Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenebrosity

Multi-Boxing: Haters Gonna Hate - Why Is This Debatable? Should It Be Allowed?

Can someone explain to me how multi-boxing helps in a game w/ soft skill shots/action combat? I don't understand how multi-boxing and having a multiplexed keyboard means you have skill. Forgive my ignorance.

It doesnt, which is why this whole discussion is lame.

Even in tab-targetting mmos, multiboxing wasnt a big of a deal..

In CF with its action based combat, its going to be next to impossible for a multiboxer to fight properly.

And remember, if a multiboxer loses, he needs to gear up 4-5 characters again before he can move out. which takes time.

I use VirtualBox all the time for my job. It would not be an effective way to multibox at all. Sure, it would circumvent any physical address blocking, but you are splitting your computer resources in half, and there is a maximum of 128mb of shared video memory. It may work on older titles, but Virtual Machines would melt under the stress of a Unity 5 game. Even if you workaround the 128mb shared memory, emulation is consistently a pisspoor way to play games. If it were effective Linux users wouldn't be dual-booting and Valve would be implementing it into SteamOS. 

As to IP address blocking, that seems to prove you really don't know much of what you're talking about. Households only have one external facing IP address, so blocking at the IP level would prevent multiple players within a household, which would never, ever happen. 

Same computer multiboxing can be blocked by only allowing one PID for crowfall.exe to exist on the computer at any time. There is no need to block a physical address. If people want to multibox they will simply use a laptop beside their computer, or a second desktop beside their main setup. You are getting way too complicated with your methods.

All they have to do is say it is against ToS.  And then have GMs go investigate heavily reported/obvious cases of it and ban those people.  If a company shows zero tolerance it is a great deterrent. 

Blizzard did this with account sharing and now most people who used to account share won't even bother to now. 

Can someone explain to me how multi-boxing helps in a game w/ soft skill shots/action combat? I don't understand how multi-boxing and having a multiplexed keyboard means you have skill. Forgive my ignorance.

I don't have a problem with the ridiculous things other people do for fun as long as it doesn't mess up the balance of the game, but as the past has shown "One does not simply multibox".  There's always other "stuff" they do to gain an edge.

Most of the time the second box is a support character which requires infrequent or easily macroable skills. In Shadowbane, bard were often multiboxes with a macro cycling their chants, or a priest would be multiboxed with a macro to cast their group heal over time spells every time the timer refreshed. Nearly all the 'good' use case scenarios for multiboxing can be mitigated in the skill/talent design phase.

ncLez59.png

All they have to do is say it is against ToS.  And then have GMs go investigate heavily reported/obvious cases of it and ban those people.  If a company shows zero tolerance it is a great deterrent. 

Blizzard did this with account sharing and now most people who used to account share won't even bother to now. 

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to manage two characters at once, you should be able to. If the game is designed correctly, they are playing two characters to less than full capacity, rather than one to full. 

ncLez59.png

Multi-boxing is a usually a legal loop-hole, but completely against the spirit of MMOs.  In PvP you are not controlling 5 or 6 characters, you are controlling one character and using software/hardware to do the damage of 5 or 6.

I see this as pay-2-win.  Why?  because you have an advantage only gained through paying for more accounts.  You do not run them independently.

Now if you own multiple accounts, and there is no physical (or software) tie between those accounts other than what the game provides.  i.e. I have no issue if you are crafting on the left computer and fighting on the right computer.  I just hope the game is more engaging for crafters than click [craft 1000] and come back in 15 min.

Edited by Doomgrin

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to manage two characters at once, you should be able to. If the game is designed correctly, they are playing two characters to less than full capacity, rather than one to full. 

The problem to me isn't playing at the same time, even though some talented players could do such a thing and still be better than most.  The problem is playing them in rapid succession in things like sieges or any other scenario where quick reinforcements would be helpful.

If a player is able to fight, and heal themselves on 2 different machines/keyboards (in an action combat game) more power to them.  If they use macros, they should get a ban hammer on the offending account.

I see this as pay-2-win.  Why?  because you have an advantage only gained through paying for more accounts.  You do not run them independently.

This is not suprising at all....

Some people on the forum thinks something is p2w, I might have heard that somewhere before :P

Edited by zinnie

This is not suprising at all....

Some people on the forum thinks something is p2w, I might have heard that somewhere before :P

Do you individually have an advantage gained ONLY by the expenditure of money directly on the game itself?  Yes.  P2W.  Not just throwing that term out there.

Edited by Doomgrin

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

Do you individually have an advantage gained ONLY by the expenditure of money directly on the game itself?  Yes.  P2W.  Not just throwing that term out there.

But so do I if I have a better computer/internet with a faster cpu/gpu and get better fps/less latency than my oponents, should I be banned for that aswell? Its obviously p2w in your mind.

By that definition, VIP accounts are pay-to-win. They give me an advantage of extra passive skill training that I must pay for.

ncLez59.png

But so do I if I have a better computer/internet with a faster cpu/gpu and get better fps/less latency than my oponents, should I be banned for that aswell? Its obviously p2w in your mind.

Obvious strawman answer.  I said "directly on the game itself."  Anything outside the dev's control cannot be included in a logical argument specific to the game and how is applies to the fairness of game TOS and development.

Kills immersion.

We are one character in an alternate fantasy world, not 2+. 

Thankfully at least you are restricted to one character per campaign. 

Hopefully all botting/macroing/multiboxing will be completely disallowed and heavily punished. 

This is a game, a place to jump in and escape the world. It is not designed as a business venture. If you wish to stream it, go ahead, but play normally or go away. 

Edited by unknownxv

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

By that definition, VIP accounts are pay-to-win. They give me an advantage of extra passive skill training that I must pay for.

First, they will be made up with by time.  Two, kick-starters have to be accounted for separately as they helped make the game even possible.  Lastly, you may not even have to pay for the passive skill once the PLEX (or whatever it will be called) system is in place.  You will trade in-game currency for VIP status without costing a single dime.

Obvious strawman answer.  I said "directly on the game itself."  Anything outside the dev's control cannot be included in a logical argument specific to the game and how is applies to the fairness of game TOS and development.

Me using two computers with two different mac adresses and two different gameclients only hooked up to eachother by external equipment is also outside devs control, unless they actually see a person multiboxing with their own eyes ofc. Its gonna take alot of reporting and GM control to enforce a multibox ban across multiple campaign worlds.

Me using two computers with two different mac adresses and two different gameclients only hooked up to eachother by external equipment is also outside devs control, unless they actually see a person multiboxing with their own eyes ofc. Its gonna take alot of reporting and GM control to enforce a multibox ban across multiple campaign worlds.

It may be an effort, but it is done... often by other players witnessing and recording the obvious macro-level interaction.

And the two different Mac addresses will also trace to the same location on the ISP.  Better forge someone else's name when getting the account.

Edited by Doomgrin

It may be an effort, but it is done... often by other players witnessing and recording the obvious macro-level interaction.

And the two different Mac addresses will also trace to the same location on the ISP.  Better forge someone else's name when getting the account.

I agree. But first they need to actually make multiboxing illegal.

I dont think it should be myself, since its basicly more characters for me to loot. But like you said, it is doable with reporting options and active GM's online to witness the person doing it.

Threads like this are great because it allows me to add more people to my ignore list. Nothing worse than a bunch of babies crying about a non-issue. If you can't handle a multi-boxer in PvP it means you really do suck that bad.

"But above all do not bind the anus all that there is congenial to your vision of paradise staff" - leonelion

Current ignore list because these people have no sense of reality or common sense: sheen, unknownxv, doomgrin, willwill, crowmagnonman, santa