Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vip Minotaurs...

sheen

Yeah, my point was that having minotaur there for 1 month is stupid to complain about. But there are obviously some people who disagree with that, so meh. 

I probably could have pieced that together quicker in light of your other posts.   Guess I just wasn't paying that much attention.  Derp.

Edited by Decoy

Wait if I am reading what you are saying correctly, it means that if you buy the game (but not VIP, assuming your say not a backer) you can't play until a month after launch? How does that make sense? I can see if a certain archetype (specifically a KS reward) is locked but not EVERY archetype. Or else it is just a month early start for VIP players and not a real "launch". Plus why does a 1 month headstart matter then, wouldn't the people who didn't back just go into a new campaign that is starting opposed to the campaigns that we would already have been in for a month?

No, all initial 12 archetypes will be available to all players upon launch. The minotaur, however, is exclusive only to VIP members for the first month, after which it becomes available to all players.

"Remember: the greatest fault of a human being is to imagine oneself to be flawless; the next greatest is to imagine that acceptance of one’s faults negates said faults."

Wait if I am reading what you are saying correctly, it means that if you buy the game (but not VIP, assuming your say not a backer) you can't play until a month after launch? How does that make sense? I can see if a certain archetype (specifically a KS reward) is locked but not EVERY archetype. Or else it is just a month early start for VIP players and not a real "launch". Plus why does a 1 month headstart matter then, wouldn't the people who didn't back just go into a new campaign that is starting opposed to the campaigns that we would already have been in for a month?

I meant every other new archetype.

List of VIP perks:

“Passive training” (automatic skill advancement) for 3 of your characters

Priority access to all game servers 

Discount pricing on any purchases 

Minotaurs (for 30 days)

Somehow Minotaurs are the OP thing on that list.  It is crazy.   :rolleyes: 

It's an entire class, it's the most impactful thing to in game play on that list. 

The only archetype non-vip's have to wait 1 month to play is currently the minotaur and any future archetypes they add. As it stands now, non-vip's have 12 archetypes to choose from for character creation. Sheentard is arguing that having archetypes playable for 1 month by vip's prior to release to the non-vip peasants is pay to win. ACE has vehemently stated that archetypes will not be balanced for 1v1 and that every archetype will have a role in the grand scheme of the game. 

"But above all do not bind the anus all that there is congenial to your vision of paradise staff" - leonelion

Current ignore list because these people have no sense of reality or common sense: sheen, unknownxv, doomgrin, willwill, crowmagnonman, santa

I know you guys can keep bashing your heads against the wall for 8 more pages.  Raeshlavik was right, go go go!

It hurts, Robin... it hurts so much. My only solace is your beautiful song. When I shrivel away and die, sing songs and tell tales of my valor in this thread.

"Remember: the greatest fault of a human being is to imagine oneself to be flawless; the next greatest is to imagine that acceptance of one’s faults negates said faults."

Pay2Win advantages can be disguised in many forms. A lot of mmo game companies will add in P2W features that give only "minor advantages". But after a while, they add new P2W stuff, and then a little more P2W, and more, and more....until the game becomes nothing more than a whale frag fest.

Pay 2 win game features usually start off as innocent looking, mostly harmless little cash hooks. But after a game has been out for while, update changes, mechanics changes, more P2Win stuff added in, then it becomes obvious- it was a pay to win ordeal all along.

Players will figure out ways to get their monies worth out of whatever they bought, by hook or by crook, and leverage those combined 'little' p2w advantages into serious game bending/breaking advantages. At that point, the p2w isn't optional any more- it's must have or fail; pay2win.

<additional thoughts/rambling below>

In a game with a heavy PvP focus, p2w destroys the community. Sure the company still makes money for a while. But many of the most skillful, and most competitive members of the community will eventually feel cheated, and rebel/quit. That just killed the games community leaders. That game will die, and be ridiculed as "pay to win garbage" in the history books.

It seems pretty clear to me that ACE is already committed to embracing at least a little bit of p2w. While that may fly in the short term, history has shown that it will grow, and eventually lead to all the ills that p2w brings to a competitive gaming community.

But there is hope: DYING WORLDS! So long as the p2w advantages in the from the EK are kept in check by import rules, _AND_ other mechanics, ACE can in theory control how much p2w they allow in a campaign world, on a case by case basis.

Personally, I'm waiting to hear what kinds of options I have to stop, or counter enemy EK blessings in the campaigns.

Something more than "cozy up with some whales and get yours too dummy, or else p2w like them".

Knowing that would at least calm me down a little bit after seeing the ACE devs doing an interview with one of the most notorious rmt/gold sellers in the history of mmo gaming. Catch my drift yo?

This is a nice little post from another thread.  It's pretty clear which players actually have a lot of experience with how models and marketing techniques work, and which players are just a bit naive about such things.

Sounds like you don't understand what pay2win is actually.  Archeage is very heavily considered pay2win.  Also winning itself is subjective. 

pay2win =! pay2winforeveratalltimesineveryscenario. 

Pay to win means spending real money on a distinct advantage that you can only get by spending real money.  You just don't like microtransactions and premium subscriptions.  ArcheAge wasn't pay to win.  It was a miserably implemented milking scheme.  300g thunderstruck trees were available to everyone.

This is a nice little post from another thread.  It's pretty clear which players actually have a lot of experience with how models and marketing techniques work, and which players are just a bit naive about such things.

Once again I say, your ramblings will not change anything. If this is really such an abysmal idea for you, then leave. Stop investing time and possibly money into this idea. This is not the game for you.

But you won't listen. You will have some witty little retort that you will use to convince yourself that you can change the world and change the Dev's mind with your posts in this thread.

Oh well...

Edited by ishotmarvin

Pay to win means spending real money on a distinct advantage that you can only get by spending real money.  You just don't like microtransactions and premium subscriptions.  ArcheAge wasn't pay to win.  It was a miserably implemented milking scheme.  300g thunderstruck trees were available to everyone.

Pay to win means achieving in game power through rmt.

Archeage is considered heavily p2w.  That may not fit your own personal definition, but your personal definition is not the standard.

Once again I say, your ramblings will not change anything. If this is really such an abysmal idea for you, then leave. Stop investing time and possibly money into this idea. This is not the game for you.

But you won't listen. You will have some witty little retort that you will use to convince yourself that you can change the world and change the Dev's mind with your posts in this thread.

Oh well...

Or I can just share my view like everyone else on a forum meant for sharing views about the game. 

It's hard to take you seriously when you are so hyperbolic.  "Change the world" ? Really? 

Or I can just share my view like everyone else on a forum meant for sharing views about the game. 

It's hard to take you seriously when you are so hyperbolic.  "Change the world" ? Really? 

How dare I use a hyperbole to get my point across. By the way, what does it mean to say that I am hyperbolic? Does the graph of y = 1/x describe my general disposition? 

Your views and your comments in this thread have basically said, and correct me if I'm wrong, "this game is borderline, if not past the line, of pay to win. I hate pay to win with a passion". I believe that is an accurate summation of your opinion. If that is so, then this game is not for you because that is not going to change. They are going to give VIP members the bonus month on the minotaur and any new archetypes.

You have said that games which exhibit early "cracks" of pay to win will inevitably fall into a hole of pay to win. If you honestly believe this, then Crowfall will inevitably become another disgusting pay to win game. Since it's inevitable, it can't be stopped. You will obviously dislike the game once it's pay to win, so why not stop now, while you can still retract an investment if you've made one?

How dare I use a hyperbole to get my point across. By the way, what does it mean to say that I am hyperbolic? Does the graph of y = 1/x describe my general disposition? 

Your views and your comments in this thread have basically said, and correct me if I'm wrong, "this game is borderline, if not past the line, of pay to win. I hate pay to win with a passion". I believe that is an accurate summation of your opinion. If that is so, then this game is not for you because that is not going to change. They are going to give VIP members the bonus month on the minotaur and any new archetypes.

You have said that games which exhibit early "cracks" of pay to win will inevitably fall into a hole of pay to win. If you honestly believe this, then Crowfall will inevitably become another disgusting pay to win game. Since it's inevitable, it can't be stopped. You will obviously dislike the game once it's pay to win, so why not stop now, while you can still retract an investment if you've made one?

No my views have basically said, "They shouldn't be opening this can of worms". 

Nowhere have i indicated "omg avoid p2w or i quit".  I'll abuse VIP2W as much as the next min/maxer, it just makes for a lesser quality game. 

Can't you just trade someone for a VIP token for that month?

No.

You could later, but since the month Sheen is crying about is the first month after the game releases, you would have nothing to trade in order to get your VIP ticket.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

No my views have basically said, "They shouldn't be opening this can of worms". 

Nowhere have i indicated "omg avoid p2w or i quit".  I'll abuse VIP2W as much as the next min/maxer, it just makes for a lesser quality game. 

Fair enough. I still disagree regarding the existence of the proverbial can of worms, but whatever. Neither one of us will convince the other at this point.

Fair enough. I still disagree regarding the existence of the proverbial can of worms, but whatever. Neither one of us will convince the other at this point.

Yea it's just unfortunate that history is on my side.  Once a company sets a precedent for p2w type stuff in the cash shop they just continue to push the envelope and watch it bend. 

Yea it's just unfortunate that history is on my side.  Once a company sets a precedent for p2w type stuff in the cash shop they just continue to push the envelope and watch it bend. 

That is true. Luckily, I don't see what they're doing as the start of a precedent for pay to win. But, that's where we disagree. I suppose only time will tell if the game will become pay to win, so we should get back to one another in a couple years.

That is true. Luckily, I don't see what they're doing as the start of a precedent for pay to win. But, that's where we disagree. I suppose only time will tell if the game will become pay to win, so we should get back to one another in a couple years.

Problem is when that happens and people complain, they almost never reflect or blame themselves for not having seen it coming.