would be limited to 20 hours at a time max.

This way the game can viably be played by normal people, you won't just get killed while logged out on day 2, as long as you kill at least one other player each time you log in. Of course when it gets near the end, you either need to keep playing until you can find and kill someone or log out in sleep mode and risk death.

This solves most of the problems. I love it. 

As someone else mentioned this has already been brought up a few times.  The challenge always lies with someone turtling either by hiding or logging.  

The answer I have always seen is that you end up having to have a campaign that last 2-3 hours that can be completely played out in one sitting without allowing logging out, and then removing all of the metrics that would allow other players to hide (removing stealth?).  

Last man standing you also have the problem of...

Scribbles and Joe are the last two players in the campaign.  They think it would be funny to just not kill each other to drag on the campaign and ruin it for everyone.  What do you do?  If it's possible for someone to ruin game play for someone else it will happen.

It was also suggested that instead of simply a last man standing type that the victor is decided by the amount of kills they rack up.  This prevents folks from logging though to wait out a campaign.

The solution for people buddying up is the density of mobs in the environment. If two players refuse to kill each other that's fine, the mobs will take care of it as the hunger gets stronger and stronger.

Whats that you say? Stay logged out? no no no, there is a rule that you must log in once every day or so or you get disqualified.

Thoughts?

Call it...

Highlander

"There can only be one!"

Better yet, when you cut their head off you assume all their powers.

Edited by ctark

I also do not want the campaign to end until there is only one player remaining.

What are you going to do if I am second last player, know that I can't take on you and just spend time hiding or just log off?

What are you going to do if I am second last player, know that I can't take on you and just spend time hiding or just log off?

It'd be cool if they simply shrunk the campaign world size for every less player a part of it; such that eventually it would be a one acre plot that does not leave much in the way of hiding.

Or just populate much of the outer areas with overpowered hunger-affected creatures that make hiding in the outskirts much harder as well forcing you to a central area.

[@--(o.O)@]

It'd be cool if they simply shrunk the campaign world size for every less player a part of it; such that eventually it would be a one acre plot that does not leave much in the way of hiding.

Or just populate much of the outer areas with overpowered hunger-affected creatures that make hiding in the outskirts much harder as well forcing you to a central area.

It sounds too much like arena.

Why not just have that, say 3v3 and 5v5 and have a ranking/ladder?

I was simply responding to your post of a way to prevent someone from hiding out and turtling a campaign.  If you looked into it any more than that then you looked too hard friend.

[@--(o.O)@]

Another possibility is to give the campaign a sort of vampyre theme- all characters must kill and consume the blood of other characters to survive.  If you go more than a day without killing and feeding, you die. If it came down to 2 players left and they just tried to hide from each other, the one who most recently killed would end up the winner.

edit: Also, along the whole vampyre theme- all characters could have an infinite-range track skill, scent of prey or something, which would serve as a way of discouraging the 'run & hide' strategy.

It's incredibly different from an arena if it starts as a huge world with thousands of players and only shrinks down as players are removed from the campaign.

Edited by karnos

Another possibility is to give the campaign a sort of vampyre theme- all characters must kill and consume the blood of other characters to survive.  If you go more than a day without killing and feeding, you die. If it came down to 2 players left and they just tried to hide from each other, the one who most recently killed would end up the winner.

edit: Also, along the whole vampyre theme- all characters could have an infinite-range track skill, scent of prey or something, which would serve as a way of discouraging the 'run & hide' strategy.

It's incredibly different from an arena if it starts as a huge world with thousands of players and only shrinks down as players are removed from the campaign.

I like this idea, a lot actually. Give players the ability to track other players and the hide and seek games are over. Solves a lot of problems. The game might shift more into some people building elaborate traps or setting up difficult circumstances for the attacker. 

Sounds good to me.