Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angelmar

Still No Gvg Ruleset

It's nice to have the option.  I'm really disappointed Shadows didn't make it into the next listed stretch goals.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

No, the Dregs is the ruleset you guys are going to want.  I picked the Dregs first because we might not have made ANY stretch goals, and I wanted to make sure you guys were covered on the core experience.  

My thoughts exactly, Dregs cut throating is the best.  GvG is just as soft as Three way.  Rules are for the weak.  Probably doesn't help that I'm weak and tender though.  I have to get hardy.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

My thoughts exactly, Dregs cut throating is the best.  GvG is just as soft as Three way.  Rules are for the weak.  Probably doesn't help that I'm weak and tender though.  I have to get hardy.

SInce they're going to have friendly fire on all the rulesets, you can technically kill anyone you want on any ruleset. The only difference with the non-Dregs rulesets is they have pre-set alliances instead of forcing you to make your own.

It makes sense to have the newbie friendly/casual rulesets in place.  In SB terms it provides a "Noob Island", though its more analogous to EVE's Empire space/low sec. A place where new players, casuals, and carebears can start out and ease their way into the level of risk and pvp they are comfortable with, while still keeping the subscription going.  At least we get Minotaurs out of the deal.

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again here - "casuals, newbies, carebears" aren't going to be in any of those rulesets unless they are serious about playing a game well out of their comfort zone. All of the rulesets have some form of looting - either full gear and inventory loot, partial gear/full inventory, or only full inventory. They also have friendly fire along with gear decay. These are ideas that, regardless of what the rest of the ruleset looks like - automatically make the game fairly hardcore.

It doesn't matter if you have three nice, "safe" factions when your friends can kill you because that's not exactly safe. It's not very carebear when you have to worry about upkeep costs on the gear you actually do have and when you can lose all gear you just earned or mat grinding you just did because you died before you could make it back to your castle and it was all in your inventory.

These are ideas that would make any carebear, or hardcore PvP game newb, rage pretty hard. You simply are not going to find those types of people in this game with the ideas currently in place and from what I've read so far, I don't think that ACE are trying to cater to them. By providing these alternate rulesets, they are trying to present alternate playstyles for their core, hardcore audience. Folks like you may not want to play those other rulesets, but they are certainly not designed for the standard fan of MMO OwPvP.

Edited by leiloni

No, the Dregs is the ruleset you guys are going to want.  I picked the Dregs first because we might not have made ANY stretch goals, and I wanted to make sure you guys were covered on the core experience.  

Once it was apparent we were going to be able to do more, I went back to 3 faction, because I was trying to test the edge cases of the design.

Then we picked 12 faction, because it supports the narrative.

Honestly, it was a gut call on which one should be done and in which order.  I think this is the right approach.

Todd

ACE

If you guys can figure out 12 way then the other campaign sets should be pretty easy to work out I'd imagine. I think it makes sense for that reason alone.

I role play a wordsmith.

So if Dregs is "everyone for themselves", does that mean that tehre is literally only ONE winner?  And everyone else is a loser?

Like in a 3 faction thing, it seems fairly simple - one faction is the winner other two are losers.  Same with guilds - one guild wins, others lose.  But literally one person?  That's a whole lot of losers.

I'd really love to see a clear and specific explanation of the ruleset differences between Shadow and Dregs.

If I had to guess/design, I would probably tend to think that you specify a guild when you join Shadow and cannot leave it, so factions are player-defined but static during the campaign, while Dregs campaigns allow for dynamic faction creation and changes during the campaign. That could be way off base though.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Once it was apparent we were going to be able to do more, I went back to 3 faction, because I was trying to test the edge cases of the design.

Then we picked 12 faction, because it supports the narrative.

Honestly, it was a gut call on which one should be done and in which order.  I think this is the right approach.

Todd

ACE

No doubt the order is a good call. I guess I don't understand why it's not there at all, or why it Shadows exists compared to Dregs. In your mind, what is the stated difference besides "gank a guildie"? Is it that Shadows requires you to lock in your guild to join the campaign and can't swap/merge/betray?

Please explain to the confused...

CF_Karg.png

No doubt the order is a good call. I guess I don't understand why it's not there at all, or why it Shadows exists compared to Dregs. In your mind, what is the stated difference besides "gank a guildie"? Is it that Shadows requires you to lock in your guild to join the campaign and can't swap/merge/betray?

This is where I am lost as well.

C4sIZDW.gif

What kind of mechanics do you want from The Shadows that you don't think will be in The Dregs?

A single spawn-point for the whole guild. Shared maps that update as soon as any player rolls back some fog of war (no enemy locations except those actually in view). Maybe a group chat option.

If friendly fire gets turned off in GvG campaigns, FFA would be the only ones to have it.

15. Does that mean that I can be hit by friendly fire?

Wherever possible, yes -- but we have to make sure that this is balanced. Some rules sets (like the infected worlds, which are Faction based) divide players automatically into teams. We have to make sure that players can't join teams specifically to take advantage of friendly fire to grief their own "teammates."

Our plan is to try and apply debuffs to players for doing damage to or killing their teammates (the gods curse you for your incompetence). If this proves not to be a good enough deterrent, however, we may have to turn friendly fire off for particular Campaign worlds.

Friendly fire has been touted as our strongest anti-zerg game mechanic yet.

I'd really love to see a clear and specific explanation of the ruleset differences between Shadow and Dregs.

If I had to guess/design, I would probably tend to think that you specify a guild when you join Shadow and cannot leave it, so factions are player-defined but static during the campaign, while Dregs campaigns allow for dynamic faction creation and changes during the campaign. That could be way off base though.

^ This

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

It seems pretty clear

- guilds are player-created teams

- Shadow has only 1 guild as winner and the rest get loser's share (default 20%)

- Dregs has only 1 individual person as winner and every other player gets the loser's share (default 0%)

There is a really good FAQ but I was able to get the answer for this off the front page of the kickstarter. http://crowfall.com/#faq

CopperStall

Dregs has only 1 individual person as winner and every other player gets the loser's share (default 0%)

I personally doubt that is true.  It would be great if ACE could clarify it though, because you are clearly not alone in believing that is how it will work.

EDIT:

Clarified:

todd coleman: @zenjah @CrowfallGame it's still a guild-based team structure. FFA just means you can whack your guildmates.
Edited by jah

IhhQKY6.gif

It seems pretty clear

- guilds are player-created teams

- Shadow has only 1 guild as winner and the rest get loser's share (default 20%)

- Dregs has only 1 individual person as winner and every other player gets the loser's share (default 0%)

There is a really good FAQ but I was able to get the answer for this off the front page of the kickstarter. http://crowfall.com/#faq

CopperStall

Nonononono.

There will be guilds in FFA.. which means sieges, conquering POIs, and guilds/alliances winning mechanics.

Did you ever play Darkfall? It's the same. Todd on twitter a couple of minutes ago:

"@SteveGladstone @CrowfallGame it's not the Hunger Games, there are still guilds. FFA means you can just kill your guildmates.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

Nonononono.

There will be guilds in FFA.. which means sieges, conquering POIs, and guilds/alliances winning mechanics.

Did you ever play Darkfall? It's the same. Todd on twitter a couple of minutes ago:

"@SteveGladstone @CrowfallGame it's not the Hunger Games, there are still guilds. FFA means you can just kill your guildmates.

That still leaves the question of what is the point of the shadows?

If it is literally that you can't kill your guild mates vs you can, that is just stupid.

C4sIZDW.gif