Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenebrosity

Multi-Boxing: Haters Gonna Hate - Why Is This Debatable? Should It Be Allowed?

Yep.

IIRC, they said you're only allowed one Character per Campaign(been trying to find the quote but no luck). So this whole convo is likely null and void.

Yeah, gotta find that post.. Pretty sure he means one character per account, which still wont affect multi-boxers with multiple accounts . Would be nice to Todd to clarify this before the end of the Kickstarter campaign. Either-way guess playing multiple campaigns when nothing is going on will be fun if they try to pull that. However, I've yet to see multi-boxing specifically mentioned by a dev. but how will this really be policed.. I'll just have to "host" "LAN parties" everytime I wana play Crowfall ;D

No real way to police it.

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Yep.

IIRC, they said you're only allowed one Character per Campaign(been trying to find the quote but no luck). So this whole convo is likely null and void.

Yes they said 1 character per campaign, but that's one character per account. If I have 5 accounts I can bring 5 characters to a campaign.

"But above all do not bind the anus all that there is congenial to your vision of paradise staff" - leonelion

Current ignore list because these people have no sense of reality or common sense: sheen, unknownxv, doomgrin, willwill, crowmagnonman, santa

Yes they said 1 character per campaign, but that's one character per account. If I have 5 accounts I can bring 5 characters to a campaign.

Yeah thats true. Though depends how well they police and enforce the rule. Can play that way for a while but if they find you're playing multiple characters through one PC they could just outright ban the player.

You are right, I do not understand you.

In fact, the P2W model always allows users to not pay, if they are willing to wait longer.

I thought maybe I'd explained something poorly, but nope, you just don't or won't get it, so I'll stop trying.

ncLez59.png

Yeah thats true. Though depends how well they police and enforce the rule. Can play that way for a while but if they find you're playing multiple characters through one PC they could just outright ban the player.

There is always a technical way to get around that stuff when it comes to gaming. Gaming companies are not going to spend the resources to track people at that low of a level.

"But above all do not bind the anus all that there is congenial to your vision of paradise staff" - leonelion

Current ignore list because these people have no sense of reality or common sense: sheen, unknownxv, doomgrin, willwill, crowmagnonman, santa

There is always a technical way to get around that stuff when it comes to gaming. Gaming companies are not going to spend the resources to track people at that low of a level.

You're "low" if you multi-box? I don't get this logic.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Preventing multi boxing would be a massive hit to the Crowfall erotic roleplaying community. If I can't run multiple accounts at once, how are pople supposed to have a scene where they control multiple characters?

Some people make a fortune offering that particular service, and banning it would be one step removed from banning virtual prostitution entirely. Your entire ingame economy could crash.

They should allow it, IMO.

I don't care if you multi-box

as soon as you keyclone I hope they ban your bottom

This. 

Say what you will, but I think anyone who claims to be able to "multi-box" in a game that is almost a purely pvp, fast-paced, quick reaction required, twitch game like what Crowfall is going to be is some degree of a "cheater". 

You may have one of the quickest minds and set of hands/fingers in the gaming world, but the fact of the matter is in a large-scale PVP battle, there is no way you can effectively play more than one character at a time, if those characters are occupying the same general geographic area.  People whom you are trying to attack are going to constantly move around out of melee/spell range and/or line of sight and not just sit there for you to beat on.  Alternatively, if you are being attacked on multiple characters, you will have to move around/avoid attacks and/or executive defensive abilities.  So unless you have multiple heads and sets of arms that operate independently of one another you can't multi-box in a legit/by the rules manner.

Now for instance, if you are going to be using the extra accounts to simply be pack mules or as a spy to infiltrate another guild, team, realm, etc. as the OP claimed he would use them for, then I'll agree that multi-boxing may be possible and/or feasible and gladly encourage anyone to do so to contribute more money to help ACE fund this game. 

But as some others have already pointed out, just from the almost combative/belligerent tone of the OP's post I feel like they are the "OMG I'm a virtual world/online alpha male and have to assert my dominance and will cheat to do so and no one can stop me type, who gets some false sense of self-importance/accomplishment/skill even though they had to cheat to do so .  If that is the case, I hope you throw lots of money at the kickstarter to help fund what I am hoping will be an awesome game, thinking you can get away with cheating. Then if the game gods are just, be rudely surprised when you and all of your bot accounts get the ban stick when they do discover you're actually keycloning and/or botting when you claim to be doing it all yourself/manually.

Edited by Raelsmar

You're "low" if you multi-box? I don't get this logic.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, not low as in a low down piece of doo-doo. I meant low level as in a gaming company backtracking data and network traffic to the lowest level and analyzing everything to ensure someone isn't using some sort of technology to run multiple accounts from their house/pc.

This. 

Say what you will, but I think anyone who claims to be able to "multi-box" in a game that is almost a purely pvp, fast-paced, quick reaction required, twitch game like what Crowfall is going to be is some degree of a "cheater". 

You may have one of the quickest minds and set of hands/fingers in the gaming world, but the fact of the matter is in a large-scale PVP battle, there is no way you can effectively play more than one character at a time, if those characters are occupying the same general geographic area.  People whom you are trying to attack are going to constantly move around out of melee/spell range and/or line of sight and not just sit there for you to beat on.  Alternatively, if you are being attacked on multiple characters, you will have to move around/avoid attacks and/or executive defensive abilities.  So unless you have multiple heads and sets of arms that operate independently of one another you can't multi-box in a legit/by the rules manner.

Now for instance, if you are going to be using the extra accounts to simply be pack mules or as a spy to infiltrate another guild, team, realm, etc. as the OP claimed he would use them for, then I'll agree that multi-boxing may be possible and/or feasible and gladly encourage anyone to do so to contribute more money to help ACE fund this game. 

But as some others have already pointed out, just from the almost combative/belligerent tone of the OP's post I feel like they are the "OMG I'm a virtual world/online alpha male and have to assert my dominance and will cheat to do so and no one can stop me type, who gets some false sense of self-importance/accomplishment/skill even though they had to cheat to do so .  If that is the case, I hope you throw lots of money at the kickstarter to help fund what I am hoping will be an awesome game, thinking you can get away with cheating. Then if the game gods are just, be rudely surprised when you and all of your bot accounts get the ban stick when they do discover you're actually keycloning and/or botting when you claim to be doing it all yourself/manually.

The tone of the OP was meant to incite conversation ^_^

Agreed on the keyclone cheating part.

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

The tone of the OP was meant to incite conversation ^_^

Agreed on the keyclone cheating part.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your tone.

I'm glad that you agree that keycloning/botting is cheating and shouldn't be tolerated. 

Now my two cents on Multi-boxing:

I personally think multi-boxing in any MMORPG, not just Crowfall, is unnecessary, unrealistic, and kills the spirit/immersion of the game.  I realize and respect the fact that people should be able to spend their money as they wish, which includes buying/using multiple accounts, but I seriously doubt you can give me a good reason that would convince me multi-boxing is a good and/or necessary thing.

First of all, let us focus on the RPG part of the MMORPG genre (which I consider Crowfall to be).  Generally when you are RP'ing (Roleplaying), If you are doing it right, are assuming the identity of your character/avatar.  So unless you suffer from Schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder why would you be playing or need to play more than one character at a time?  One brain/mind/consciousness = one character, simple as that.  If you can’t enjoy the game playing one character, then you have a problem and maybe should try playing something else.   I have never come across a game where I told myself "Geez this game would be so much more fun if I had to actively focus on multiple characters simultaneously, instead of just being able to devote my time/attention to one" or "the only way I'll ever be able to enjoy this game is to have to play more than one character/account at a time". 

I already know the answer to this question, but being a gamer I'm assuming you've owned a Nintendo, Sega, Xbox, and/or Playstation system at some point in your life and played games on them.  Have you (or anyone you know) ever in your life played a multiplayer game on one of those systems by yourself and picked up a second, third, or fourth controller and tried to actually play/beat the game using more than one controller/character at a time because you thought it would be more fun?  Of course not, why would you?  It would be tedious and annoying and counterproductive.  Which brings me to my next point and the real reason I think people try to multi-box and justify doing it......

Now focusing on the MMO part of MMORPG.  I've had friends and known people who have multi-boxed in MMORPG's before.  I obviously not being a fan of the practice, ask them why they do it.  Generally they give me one of a couple of predictable answers.  The first being I want to be able to do group content on my own, without having to group with other people.  So if you are of this mindset, please explain to me why you would play an MMORPG, which again is focused on playing with other players (MMORPG), only to try to purposely avoid interacting with them at all? 

The other answer, and which I think is the main reason why nearly all multi-boxers really do it, is they tell me it gives them an advantage/makes them more powerful.  I think most people who multi-box have some deep-seeded "little man" issues.  They somehow think the rest of us who try to actually play and enjoy an MMORPG game the way it was meant to be played (one character per person at any given time, while trying to immerse yourself into the game/character) will gasp in awe at how awesome they are because they treat the game like a race and use the advantage of having multiple accounts/characters to be able to acquire levels, loot, etc. more quickly/easily than others or try to use two(or more)-on-one tactics to beat someone in PVP.   They couldn't fathom the idea and/or take the risk of being beaten one-on-one or “lose the race” and have to suffer the subsequent hit to their massive ego if someone was able to beat them because they have some superiority/god complex that can only be fulfilled by asserting their dominance in a virtual world.

Again referring back to my previous question/analogy/statement.  I bet none of these MMORPG multi-boxers who think they are so incredibly awesome, ever attempt to play more than one controller/character on a multiplayer console game at home at the same time.  Why?  Because they don’t have an active audience and can’t flex their E-Peen to others to show how awesome they are or use unfair numbers/pay-to-win tactics to assert their dominance over someone else to justify their sad existence.

Now all that being said and my mini rant being over,  I have no problem with someone paying for multiple accounts if it makes sense to do so, which is different than multi-boxing (playing multiple accounts at the same time). 

Say for instance if there is a realm vs realm based game like DAoC, WoW, etc. that will only allow you to make characters (races, classes, etc.) from a single realm on your account, but not from the opposing realm factions.  Then it would make sense to have multiple accounts if you wanted to be able to play races, classes, etc. that are only playable in the other realms/factions on the same server.

Also if as with Crowfall, you have a limited number of character slots and the number of possible classes/races/archetypes exceeds the number of character slots, then again I could see the justification in paying for/owning multiple accounts.

So to sum it up for the TLDR people:  I think Multi-boxing is unnecessary and is counterproductive to the spirit/immersion of MMORPG’s in general.  I think most of the people who multi-box are lame because they have some complex that they have to be “the best” and get all the shinies before everyone else, so the rest of us will grovel at their awesome feet and who have no real intention of playing the game it was meant to be played (one character that you immerse yourself in at a time, be part of the community, etc).  On the other hand I have no problem with owning/paying for multiple accounts with legitimate reasons (see the few pararaphs just this one). 

And as I mentioned before I don’t think someone can legitimately multi-box two or more characters at the same time in the same group and/or geographic in a game like Crowfall due to the pvp, fast-paced, quick reaction required, twitch game that it is (or will be) without blatantly cheating by using keycloning and/or bot programs.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your tone.

I'm glad that you agree that keycloning/botting is cheating and shouldn't be tolerated. 

So to sum it up for the TLDR people:  I think Multi-boxing is unnecessary and is counterproductive to the spirit/immersion of MMORPG’s in general.  I think most of the people who multi-box are lame because they have some complex that they have to be “the best” and get all the shinies before everyone else, so the rest of us will grovel at their awesome feet and who have no real intention of playing the game it was meant to be played (one character that you immerse yourself in at a time, be part of the community, etc).  On the other hand I have no problem with owning/paying for multiple accounts with legitimate reasons (see the few pararaphs just this one). 

And as I mentioned before I don’t think someone can legitimately multi-box two or more characters at the same time in the same group and/or geographic in a game like Crowfall due to the pvp, fast-paced, quick reaction required, twitch game that it is (or will be) without blatantly cheating by using keycloning and/or bot programs.

Immersion is for people with horrible lives.

Edited by Adall

Immersion is for people with horrible lives.

I doubt you read the entirety of my previous post, since it was about 10 paragraphs long and you responded about a minute after I posted it, and just quoted the TLDR part, but to respond to you statement, even if it's somewhat off topic and not really the point I was trying to make:

Perhaps that is true for some people/cases, but the purpose of an MMORPG and goal/hope of most developers is for players to be able immerse themselves into it and have fun.  I know MMORPG's are a pleasant escape from reality for some people, they surely were for me in high school and part of college and helped me get through those years with my sanity intact. 

That being said I have a pretty awesome life outside of the virtual world IMO these days, but I still thoroughly enjoy playing (quality) MMORPGs.   If I wanted to just play a game for fun I could pick up any number of games lying around my house and grab a controller and have fun.  Its the character development over time and immersion aspect of MMORPGs that I enjoy. 

I have never understood why people play MMORPGs if they aren't going to at least make some feeble attempt to immerse themselves into the game and become their character and a part of the community.  As is the case with nearly all multi-boxers IMO, who just use an MMORPG as a platform to try and be the "most awesome" player, king of the mountain, alpha male, so they can show off to everyone else and/or be listed on some leaderboard or forum post somewhere to confirm what their already delusional minds tell them, which is they are god's gift to humanity and should be worshipped by all of us lesser beings.  

Whole thread is moot. In crowfall, you have to aim and move.

In typical mmorpgs you don't have to do either. Theres automatic targeting. And the skills go directly to targets. Neither of these are true in Crowfall.

Please tell me how you will aim using 2 different characters at the same time? You only have 2 hands.

Please tell me how you will click your skills as your aiming?

Please tell me how you will do all this and be able to move your character to dodge damage at the same time?

Simple answer: You won't.

Whole thread is moot. In crowfall, you have to aim and move.

In typical mmorpgs you don't have to do either. Theres automatic targeting. And the skills go directly to targets. Neither of these are true in Crowfall.

Please tell me how you will aim using 2 different characters at the same time? You only have 2 hands.

Please tell me how you will click your skills as your aiming?

Please tell me how you will do all this and be able to move your character to dodge damage at the same time?

Simple answer: You won't.

Sir, I believe you underestimate my multi-boxing abilities.

evemulti1x.jpg

w4eAe.jpg

5069f24a74c5b64b160007e5._w.540_h.359_s.

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

For some the challenge is to win the game. For others the challenge is to play the game. For some the challenge is to beat the game. For others the challenge is to break the game.

For the devs, the challenge is to make sure that what one person might feel is fun and challenging doesn't wreck the game.

OP? Seems like a nice enough guy to me.

So long as you're buying separate copies of the game to run on separate physical computers, then there shouldn't be a problem.  I tried my hand at multi-boxing many years ago.  While it was fun for a little while, trying to keep track of all the characters, keyboards, and mice when I needed to react quickly was beyond my capabilities.  I found that it was always easier (and way more fun!) to just find a few people and group up.