Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranger Professions

mandalore

I will laugh so hard if the "prestige class" options are Ranger, Steward and Builder. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

• 1 month later...

Just now seeing this post, oops! As funny and debatably awesome as that would be, I'm not sure there'd be a big pull for Stewards and Builders, haha. I'm predicting there'll be a fairly standard range of available crafting professions. Assuming that and that Rangers may be medium-type armor wearers with ranged/melee combat capabilities (all educated speculations of course), I anticipate that armor and weapon crafting/upgrading will be valuable, to say the least. I'm not sure if arrows will be a finite resource - if so, being able to mass produce your own arrows would be critical. Of course there's the possibility of fantasy game go-to's like potion crafting/alchemy, medical supply crafting, enchanting, etc. Given the lore of Rangers being survivalist types, some kind of bonus to gathering abilities in the context of support/survivability-based professions (potions, medical, gear upgrading/maintenance) could be fittingly cool to see. Who knows, maybe there won't be a limit to how many profession skills players can utilize per character. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take crafting specializations, hopefully a more detailed update in the near future.

Would it be possible to establish a ranger archetype around using limited equipment like bolas, caltrops, bear traps, pit falls, wire traps.  So you have to plan a fight well before it starts and sue team work to be able to fight.  Instead of having cool downs they have limited equipment to work with.  Say I only have one bola left do i use it to trip the centaur charging at me or try to stop the assassin from running away betting on my skills to jump out of the way.  I want to make those kinds of life death decisions with my character to make it really immersive.  I feel like this is more of my play style of edging an opponent into a terrain they feel comfortable in only to find out that it is a trap.

What happens if you get ambushed? You would stand no chance. Like you couldnt even put up a fight. I could understand having traps and special items like bolas be inventory items, so you have to balance inventory space with consumable items like that though!

Would it be possible to establish a ranger archetype around using limited equipment like bolas, caltrops, bear traps, pit falls, wire traps.  So you have to plan a fight well before it starts and sue team work to be able to fight.  Instead of having cool downs they have limited equipment to work with.  Say I only have one bola left do i use it to trip the centaur charging at me or try to stop the assassin from running away betting on my skills to jump out of the way.  I want to make those kinds of life death decisions with my character to make it really immersive.  I feel like this is more of my play style of edging an opponent into a terrain they feel comfortable in only to find out that it is a trap.

Not to be a wet blanket, but this is a MMORPG video game.  Not a pen and paper RPG.  While a really cool concept you propose here, it really doesn't translate well into the genre of Crowfall.

The only way this could work effectively if every single other archetype/profession was similarly realistic and immersive, and that's just an unrealistic goal if this game ever wants to see the light of day and be profitable :)

• 3 weeks later...

I do like this idea. This also creates a gold sink or  more revenue for a ranger that makes extras.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

Not to be a wet blanket, but this is a MMORPG video game.  Not a pen and paper RPG.  While a really cool concept you propose here, it really doesn't translate well into the genre of Crowfall.

The only way this could work effectively if every single other archetype/profession was similarly realistic and immersive, and that's just an unrealistic goal if this game ever wants to see the light of day and be profitable :)

Not necessarily. For you to set up traps it makes sense to have to use items to do it therefore limiting the amount you can have. I would say still have cooldowns and all but certain skills require an item along with it.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln