Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirel

A Question About The Graphical Nature Of The Game

i am liking the pre alpha in game footage the way it is. i'll love it even more if even my "dated" iMac can run it smoother than running Rift @ ultra low everything settings lol. i personally prefer the "challenging aspects" but also the "fun and new experiences etc" you get in a new game setting. graphics are nice. but never has graphics been so good it made even the worst designed game a win-win.

if they maintain this stylized art they can easily do a lot more with it. with far less chances of it melting someones graphics cards due to needing so much process power etc etc.

functionality, ease of creation of large scale content with the least amount of possible issues seems more of a win win to me. ( yes every MMO has their own issues,bugs,hackers etc)

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

You have to realise that choosing to play a game with realistic graphics over a game with cartoonish graphics does not make you more mature or less r33tarded, you are still playing a computer game.

preference of "realistic" graphics is in your mind and is a matter of habit.

Edited by rajah

Context indeed. There are just a few zones that look dark like that in that game. Pretty sure CF is going for the dark and gritty look as a main theme throughout the whole game.

The comparison i use between the styles is a Pixar Movie (WoW) and a Tim Burton animated movie(Crowfall). Both considered cartoony sure but very distinct styles.

Edited by pang

While this will probably not be CrowFall's art style(nor should it be). The use of cartoony/caricature-like art set in a gritty world could set an interesting dissonance.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

I don't think most people realize this but it is almost mandatory to make MMOs cartoony at this point. Unlike games like Far Cry and Call of Duty that only have 1 major launch and then don't need to touch anything graphics wise, the point of an MMO is to continuously update and change. By allowing cartoony and relatively low poly models, you can make more characters, items, and areas much more quickly, easily and for must less cost. Take ESO for example, a good MMO, but because they sunk half their money into graphics, each update has been very minor, each new area reuses enemies and it is probably costing them far too much (probably why they went buy to play, since no one was buying). Realistic graphics just aren't going to be a thing we can expect in MMOs until procedural generation can actually MAKE new content. Another main aspect is computer requirements. On a console, graphics can be high because the companies know the systems can run them, on PC, there are people still running XP. This needs to be considered to some extent. You can allow different levels of graphics but you need some easy level to base it off of when you are adding groundbreaking things like games like Crowfall, Everquest Next and such.

TL;DR Basically, mmos need to be cartoony because it's cheaper, easier to run and allows the creators to make regular content much quicker.

The game isn't going to be narrative driven anyway, there may be some story, but not the kind that leads you through objectives.

I would like slightly darker tones as well actually, or better yet, a transition from bright to dark as summer concedes to winter.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Stylized TF2, Overwatch, Borderlands (Scifi as well)

That is a fear, I admit, I detested Borderlands, purely because of the graphics.     They simply took out the suspension of disbelief I needed, to enjoy the game.

That is a fear, I admit, I detested Borderlands, purely because of the graphics.     They simply took out the suspension of disbelief I needed, to enjoy the game.

Oh. I lived for those graphics

Guess you are out of luck then since they are going for the "The hand paintish look style textures." Then again, I enjoyed MUDs for several years as well and didn't/don't need visuals to stimulate my imagination. I get it, but I've had just as much if not more immersion and emotional connection to Disney/Pixar/Anime as any real life movie. For me it is about the presentation and my approach to it.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5313-you-guys-rock-crowfall-community/page-2#entry127246