Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snowmizer

Nobody Will Visit/shop At Your Eternal Kingdom

The EK's are poorly thought out/ intentionally half-assed and everyone on the "hype" train is going to experience an unholy period of anhedonia when the high runs out.

Choo-choo all aboard the CRASH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle

But seriously though a reality check from all the rampant hyper-positivity is going to hit hard. The first mass negative action crowfall takes (i.e disagreeable decision) will be a glorious day to behold on these forums and I eagerly await it so real feedback can begin instead of this hyper-backpatting period.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

The EK's are poorly thought out/ intentionally half-assed and everyone on the "hype" train is going to experience an unholy period of anhedonia when the high runs out.

But seriously though a reality check from all the rampant hyper-positivity is going to hit hard. The first mass negative action crowfall takes (i.e disagreeable decision) will be a glorious day to behold on these forums and I eagerly await it so real feedback can begin instead of this hyper-backpatting period.

QFT

288mqgz.png

For what its worth, the EK concept is the one that has generated the most angst.  If, as likely, this is the rock the Good Ship Crowfall runs aground on, it won't surprise many.

I assume setting up a well built kingdom that has everything at disposal would be challenging and not as easy. Also correct me if Im wrong, I believe there is a limited number of "buildings/stands" you can have in your EK and each have a different use, so I think we would have different EKs that are going to be dedicated to a certain thing. 

Also maintaining a EK would most likely require you to visit it daily and do what ever it is that you're required to do for it and that needs a very dedicated player to do all that. 

Now these are all theories based on what Ive read on and what comes to mind, If anyone has any more knowledge on this please don't hesitate to current me.

And that is why I want the EK's to be able to be sieged and taken over.

I would start with yours.....

The only problem with this is that he wouldn't care because he'd be too busy in a campaign actually playing the game while you're sitting there circle jerking around an empty farmstead.

And that is why I want the EK's to be able to be sieged and taken over.

I would start with yours.....

You would be too busy sitting around bitching to get anything done, so I wouldn't really be worried

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Choo-choo all aboard the CRASH.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle

As long as there are no import campaigns and i don't have to spend a bunch of time playing the EK game to earn and maintain relic bonuses I just don't care what happens with the EK.

I'm guessing when the EK comes you and a bunch of others will be sitting there screaming:

"There are carebears in my Crowfall! There are carebears in my Crowfall! THERE ARE CAREBEARS IN MY CROWFALL AND I CAN'T KILL THEM ALL!!!"

Meanwhile I'll be sitting there in the Dregs or GvG fighting other players who want to be there and not giving a crap. I don't need huge numbers for the campaign I'm in to be fun and I think it will actually be more fun if there are less easy targets and more competitive opponents.

Yes, the EK is very apparently being set-up as a carebear catered feature. No, I don't care.

I don't get why people feel every single part of this game needs to be perfectly catered to them and their play style. We can do so many things with campaigns why not have something for everyone. It takes resources and splits the community but also provides resources and grows the community.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

actually, without doing campaigns to get mats to unlock cells, there will be zero foot traffic.  Ek is a single player housing until these cells are unlocked.  The population of an ek is capped based on the number of available land, IE, unlocked cells.

98% percent of all ek's will be crap.  The new meta game is who can make the biggest and baddest one out there.  The guild that does the best in the Campaigns will have the best ek's.

You can buy VIP tokens then trade those for Iron etc from the campaign. My bet is the biggest EKs will be bought with real money.

This is why pimping your EK can't be allowed to actually help you in campaigns.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y81IphGnWA

To me, this video says the purpose of building up eternal kingdoms it to determine which God is to rule.

I think the lore is a fun twist.

There will be front runner-ek's.  There will also be dark horses run by guilds, alliances, or simply like-minded crafters.

Not all Ek's will be of importance, but with ingenuity, many can be.

Edited by Forranach

PmnGhMD.jpg

í blóði er hefnd kvöl er ótta dýrð sorg ríkir

"The Dying Worlds" are the campaigns. That means the campaigns are meant to determine who should be the new king of the gods.

You are right, but Gordon has stated in a couple interviews that the "purpose" of campaigns are to bring resources to the ek's... following lore.... it is presumptive but not reaching all that much.

Win campaigns, to advance Ek's... I get that it's reaching, but it is the natural conclusion I come to, that the biggest EK's will eventually be the one's winning in the dying worlds, thus showcasing which God is to be king.

Edited by Forranach

PmnGhMD.jpg

í blóði er hefnd kvöl er ótta dýrð sorg ríkir

I assume setting up a well built kingdom that has everything at disposal would be challenging and not as easy. Also correct me if Im wrong, I believe there is a limited number of "buildings/stands" you can have in your EK and each have a different use, so I think we would have different EKs that are going to be dedicated to a certain thing. 

Also maintaining a EK would most likely require you to visit it daily and do what ever it is that you're required to do for it and that needs a very dedicated player to do all that. 

Now these are all theories based on what Ive read on and what comes to mind, If anyone has any more knowledge on this please don't hesitate to current me.

The point is you're going to be up against countless guilds looking to essentially min/max their kingdoms into being the biggest and the best. So you as an individual either have to accept being a backwater kingdom or donate all of your cool stuff to your guildleader... (and presumably allow him to reap the benefits). A lot of people are probably fine with this as "the EKs aren't the game". We'll have to see what they turn into going forward, I just imagine the largest guilds running the all the trade hubs and becoming filthy rich, while the rest of us look on in dismay at how this game was never meant to be P2W...Time will tell. :)

I am not a big forum poster, but I felt compelled to add a little to the discussion based off personal experience in other games.  While I too am concerned about how there will be any real incentive to visit strangers' EK's, perhaps we should take a lesson from UO and SWG.  In UO I was able to get a lot of traffic to my home/vendor by dropping runes on the ground in public areas for people to pick up that then gated them to my location.  Once there people could browse my stuff, and if interested buy something.  I focused on specific things like colored armor sets and treasure maps.  I generated a lot of traffic, but would not have had hardly any if I was not actively advertising it.  The same was the case in SWG.  I focused specifically on gun manufacturing, and because of this became one of the best gunsmiths on my server.  I actually stopped playing SWG because I was getting emails while at work (my real life work) wanting me to log in and make them something specific.  I would get home, and log in to see 10-12 people outside my in game house wanting me to craft them something.  It was insane.  It became my second job.  It all started from making guns for a few people, and then the word spread very quickly.  It was so bad that I had assistants that did nothing but collect materials from my harvesters for me.  I quit not because I was bored, but because I had TOO MUCH to do.  In retrospect, it was quite awesome when I look back on it.

In this game, I foresee that there will be massive guilds that are self sufficient.  They will have sprawling cities that are one stop shops for everything they need.  But there will also be plenty of smaller guilds, and even individuals that will need to shop elsewhere for what they need.  If this game will indeed rely almost entirely on player crafted wares, people will come visit your town... provided you have something to offer them at a reasonable price.

The two things that I think are most important in ensuring healthy commerce amongst EKs are variety and a well implemented advertising system.  By variety I mean that there must be many many types of necessary goods, and diversity among them.  I made guns in SWG, but so did a lot of other people.  The system in SWG allowed for a lot of customization in those guns, and large variations of quality (determined by the quality of inputs, and the skill of the crafter).  I became good at it, and was rewarded for it.  The same went for architects, armor crafters, etc.  And just because I was an excellent gunsmith, I was by no means self sufficient.  I still needed to visit other people's vendors for the things I needed.  And if you give people the ability to create/sell decorative items I guarantee there will be a market for that also; just look at how much is made off of skins in League of Legends.  They are completely unnecessary, but people buy them because they look "cool".

As for advertising, this is crucial.  If it becomes simply a system where you spam a trade channel, or flood message boards with posts it will not work.  There must be a creative way to do it that will eliminate bots and spammers flooding channels that people eventually just ignore.  I have a few ideas for this myself, but I would love to know how ACE is considering handling it.

Edited by Stovetopicus

Why are all crafting and economy talks based on the EKs?

That's just how players that can't abandon the old MMO crafting ways roll...

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Before you worry about your EK crafting empire, worry and plan how you are going to create one in the campaigns.

You will have to make friends that can protect you.

You will have to play smart to hold on to what you make.

You will have to accept loss of hard work.

Once you succeed doing these things in a campaign, you MIGHT have something left over to build your EK empire.

But, I want to bet anything, that the ones that doesn't quit in frustration and actually make it in the campaigns, will find the safe crafting empires hollow

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015