Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Falcons As Surveillance Drones

Jihan

Heavily in favor of this idea if implemented as a discipline. There should definitely be some cost to having that utility.

Also the falcon being unable to spot small creatures is kind of counterintuitive to the fact that its a custard falcon.

Edited by kairus

How about when you send a falcon* up in the air to scout, you don't actually get the information on what it saw until it comes back and lands on you.

It goes up, does a sweep, comes back down, and finds you, and then updates your map with whatever it saw. That way if it say, dies, before it finds you again then you don't get the info on what it saw. The RvR for this could be the longer it stays in the air the more likely it is to be spotted, shot, or attacked by another enemy players bird.

*whatever flying bird.

"Fear not now for your mortal life, for your sanctum is here among the dead."

Personally, if done correctly, I see this as improving gameplay, not as impacting it negatively.

There would be no point to having boots on the ground scouting when you can get a better view from the air, and have zero risk to your PC.

Let the character fly if you wish to scout from the air.

Edited by vandarr

CF_Van.png

There would be no point to having boots on the ground scouting when you can get a better view from the air.

You wouldn't be able to scout inside a keep with boots on the ground anyway, so why not let a guy with a falcon do it?

I'm fully expecting characters who take those pet disciplines to be less able in combat compared to someone who took 3 combat-type disciplines, so why not let them have something like this that adds something to their utility?

7ug90hM.png

Every action should have an inherent danger to the PC when you are in a combat setting. Having a pet bird scout for you does not endanger the PC, and it removes a significant portion of player skill (and fun!) from how the battle develops.

CF_Van.png

Every action should have an inherent danger to the PC when you are in a combat setting. Having a pet bird scout for you does not endanger the PC, and it removes a significant portion of player skill (and fun!) from how the battle develops.

You know that they can just add a max range and/or time on it, right? For example you could only scout with it for 20 seconds and only 75 yards away.

Also, how is it not putting your character in danger when you are completely leaving your character 100% vulnerable by standing still?

7ug90hM.png

Death of the bird leads to feedback to whoever's controlling it, either incapacitation or death for them as well?  Falcon dogfights in the air!

Good birds are hard to find, take time to train.  You have to have a fully trained bird before you can see through it's eyes.  Maybe even no direct control of the falcon, set general parameters of what you're after and then you're just along for the ride - feed your falcon first or you're just going to see a lot of rabbits.

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

I remembered in plants versus zombies garden warfare, the drones are used while the main plant is stationary and the drone will have a bird's eye view on the target while at the same time can attack. I think a similar method by we make it all crowfally would be a great idea. Imagine a falcon viewing the towns burning in distance and the forests and zombies roaming around.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

If this gets implemented I want the ability to throw my fellow guineceans up into the air and use them in a similar manner.

Also...I'm a pretty good catch.

[@--(o.O)@]

Why don't you just chalk it up to "My falcon yelled when it was over the areas my enemies were in, so now for five minutes I can look on my map and see the highlighted areas I know enemy players were near at that time."? Notice I said "Near". Pinpointing other players would be kinda OP, but getting a general area wouldn't be too bad. Not resource intensive, could be a 30 second channel or something like that. It would effectively be a server query for opposing faction members within x radius of location x,y,z and then output that to a simple highlight on the map gui.

Arcahn.png

Why don't you just chalk it up to "My falcon yelled when it was over the areas my enemies were in, so now for five minutes I can look on my map and see the highlighted areas I know enemy players were near at that time."? Notice I said "Near". Pinpointing other players would be kinda OP, but getting a general area wouldn't be too bad. Not resource intensive, could be a 30 second channel or something like that. It would effectively be a server query for opposing faction members within x radius of location x,y,z and then output that to a simple highlight on the map gui.

Not a bad idea.  It's already been mentioned that there will be fog of war.  Perhaps simply having this remove that fog of war effect of a target radius.  I mean sure warg/falcon flying sounds OMG GREATEST THING SINCE GRILLED CHEESE, but introducing player controlled flying into the game means a lot of development work.

[@--(o.O)@]

Not a bad idea.  It's already been mentioned that there will be fog of war.  Perhaps simply having this remove that fog of war effect of a target radius.  I mean sure warg/falcon flying sounds OMG GREATEST THING SINCE GRILLED CHEESE, but introducing player controlled flying into the game means a lot of development work.

Exactly. Sometimes making systems too elaborate really ruins what they were there to do in the first place, which in this case happens to be obtaining information. I can't think of an easier way off the top of my head to see generalized scouting information than a simple GUI overlaid on a map. Sure, it's not as flashy as some suggestions, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to implement on a small budget, if at all.

Arcahn.png

It sounds pretty awesome.

Could really help people that would love to play a scout type character.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Exactly. Sometimes making systems too elaborate really ruins what they were there to do in the first place, which in this case happens to be obtaining information. I can't think of an easier way off the top of my head to see generalized scouting information than a simple GUI overlaid on a map. Sure, it's not as flashy as some suggestions, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to implement on a small budget, if at all.

My dream of aerial combat falcon vs falcon shall never die, even if it is impractical and overly complex!  GUI overlay would definitely be the better option though :3

Also, a part of me has gone to sit in the corner and cry at the Kickstarter amount being called a 'small budget'.  I know it is in game development terms, but still.  :D

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

A nice suggestions, specially if we have campaigns that do not allow maps, when you first spawn in with your friends you scout ahead and find the mine/river/town.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

Great idea; could work as an ability called "Eyes of the Falcon" ~ you see through your falcon's eyes and control it but your body is left vulnerable.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."