Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khron

Let’S Talk About Points Of Interest

Point of interest (POI) are intended to be strategic areas that people will want to maintain and control to help them win a campaign.   Each POI will also have a zone of control, unfortunately we don’t know too much about them.

Some concepts to keep in mind as we discuss each POI;

• Level of safety
  • Value in terms on economy
  • Value in terms of strategy
  • Cost

POI’s listed in resource map – Graveyard, Village, Fort, Stronghold, Mine, Quarry, Lumber Mill, and Blacksmith

Crowfall_ResourceMapConcept.jpg

My preference for villages, forts, and strongholds is for them to represent the size of an area that can be built on.  More plots = stronghold, fewer plots = villages.  I would also make an argument for limiting building types or tier based on the same sets of categories (no walls for villages).  While not my preference, an argument can be made for a SB style of city building where each of the POI’s come with ruined assets in a predetermined layout.

• Level of safety
    • Village – Low due to a lack of space for building defensive measures or the ability to produce walls that can’t be easily scaled or destroyed 
    • Fort – Medium, ability to build few defensive structures that auto attack (guards, or archer towers).  Buildings could also be upgraded to stand up to siege equipment, to a point. 
    • Stronghold – High, space for many defensive structures reducing tradeoffs.  Highly upgradable walls, space for choke points and traps 
  • Economic value
    • Village – Medium, limited space for crafting (don’t have room to place every type of crafting station).  Crafting stations can be upgraded to higher levels. 
    • Fort – Low, It lacks the space to build structures that can house crafting stations no banking functionality 
    • Stronghold – High, space to create multiple crafting stations and upgrade them allowing synergies between crafters. 
  • Strategic value
    • Village – Low, limited natural bottle necks, not on high ground. 
    •  Fort – High, natural chock points, high ground, and proximity to natural avenues of attack proximity to other POI’s is also low 
    • Stronghold – Medium, you need some space for building but you also want to take high ground. 
  • Cost
    • Village – Low, cheap buildings limited ability to upgrade 
    • Fort – Medium, higher cost defensive buildings that can be upgraded, limited quantity 
    • Stronghold – High, lots of space to build and upgrade buildings. 

Resource generating POIs like mines, quarries and lumber mills can vary quality, quantity, and tier.  Several different gathering techniques are available; ranging from PC’s performing gathering function to NPC’s being responsible for gathering.  The potential to upgrade production, quality, defense, and tier would also be appreciated.

• Safety – Low, hiring guards is enough to prevent the hunger from disrupting production (probably need 3 upgrades summer, fall and winter).  Anyone can come to a resource POI and collect.
  • Economic value – High, you need this stuff to build, pvp, and trade
  • Strategic value – Low, it wasn’t built here because it was easy to defend or was a great staging point for a war
  • Cost – Medium, upgrading protection, quality, quantity, or tier isn’t cheap.  It needs to painful enough that when attacked you are going to grab some folks put on some gear and go try and protect it.

Graveyards are the first place where zone of control seems to truly matter.  For me the zone of control essentially equals, if I die here I can re-spawn here.  Control of the graveyard reduces the penalty for spawning there.  Potential negative consequences could include resurrection sickness, and cost.  Another method would be binding to a graveyard, people could always re-spawn at the closest neutral graveyard.  Capturing a graveyard then gives you the ability to bind at that location.  I’d like to see graveyards where crypts (localized banks) could be built by the owner to allow people to re-gear after being killed

• Safety – Low, maybe some invulnerability so somebody can’t just sit at the graveyard spawn and insta-whack people who are loading in or trying to get some gear on.
  • Economic value – None
  • Strategic value – High, proximity to a fight when you die is key to getting back into the fight
  • Cost – reducing re-spawn penalties or adding banks should come at a high price

Summoning Circle is the POI that contains your embargo bank which is how resources are transported back to your EK at the end of a campaign.  The connotation of summoning circle could also indicate that this is where you are going to spawn at the start of a campaign.

• Safety – none, bring some folks to watch each other’s backs or hire some mercenaries
  • Economic value – negative, items placed in the embargo bank can’t be pulled back out.  I think you need to be able to destroy items in the embargo bank to make more space (say you filled it up with stone at the start of the campaign and then got lucky with a rare resource that you wanted to bank)
  • Strategic value – none
  • Cost – None

Thanks for reading so far.  Below this point are some ideas about additional POI’s:

• Other resource POIs – farms (cooking), gardens (alchemy), green house (alchemy), and magic wells (enchanting)
  • “Safe Area” (temple, starter village) – A location that solo players can gain a few moments of rest (this will probably be the most controversial point).  SB did it with towers that attacked the first person to do damage to another.  Other games essentially forced you to peace tie your weapons not giving you the option to attack anyone.  However its done this area does the following
    • Creates a spring board for people to jump into pvp 
    • Makes a social hub in a camping so solo players can meet other people without the KOS threat 
    • Your ability to craft is extremely limited in terms of the vertical but very broad because generally every workstation is represented 
  • Discipline runes – Not every rune is going to be dropped by the hunger (if any).  My gut says only one or two spawn points for each should be included in every world, I’m even partial to the idea of some not spawning at all.  Let’s say you want to take the werewolf discipline this means you need to kill the werewolf leader.  You will also need to find the lair that it keeps.  While not being a POI in the traditional sense (above), its rarity in the world does lend it to being a POI.
  • Collecting thralls – similar to discipline runes above where you need to find the dwarven forge master and kill him to capture his soul to be infused in the crafting process.  If he only spawns attacked to a forge then it becomes a POI to farm

That’s all I got, let me know what you think, and drop some of your own ideas around POI’s.

Edited by Khron

Not even going to read the whole thing, but I am glad people are talking strategy again. Commenting constructively would be like giving away trade secrets though...

Nice writeup OP. I hope this is something we can come to expect. +1

The only thing I don't see mention of is the food/warmth mechanic and the 'hunger'. I think some places will hold strategic value just based on providing basic survival needs.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

The only thing I don't see mention of is the food/warmth mechanic and the 'hunger'. I think some places will hold strategic value just based on providing basic survival needs.

I haven't seen much on food or warmth, and if I wanted to get way off topic I'd suggest that they be two mechanics that got FAQ updates.  My opinion, though, is that hunger could be addressed by farms and crafting up some food.  Warmth on the other hand is probably more of a pvp centric mechanic that requires you to kill other players for a better warmth boost or pve the "hunger" for a minor warmth boost.

Well thought-out post thanks for sharing. Would also be curious how roads may be used or maybe terrain modification for defensive purposes?

It's sad that the only thread I've seen in a while that has some legitimately good theory-crafting for PVP/Campaigns... gets piled under all the circlejerk trash that has come into GC. If OP had brought up P2W, how the game is turning carebear, or something 'edgy', it would already be at 5+ pages.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Something that had me puzzled.  If players were to respawn in the closest graveyard automatically, it would enable rival guilds to literally spawn camp their enemies by taking control of a graveyard and ganging up on the resurrectees.

My guess is that players will have a choice of which Graveyard to resurrect in.  But then I begin to think, where do we start in the Campaign?

Will there be Points of Interest where all players enter the World from when logging in?  How do we avoid griefers from killing those players?  I really hope the Devs find a good solution to this dilemma (And if there is already an obvious answer, hopefully someone on the forums already thought of it).

I'm excited to see how Graveyard mechanics will work though, respawning will certainly prove to be complex and interesting.  How punishing will death be?  Will we get heavy low duration debuffs to avoid giving zergs power through their sheer numbers?

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Something that had me puzzled.  If players were to respawn in the closest graveyard automatically, it would enable rival guilds to literally spawn camp their enemies by taking control of a graveyard and ganging up on the resurrectees.

My guess is that players will have a choice of which Graveyard to resurrect in.

I'm excited to see how Graveyard mechanics will work though, respawning will certainly prove to be complex and interesting.  How punishing will death be?  Will we get heavy low duration debuffs to avoid giving zergs power through their sheer numbers?

My vote would go to a system where you can bind to any graveyard by being there physically and when you die you re-spawn to the graveyard you are bound to.  This seems like a nice compromise between re-spawning to the closest and giving you the options to re-spawn anywhere.  When you first enter the zone you are auto bound to the closest graveyard.

How punishing will death be? Based on the interviews I've seen death won't set you back in character progression.  Depending on the rule set you are playing you may leave some or all of your gear on your corpse when you die.

In terms of buff/debuff on spawn? I'd like to see invulnerability for the person just spawned.  It should be long enough that you can run away from somebody trying to gank the graveyard.  It should also drop as soon as you preform an aggressive action.  You also need to be combat ineffective so you can't just zerg down a point, that should be a combination of not having gear right away and maybe a debuff to typical combat stats

Will there be Points of Interest where all players enter the World from when logging in?  How do we avoid griefers from killing those players?  I really hope the Devs find a good solution to this dilemma (And if there is already an obvious answer, hopefully someone on the forums already thought of it).

Because Summoning Circles are the location of the embargo bank and the POI is called "Summoning Circle" I'm going to guess that they are the entrance and exit to the world based on the lore.  For "terminator" rule sets I don't see too much overlap happening between trying to gank someone headed to the embargo bank and a newbie spawning in.  Two reasons for this, You can only join a campaign up to a certain amount of time, and placing items in your embargo bank early would be at the detriment to actually wining the game.

That said I am concerned about folks getting ganked by a Griefer as soon as the spawn into the world.  I don't want safety measures put around the embargo bank.  So hopefully we can anchor every newbie to a graveyard near a POI with some counter measures to Griefers.

Very good post. I can definitely agree that graveyards will be important because whoever controls the graveyards can control respawns and use that to gain ground in faction wars.

Edited by DraceR

Man these point of interest mechanics are getting me all excited.

Hope the graveyards play a role but i'm sure that binding to one of your choosing would be better.

Do we have any clear word from the devs about exactly how POIs produce resources? Do you just accumulate X stone per hour in a bin for as long as you control the quarry, or is there an active extraction process requiring characters to swing pickaxes?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Do we have any clear word from the devs about exactly how POIs produce resources? Do you just accumulate X stone per hour in a bin for as long as you control the quarry, or is there an active extraction process requiring characters to swing pickaxes?

Hopefully it's the latter, as it would make players strategically choose between needing to defend/be prepared for pvp or equip/do what's needed for collection. Would also make teamwork more and more necessary. Besides, (x) resource/sec is just plain boring.

I would prefer to see crafted gathering machines that have health, which gradually decreases over time... and is also fully destructible by the enemy.  They could also make it so that the machines require a little time to deploy and "spin-up"... and require # non-dead players within a radius (perhaps more players increase the gathering efficiency... maybe even requiring a special discipline).  This would allow players to still PvP defending the gathering machine.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Resources are taken out of the ground.

Materials comes from PoIs.

Resources can be made into materials and broken down again.

But at a great conversion rate

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015