Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenebrosity

Multi-Boxing: Haters Gonna Hate - Why Is This Debatable? Should It Be Allowed?

Except you will be multiplying your resource requirements / drain for each additional character in that campaign, just to save a little run time.  Characters that will be active only a fraction of the time.  So 3 characters equals triple resource cost for 1/3 individual uptime.

Not all characters will require resources, also in some campaigns people will drop loot/eq. They're more for utility rather than PvP alot of the times.. you got your PvP toon and maybe a toon that just sits in town managing your city crafting timers or sitting somewhere spamming trade chat. There's so many things u can do with multiple characters.. also, You may not need a caster where you need a warrior, etc. ^_^

some people lack imagination sometimes :rolleyes:

I multibox, and I expect to do so with Crowfall.  However, given the way Crowfall works, I'm damned well not going to be putting two toons into the one campaign.  Multiboxing in PvP is a fast way to have everyone die horribly, and a really fast way to give my enemies a lot more equipment.

I honestly have no idea what I'll be doing with the second account, beyond giving more cash to the developers.  I've run up to 14 accounts simultaneously in Eve, and four in WoW, and I really cannot see any point in Crowfall so far that multiboxing two toons in the same campaign is going to give me even the slightest advantage.  Even with well setup keybindings it just doesn't work well, and when you take into account needing to actively dodge stuff AND no tab-targetting?  If you're worried about going 1v3 against a multiboxer in those conditions...

I can see putting one toon into a campaign with high returns for losing sides, just to get resources, and playing my main on something more risky (and fun).  That's an advantage right there.  So maybe make high loss return campaigns longer ones, to reduce the impact?

and this ^

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Not all characters will require resources, also in some campaigns people will drop loot/eq. They're more for utility rather than PvP alot of the times.. you got your PvP toon and maybe a toon that just sits in town managing your city crafting timers or sitting somewhere spamming trade chat. There's so many things u can do with multiple characters.. also, You may not need a caster where you need a warrior, etc. ^_^

and this ^

Now you are adding limitations to your own justifications.  So now you are just advocating for both a crafter and adventuring character?

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

So, is this thread now about multi-accounts... or multi-boxing?  It seems to have evolved into multi-accounts.... still... who cares?  You can only really focus on 1 account character anyway.  Not much different than someone with 2 characters in different campaigns on the same account, except for time... but focus is still the dominating factor in a PvP MMO.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Oh, and to those of you advocating banning multiboxing...  How in the nine hells are you going to be able to stop me?  My intro thread has an image of my setup, there's two computers there that will run anything I throw at them, so Crowfall isn't expected to be a problem there.

You can't detect me based on systems, as I'll be running one account per system, and won't swap the two over at any point.  You can't ban me by IP, one of those gaming rigs runs permanently on a different ISP to the other systems specifically so I'll pretty much always have internet connectivity.  I've got TWO MORE backup connections, also with different ISPs I can use if needed.

I'm..  a little obsessive about always being connected.  But I won't be the only one to be able to have a similar setup.  Trying to block me multiboxing is going to affect a noticable percentage of your userbase long before it starts affecting me.  Well, assuming there's a decent New Zealand representation in the Crowfall community.  You've got me dead to rights if you simply block ALL NZ IP addresses...  :D

You're far better off working on just making the game so interesting that you will always have something to do with your character.  If I'm always doing something active on one toon, something that's not just repetitive make-work, then I'm not going to be touching that second account much.  Then you can sit there and laugh at me for paying to have a second account that just sits in my Eternal Kingdom all the time.

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

>Multiboxers defending this thread

mwfvc6.jpg

It only works in traditional tab-target MMOs to gain an edge...

That sounds like some obsessive need for efficiency which is rather ironic in a skill-based action game. I will prepare nothing but to have fun.

He's not wrong, though. You can most definitely multi-box or multi-account in skill based action games because you're not using the other accounts for combat. You're using them for everything else. Hell even in TERA, which is a big inspiration for the combat in this game, people do it and have been for a long time.  I certainly don't like the idea and hope that it's impossible or illegal in Crowfall. But it's definitely doable and advantageous.

So, is this thread now about multi-accounts... or multi-boxing?  It seems to have evolved into multi-accounts.... still... who cares?  You can only really focus on 1 account character anyway.  Not much different than someone with 2 characters in different campaigns on the same account, except for time... but focus is still the dominating factor in a PvP MMO.

you can't  "multi-box" without having multiple accounts.

Now you are adding limitations to your own justifications.  So now you are just advocating for both a crafter and adventuring character?

Not sure what you're talking about but people can play their characters anyway they want

Oh, and to those of you advocating banning multiboxing...  How in the nine hells are you going to be able to stop me?  My intro thread has an image of my setup, there's two computers there that will run anything I throw at them, so Crowfall isn't expected to be a problem there.

You can't detect me based on systems, as I'll be running one account per system, and won't swap the two over at any point.  You can't ban me by IP, one of those gaming rigs runs permanently on a different ISP to the other systems specifically so I'll pretty much always have internet connectivity.  I've got TWO MORE backup connections, also with different ISPs I can use if needed.

I'm..  a little obsessive about always being connected.  But I won't be the only one to be able to have a similar setup.  Trying to block me multiboxing is going to affect a noticable percentage of your userbase long before it starts affecting me.  Well, assuming there's a decent New Zealand representation in the Crowfall community.  You've got me dead to rights if you simply block ALL NZ IP addresses...   :D

You're far better off working on just making the game so interesting that you will always have something to do with your character.  If I'm always doing something active on one toon, something that's not just repetitive make-work, then I'm not going to be touching that second account much.  Then you can sit there and laugh at me for paying to have a second account that just sits in my Eternal Kingdom all the time.

I actually have 4 different ISP's here at home I can run accounts off of, not counting my two verizon hotspots XD

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Not sure what you're talking about but people can play their characters anyway they want

Then you are back to spreading out resources as was originally noted.  Battlefield spoils will suffer battle damage.  They will not be a constant source of equipment.

Edited by Doomgrin

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

He's not wrong, though. You can most definitely multi-box or multi-account in skill based action games because you're not using the other accounts for combat. You're using them for everything else. Hell even in TERA, which is a big inspiration for the combat in this game, people do it and have been for a long time.  I certainly don't like the idea and hope that it's impossible or illegal in Crowfall. But it's definitely doable and advantageous.

Sure, not saying you can't do it. I am just hoping it's unviable. If it's doable but a waste of time, then the design has prevailed. The one thing I disliked about multiboxing is it's just so artificial and it really takes away from the purpose of the game for some crazy efficiency rat-race. You have become the bot, not the player or the role you're trying to assume. There is no personality in it and it's pretty much an anti-thesis to MMOs' social interactivity. TERA is still much in the vein of some traditional design implementation which is why it fell short to being Free to Play eventually and you can multibox in it because it's not PvP oriented play even thought it would have some.

I don't mind multiple characters because you can choose to mess around with things, alts are fine.

No other game genre really does multiboxing quite like traditional MMOs, to my knowledge. It's that kind of thing that makes the general audience think of MMOs as a virtual economy simulator rather than a role playing game.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

just having 3 accounts... even if 2 of them just  join a campaign ... i can feed them anything from my main when the campaign is over i now have 3x as much as the guy with 1 account... 

Only if you get full import ruleset.  And even then, you die, you will lose some.

Only if you get full import ruleset.  And even then, you die, you will lose some.

No... if we are on the same side when its finished ill have 3 x more then the  you... how will my bots die? Ill give them loot then log them back off... bank alts .. and export items... 

Edited by Archiebunker82

No... if we are on the same side when its finished ill have 3 x more then the  you... how will my bots die? Ill give them loot then log them back off... bank alts .. and export items... 

You will not have triple.  There is not some great pool you get a share per character.  Each character individually has to put a portion of their resources into their own embargo.  The team (or whatever per the ruleset) determines how much % each character gets of their own embargo based on win/kneel/loss.

If you try and play 3 characters, you will have 1/3 as much loot per character as someone that plays a single one, netting the same total.  (3 x 1/3 = 1)

Edited by Doomgrin

let me walk you down  here so u can understand this.......

Toon 1 we will call him Archie..... has a full back of loot... so he logs on

Toon 2, we will call her bot1.... Archie trades with bot1, now bot1 has a full bag

Archie goes out for the next moth fills his bag again... so he trades with toon3 lets call him bot2

Archie now gives bot 2 a full bag of loot.. at the end of the campaign

You will not have triple.  There is not some great pool you get a share per character.  Each character individually has to put a portion of their resources into their own embargo.  The team (or whatever per the ruleset) determines how much % each character gets of their own embargo based on win/kneel/loss.

If you try and play 3 characters, you will have 1/3 as much loot per character as someone that plays a single one, netting the same total.  (3 x 1/3 = 1)

Archie has a full bag, bot1, and bot2 both have a full bag... can you explain to me how you with 1 account will get more loot then me with 3?

Toon 2, we will call her bot1.... Archie trades with bot1, now bot1 has a full bag

Archie goes out for the next moth fills his bag again... so he trades with toon3 lets call him bot2

Archie has a full bag, bot1, and bot2 both have a full bag... can you explain to me how you with 1 account will get more loot then me with 3?

You do not export what is in your bags, you export what is in your embargo.  You will not be limited by your personal bag space.

Bag Space =\= Embargo

Inventory =\= export conditions

You have to take into account, though, that in order to be able to export things they need to be put into Embargo through a point of interest which will more than likely be a dangerous feat for your main nevermind the underdeveloped bank alts.

You have to take into account, though, that in order to be able to export things they need to be put into Embargo through a point of interest which will more than likely be a dangerous feat for your main nevermind the underdeveloped bank alts.

Its not unreasonable to think they will be hard to get to the first time.. but once you side has a strong hold and other things in place... 

Even a damage sponge serves a useful purpose on the battlefield.

Multiboxing can allow players to put more forces in the field, set up traps, guard more locations, and return to battle much faster than simply having two toons on the same account. If you say it isn't an advantage you haven't thought things through.

Edited by zymurgeist

CF_Osgyth.png

Even a damage sponge serves a useful purpose on the battlefield.

Multiboxing can allow players to put more forces in the field, set up traps, guard more locations, and return to battle much faster than simply having two toons on the same account. If you say it isn't an advantage you haven't thought things through.

4 Independent players > 1 player multiboxing 4 characters.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

4 Independent players > 1 player multiboxing 4 characters.

4 players multiboxing 4 characters each > 4 independent players. So what was your point?

i press 3 buttons and fire 3 trebs at an attacking force... 3 people press 1 button to fire 3 trebs... i don't see to much of a difference in this scenario

Three players tearing down your trebs. Three players with three characters each tearing down your trebs. Can you see the difference in that scenario?

Edited by zymurgeist

CF_Osgyth.png