Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dead sparrow

Is CF pure PvP? J Todd's response:

Actually, historically most of the soldiers used in warfare were peasants from the farm sent by the feudal lords when troop levies were raised... The Lords themselves did not do the fighting, and the professional army (in the sense of a large scale standing army) is a relatively modern idea.

You need to do a little research my friend and/or take or retake a few higher level history courses.

The "Modern" Army dates to the mid 1600's and large scale standing armies date back to before the 6th Century or do you think that the Roman Empire just went around and whipped up a force when they thought hey were needed?  Also European Kings and the lower aristocracy kept professionals on retainers called "Men-at-arms". The Peasant militias of Europe were only space filler or as we call them today "cannon fodder".

The New Model Army of England was formed in 1645 by the Parliamentarians in the English Civil War, and was disbanded in 1660 after the Restoration. It differed from other armies in the series of civil wars referred to as theWars of the Three Kingdoms in that it was intended as an army liable for service anywhere in the country (including in Scotland and Ireland), rather than being tied to a single area or garrison. Its soldiers became full-time professionals, rather than part-time militia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Model_Army

The Imperial Roman Army was composed of the standing forces deployed by the Roman Empire during thePrincipate era (30 BC – AD 284). Under the founder–emperor Augustus (ruled 30 BC – AD 14 ), the legions, which were formations numbering about 5,000 heavy infantry recruited from the ranks of Roman citizens only, were transformed from mixed conscript and volunteer corps soldiers serving an average of 10 years, to all-volunteer units of long-term professionals serving a standard 25-year term. (Conscription was only decreed in emergencies.) In the later 1st century, the size of a legion's First Cohort was doubled, increasing the strength of a legion to about 5,500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army

There were 12 legions so the total standing Imperial army was 60,000 which for the logistics of the era was very large.

Man-at-arms was a term used from the High Medieval to Renaissance periods to describe a soldier, almost always a professional warrior in the sense of being well-trained in the use of arms, who served as a fully armoured heavy cavalryman.[a] It could refer to knights or noblemen, and to members of their retinues or to mercenaries in companies under captains. Such men could serve for pay or through a feudal obligation. The terms knight and man-at-arms are often used interchangeably, but while all knights equipped for war certainly were men-at-arms, not all men-at-arms were knights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-at-arms

The majority of the forces that fought on all sides of the 30 years war were professional mercenaries hired by Kings and the various nobility of the Germanies and very few militias saw action during that time and I didn't even get into the Italian Condottieri or the Spanish Tericio's

Edited by gauis

Geeze, I'm not expecting Wiz at all -- but if others can loot me and undo my hard work; if they can attack me at all in any way, shape or form -- it's still a deal breaker and I will decided I'm one of those in the category not for everybody.  So not interested in that.

I'm curious what your expectations are from a game with a motto of "Play 2 Crush".

Especially consider this wording:

I want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose.

Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE.

Don't quote the post unless you're going to quote it throughout, "It won't be the main activity for all players" is a vastly different sentence than "it won't be main activity." Now from the post, you can only assume PvP will play a huge role in the game, and is more than likely a common thing to occur. But it also cleverly states there can be other dedicated playroutes than just PvP, I am willing to bet some players can go on a full-time crafting career, but that remains to be seen.

I don't think you can safely assume anything about the game for all we know J Todd could simply mean Some players will devote their game time to the PVP arena while others will devote that time elsewhere. After all an activity can be a "major" focus without being a "main" or "only major" focus. I feel J. Todd's statment basically said yes PVP will be in game and important to a portion of the player population but it will be balanced with other activities as well. Edited by stargazer

and here i take it as i will be able to eat your horse...

i know...i'm hoping for a lot here

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I don't think you can safely assume anything about the game for all we know J Todd could simply mean Some players will devote their game time to the PVP arena while others will devote that time elsewhere. After all an activity can be a "major" focus without being a "main" or "only major" focus. I feel J. Todd's stamen basically said yes PVP will be in game and important to a portion of the player population but it will be balanced with other activities as well.

I am not trying to poke at you or anything, but did you read the manifesto? 

If you put these 2 together

"

I want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose.

Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE." 

From manifesto

From Todd's Twitter ..

I'll say: it won't be the main activity for all players, but it will be a major focus of the game.

Emphasis on major focus here ...

I just don't see how anyone could link an arena style game play seperate from other elements of the game based off of what has been released so far. I don't know what else to say other than I am pretty sure this is going to be open world pvp here.

Edited by sarin

"

Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE." 

From manifesto

From Todd's Twitter ..

I'll say: it won't be the main activity for all players, but it will be a major focus of the game.

I just don't see how anyone could link an arena style game play seperate from other elements of the game based off of what has been released do far. I don't know what else to say other than I am pretty sure this is going to open world pvp here.

Manifesto is manifesto, look at gw2's manifesto... they failed to deliver on much of it...  Any game that is trying to generate interest these days usually makes wild farfetched claims to try and distinguish themselves... and then they slowly crawl back into the wow standard...

That quote's pretty much telling people that they are trying to be PC and that it's not going to be some hardcore ffa pvp game...

I disagree, I read it as this is going to be a ffa pvp game but will have other options for other play styles as well. Just my interupation based off the manifesto and what hey have said so far.

I could be wrong, if I am I hope they are planning something that will work for the mass players they seem to have intended to bring in here from the beggining.

I disagree, I read it as this is going to be a ffa pvp game but will have other options for other play styles as well. Just my interupation based off the manifesto and what hey have said so far.

I could be wrong, if I am I hope they are planning something that will work for the mass players they seem to have intended to bring in here from the beggining.

here's to Hoping....

and to passing Proto on the "leaderboards"

w00t!

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

Manifesto is manifesto, look at gw2's manifesto... they failed to deliver on much of it...  Any game that is trying to generate interest these days usually makes wild farfetched claims to try and distinguish themselves... and then they slowly crawl back into the wow standard...

Hey call me an optimist I guess lol 

I just don't see why they would be using the play2crush.com as a link ( which wasn't theirs before ) and seemed to have teamed up with 2 of the main people who have had a great deal of experience with pvp games .. uo/sb/swg etc ... it just all points to that. How the system exactly works we will see.

"

From manifesto

From Todd's Twitter ..

I just don't see how anyone could link an arena style game play seperate from other elements of the game based off of what has been released so far. I don't know what else to say other than I am pretty sure this is going to be open world pvp here.

Allies, enemies, alliances, betrayal, risk and conquest can take many forms not just that of PVP/shadowbane varieties. WE may face dungeon instances were you need to form alliances with other players or have allies help to fight through them only to get to treasure rooms were only 1 or 2 can leave with any loot so you have to betray those you came in with which adds risk and a conquest element.

Here's my interpretation. Everyone at some stage will have to face armed combat against another player.

This is a world of conflict.

There will be times you are going to have to fend off raiders. Whether you choose to make your existence in the game as a passive crafter or an aggressor, at some time you will engage in battle whether that is because you personally have been attacked or your town (city) is under threat. 

Depending on your cities wealth the town could be heavily fortified.

There is many exciting variables that our game developers could bring into all of this.

Not saying that you cannot choose to lead a more passive existence, it's just that you need to be skilled enough to fend off attacks should they happen.

Edited by ozzie mozzie

288mqgz.png

There won't be instanced raids for loots. This is not that game. They have made that very clear.

gawd...i hope yer right....

can we get cannibalism?

that would be a good feature....nothing like a good meal after a big fight....

was that my out loud voice?

again?

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

"

From manifesto

From Todd's Twitter ..

I think all of the evidence backs up what you're saying. I was completely unsure what to think at first, but this is definitely going to have a heavy pvp emphasis...it'll be open world, guild based, with the non-pvp stuff basically being there to support the pvp, even if only tangentially. anyway, I agree with your overview here...and I like it a lot, i'm getting more and more interested in this way CF is going.

Take that twitter quote, take the manifesto, AND take dev replies here, and it sounds like this company is going a long ways to woo the pvper's. Now it's either all bs, and we end up walking away or the game will be open pvp with looting.

The dev replies ALL are hinting at open pvp.

Yes couldn't agree more.

It's a world at conflict. Heavy PvP base open world, guild based.

I wouldn't mind being able to own the bar/tavern personally. I reckon that would suit my needs entirely at this point of my gaming advanced years.

I could poison the people I hate. :ph34r:

Ply people with much ale to learn secrets. B)  Gosh gamer heaven for meh!

Oh Please let me own the bar!!

288mqgz.png