Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lucius

JToddColeman, why did you make W101?

I'll accept that challenge, and I have confidence that you will lose.

I'm sure that the rest of Kings Isle staff enjoy the support and admiration of all the players out there who are generous with compliments. Barring a few perpetually unsatisfied wizards, the majority of us praise the dev teams for the beautiful art work and game mechanics they deliver. We generally take care of the people who provide us entertainment.

After all, for the most part, we respect them enough to not deliberately break their games by trying to run off anyone who wants to venture into the Spiral.

The very title of this thread implies that Coleman single handedly made the 101 games. The attitude if the posters implies his was the sole vision for the design of that game and this game.

This attitude belittles the work of the rest of the studio. Take the man off the pedestal.

Edited by agelmar

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

It's actually a great question. No, of course I don't make these games myself, but I am always there are the very beginning. So it begs the question: why these games?

The short answer is: I like to do things that other people aren't doing. Often, things that go against "prevailing wisdom" of the time.

When Shadowbane was first announced, there was no concept of "PvP" in an MMO. It was called player killing (aka PK) and considered "bad behavior" by the industry at large. By announcing a game that included players fighting other players, we put ourselves contrary to industry wisdom. We got a lot of attention, but also a lot of backlash. It turns out, it can be very fun and very popular.

With Wizard101, no one in the industry (and by that I mean the publishers) were interested in the idea of MMOs for casual audiences. Remember, this was pre-WoW and the prevailing wisdom at that time was "every player who might be interested in an MMO is already playing EverQuest, so everyone who builds an MMO is going to be competing for a slice of that same group of about 400k players."

The idea of a creative making different offerings for different people isn't really uncommon; it just doesn't happen as much in video games for some reason. It's quite common in other mediums. For example:

Tolkien made Lord of the Rings for adults, and the Hobbit for younger readers.

Spielberg made Poltergeist and Shinder's List, but also E.T. and Goonies.

Robert Rodriuez made Desperado and Sin City, but also a bunch of Spy Kids movies.

GRRM wrote the Ice Dragon, as well as Game of Thrones.

I am incredibly proud of what the team accomplished with Wizard101 and Pirate101. With 50 million players, we have every right to be proud! They are great games, even if they aren't for you.

I've never tried to make a game "for everyone" and I never intend to. Crowfall is no different. Once you see it, some of you will love it, some will hate it, some will think it is brilliant and some will argue vehemently that it will never work.

And then we'll make it, and find out.

Todd

ACE

ps. please note that I used the above list of names for examples only, I am in NO WAY implying that any of my work would ever be included on a lists like this one. But if I used artists and examples that you've never heard of, I don't think the point would have been made.

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

The very title of this thread implies that Coleman single handedly made the 101 games. The attitude if the posters implies his was the sole vision for the design of that game and this game.

This attitude belittles the work of the rest of the studio. Take the man off the pedestal.

Sorry, I never meant to imply that, but things I've read indicated he had a large influence on both games and lead both companies. It's no different than saying Brian Fargo made Fallout or Cliff Bleszinski made Gears of War, for example. Anyway, wasn't trying to disrespect the teams involved.

@JToddColeman

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by lucius

Heavens no, a hefty portion of the player base is over 50.  :)

heh..i'm over 50...what of it?

oh yes...and pumpkins?

oh hell no....we start with napalm and work up from there....

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Wizard101 looks like it was made for tweens. Is that community full of tweens? No wonder they're crying so hard about us SB folks. We played SB longer than they've been alive.

The wizards who are currently here are generally adults 20s-50s. I'm sure there are a few outliers who are a bit younger, including my teen son. Practically every wizard here is also a long-term player from beta or early release of W101, about 6 years for most of us. 

If you'd like a tour of the Spiral, feel free to ask for one :)

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Wizard101 looks like it was made for tweens. Is that community full of tweens? No wonder they're crying so hard about us SB folks. We played SB longer than they've been alive.

yo dude, you do know that playing sb doesn't make you or me better than anyone else right

get over yourself

gtlLXYT.png

we start with napalm and work up from there....

+1

OT: Use musicians or artists as an example. It's not uncommon for those individuals to be considered "ahead of their time" with the work they do and as such cannot make a reasonable living by stubbornly refusing to play any music he/she didn't 100% love. Those are your stereotypical "starving artists." Others understand that if they want the freedom to play their own poorly made socks they've still got to pay the bills.

SB was ahead of its time and due to various technical shortcomings coupled with the brutality of SB pvp and politics meant there was virtually no way it could self-sustain from a budgetary perspective. Moving from a small-niche pvp game that collapsed under the weight of its own awesomeness (SB) to a widely-accessible game that benefits largely from double subscribers (most adults that play w101 are doing so as a way to spend time and find commonality with his/her children) was a smart financial move either way. Knowing full well that the niche created by UO and SB isn't really commanding any larger share of the market now than it was in 2003 meaning that even with flawless server/client performance and great balance it's still not likely to be a very profitable venture due to the viciousness inherent to a sandbox pvp-centric mmo.

W101 and P101 look like a successful attempt at gaming the market to fund a less-popular project the developers are heavily passionate about.

2eyfm20.jpg

If you'd like a tour of the Spiral, feel free to ask for one :)

That sounds... unpleasant. Getchya lubes ready Doc, these folks are expecting you comply like a respectful, contributing member of society should.

2eyfm20.jpg

i dunno dren...EVE is just as cuthroat as we are...and they've made quite a bit of coin since they launched in 03

i think it can be done...as long as your expectations are realistic...it ain't gonna do WoW numbers, but you don't haf to....yes?

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

I believe that wizard101 is one of the best games so i wouldnt call colemans decision to create wizard101 a bad decision maybe wolfpack suits colemans style more than kingsisle but wizard101 isnt just a game for kids for me is the game every harry potters fan would play

No, not to be mean (I have played that game), but wizard101 really didn't require any skill and was one of those games that you could learn in a couple of days.

The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be.

i dunno dren...EVE is just as cuthroat as we are...and they've made quite a bit of coin since they launched in 03

i think it can be done...as long as your expectations are realistic...it ain't gonna do WoW numbers, but you don't haf to....yes?

Excelsior!

EvE's biggest flaw for me was the god-awfully slow progression. I love some of what they did but I think a lot of their stability was more a product of an outrageously talented and impassioned staff than an indication of growing interest in PvP amongst mmo gamers. Things like the journalism involved with an in-depth server-wide news organization and whatnot are a real drain on resources for an MMO that large but it was that attention to detail that helped players feel truly engaged in the EvE universe. Once you've got a player emotionally and intellectually engaged you're far less likely to lose that player to a competitor even if they aren't your archetypal PvP'er. Edited by drenath-x-

2eyfm20.jpg

That sounds... unpleasant. Getchya lubes ready Doc, these folks are expecting you comply like a respectful, contributing member of society should.

wait...expecting...?

of moi?

no one is that silly, ffs...

but i know the pieces fit...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

+1

OT: Use musicians or artists as an example. It's not uncommon for those individuals to be considered "ahead of their time" with the work they do and as such cannot make a reasonable living by stubbornly refusing to play any music he/she didn't 100% love. Those are your stereotypical "starving artists." Others understand that if they want the freedom to play their own **** they've still got to pay the bills.

SB was ahead of its time and due to various technical shortcomings coupled with the brutality of SB pvp and politics meant there was virtually no way it could self-sustain from a budgetary perspective. Moving from a small-niche pvp game that collapsed under the weight of its own awesomeness (SB) to a widely-accessible game that benefits largely from double subscribers (most adults that play w101 are doing so as a way to spend time and find commonality with his/her children) was a smart financial move either way. Knowing full well that the niche created by UO and SB isn't really commanding any larger share of the market now than it was in 2003 meaning that even with flawless server/client performance and great balance it's still not likely to be a very profitable venture due to the viciousness inherent to a sandbox pvp-centric mmo.

W101 and P101 look like a successful attempt at gaming the market to fund a less-popular project the developers are heavily passionate about.

Since sole image posts are not allowed, this text should do it.

giphy.gif

Edited by nefastus

Or not. Ignorance is bliss.

Lubes...Like whiskey? Cause I love some whiskey. Munitions of peace, according to Henry David Thoreau. 

Cheers!

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.