Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doc gonzo

No Moar "carebear", Imo...

That was the goal of my example. Instead of playing a PvP game. Every guild allied together with a few hundred people to eliminate a guild with less than a hundred because we were PvPing.

We came up with another term for people that did this later on after LoD left, nut cuppers or cuppers for short. Carebears are people that avoid pvp at all costs, love to help other people they don't know, ect. think hippies irl.

That was the goal of my example. Instead of playing a PvP game. Every guild allied together with a few hundred people to eliminate a guild with less than a hundred because we were PvPing.

I'm not in any way saying that it was a bad time. Care-bears made SB fun. I was just giving an example of how the term care-bear came about and what it actually meant when it originated in SB.

It's not because you were pvping, lots of people were pvping, it's because LoD were a threat. You didn't just raid guilds and make them hurt, you wiped them out (or at least implied that this was your aim). 

This isn't defending those guilds by the way, but the very fact that you got sworn enemies to cease fighting and focus on you instead says a lot about their perception of LoD. I have a massive amount of respect for LoD's combat ability, and I would still rank you guys among the top groups I've fought against, but similarly I do not forget the brutal methods you guys employed to so thoroughly dominate. 

Edited by M0rdred

I didn't play Shadowbane, but what I have heard second hand is that the "carebears" were the ones who built the cities while the "non-carebears" went around destroying them.

See...without the "carebears" around, there would have been nothing to destroy.

Same for Darkfall Online. The most belligerent guilds on the EU servers didn't have ANY holdings...I mean NONE, but they prided themselves for going around and wreaking havoc in the "carebear" cities.

In Shadowbane in order to play effectively you had to have a city. You either subbed to a guild with a city or had your own. So the PvP guilds all had cities as well as the carebears (PvE guilds/RP guilds). Each shield is a city:

ScreenShot000139%20copy_zpsdrobqwzh.gif

Without carebears the game would have been the same. The PvP guilds all fought against each other day in and day out. The PvE guilds formed massive alliances and recruited mass members in order to eliminate these PvP guilds. Without them, pking would be more competitive if anything. Alas, everyone had their place in Shadowbane which is what made the game great. No one was separated by servers. If a PvP guild wanted to stop us from killing them then they had to kill us first.

I didn't play Shadowbane, but what I have heard second hand is that the "carebears" were the ones who built the cities while the "non-carebears" went around destroying them.

See...without the "carebears" around, there would have been nothing to destroy.

Same for Darkfall Online. The most belligerent guilds on the EU servers didn't have ANY holdings...I mean NONE, but they prided themselves for going around and wreaking havoc in the "carebear" cities.

I would think someone had to do it.  geez  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I have a couple thoughts on Gonzos.

First and foremost, it's a little sad to me how ignorant some of these hardcore PvPers are to the ability of supposed Gonzos in-game. The term has been widely applied to a variety of people, and it isn't quite warranted. 

To me, though, it's more a matter of courtesy. If you're calling me a Gonzo because of what games I've played in the past, or because I recognize that even ArtCraft has placed on PvE in the game and seek to perfect that aspect, then so be it! I readily admit to being a Gonzo in that case, and it only means I get to laugh harder if I somehow manage to kill you in Crowfall.

However, if you use the term (and many do) as a sort of holier-than-thou, I'm-better-than-you, You-don't-belong-here kind of thing, then I'm not sure I approve. See, there are plenty of terms I can think of for the people who so rudely welcome this other audience that doesn't share their exact interests, but I don't believe the forum allows those words.

["Care/bears" = Gonzos. Dangit, Tully. LOL.]

You're a custard riot golden boy

288mqgz.png

We came up with another term for people that did this later on after LoD left, nut cuppers or cuppers for short. Carebears are people that avoid pvp at all costs, love to help other people they don't know, ect. think hippies irl.

There's the term I was looking for...nut cuppers. I was going to add onto my post that the term carebear had evolved over time in Shadowbane and the term nut cupper took its original place but I couldn't remember the name.

It's not because you were pvping, lots of people were pvping, it's because LoD were a threat. You didn't just raid guilds and make them hurt, you wiped them out (or at least implied that this was your aim). 

This isn't defending those guilds by the way, but the very fact that you got sworn enemies to cease fighting and focus on you instead says a lot about their perception of LoD. I have a massive amount of respect for LoD's combat ability, and I would still rank you guys among the top groups I've fought against, but similarly I do not forget the brutal methods you guys employed to so thoroughly dominate. 

I wasn't necessarily attempting to promote a discussion about the Death Server but instead to clarify what a carebear was. I don't hold anything against those guilds and to be honest LoD was/is a guild of unpleasant people. We always will be, Shadowbane's motto was "Play to Crush" and we took that to heart. We did it as a guild, others did it with alliances because it was easier than manning up and using skill.

I wasn't necessarily attempting to promote a discussion about the Death Server but instead to clarify what a carebear was. I don't hold anything against those guilds and to be honest LoD was/is a guild of unpleasant people. We always will be, Shadowbane's motto was "Play to Crush" and we took that to heart. We did it as a guild, others did it with alliances because it was easier than manning up and using skill.

Yeah I know. It was just when you claimed that others allied against you because you were the only ones pvping grated me the wrong way, so I felt that I had to say something :) 

Carebear is an insult for someone else.

Phone gamers.

As for me, getting called care bear when you're practical with your time...

If you've played games for any amount of time you know that grinding, and hogwash, is not worth being "elite".

Grinding is just time gating people who have lives to live out of content deemed 'too good' for them.

Its part of skinner box design.

I don't want a new addiction, I want a game worth playing.

If your games only worth playing for an hour at a time, then thats what you get out of me...thats how that works. Asking for more, is going to require work on your part to compete for my time.

Your game is never going to be worth ALL of my free time, there are too many competing products, and games and experiences worth living, to just bottle myself off for your product.

...well thats the rant the topic brought out of me.

Edited by Zomnivore

In SB, you couldn't burn a city without owning one. As doc said in his original post, even the SB "carebears" fought regularly, burned towns, and had towns burned.

Gonzos work for me.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

Yeah I know. It was just when you claimed that others allied against you because you were the only ones pvping grated me the wrong way, so I felt that I had to say something :)

When I say PvP what I actually mean is everything that we did in Shadowbane. rPK, PK, grief, ToL Camp, forum propaganda (Alert the Clutch), burn down cities at 2am, and much more. I would even pk allied groups because what fun is a game where you're friends with everyone? There is nothing personal about killing someone's pixels, just good entertainment. I can't tell you how many KGB on the Vengeance server I killed by randomly summoning one of their members off the /who list into the middle of our stack.

Out of the guilds that we obliterated from Shadowbane it wasn't because they rolled any of our groups during a pk run. As far as i can remember it was only the guilds that made the promise of wiping us from existence, reporting us for powerleveling, or things of that nature.

I would even pk allied groups because what fun is a game where you're friends with everyone?

Remind me to never ally with you guys ;)

Seriously though, I get you, it was just the terminology that set me on edge. 

SB coming after UO, where there was a real sense of bad blood between Reds and Blues meant that PKing just felt wrong to many people. Now that the player base is more sensitised to this type of combat thanks to games like Eve, I do wonder how Crowfall will be different because of that. That said, PK still feels like a dirty word to me, but that wont stop me launching raids against my enemies.

Remind me to never ally with you guys ;)

Haha. Everyone has to start somewhere. The majority of the people I now game with under the LoD flag have started as my enemy. I could tell you stories about epic battles I have had against my own clan mates. That to me is far more memorable than talking with clan mates about that one time we killed a fire breathing dragon.

That said, PK still feels like a dirty word to me, but that wont stop me launching raids against my enemies.

PK to me is a group of 10 running around the map looking for other players to kill. A PK group of PK run was the most fun in SB was the most fun I have ever had in a game. You get a string of 6 or 7 groups that you roll in a row and get that unstoppable feeling. Then you run into a group of 40 with your 8 and quickly become an LoD speed bump. Then we all switch to our spec group character groups and go stomp out that group of 40. Nothing more enjoyable.

Edited by Anti

carebears countdown

CLOWN :)

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

Good reading.  Lmao, really.

I never thought of carebear as an insult, just a description.   I probably am a carebear.  I always enjoyed making characters and trying to tweak them more that just wandering around looking for someone to kill.  But then, I never hesitated to kill anyone that was wandering around looking for a fight.  And banes were fun, although mines were more bore than action.

But yea, I am a carebear.

Edited by surbear

can someone say the cb word again for me? 

Gonzo...

hey, you asked...

:D

I am SOOOO sad that I missed out on this fun.   The filter is my custard favorite part of these forums and I missed Tully posting Doc. :wub:  :wub:   Dammit!!!!  

I still laughed super hard, though.  And I will admit to being a SB carebear... I'll still tear down your pixels, though!

Edited by mal