Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multi-Boxing: Haters Gonna Hate - Why Is This Debatable? Should It Be Allowed?

I find it strange you posted your Paypal statement...  Its not that we dont believe you, it's that we just dont care....

whocares.gif

I'm sorry did it seem like I posted that for you to care? I'm pretty sure it was in response to a post that had nothing with you caring or me showing off. lol

Those accounts will probably sell for a more than you paid for them in a year or two but yeah I have the feeling you will be sorely disappointed if you try to actively multi-box combat characters in a manual aim game.

Yeah, I actually bought a few more that didn't go through PayPal (too many charges at once) for giveaways.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you get paid to play video games? Really all I got out of this thread. Hard to read when you keep trying to drag your sack across my face.

Box away sir and good luck to you!  I struggle to effectively play a single toon at once.

It's not a tab target game. Active block/aim combined with friendly fire will probably make multi-boxing extremely inefficient to say the least. No worries here. Box away!

Have you multi-boxed anything similar before? Would be interesting to see from an entertainment stand point. Noticed there aren't many "action" games with many running complicated setups.

Assuming there won't be /assist, /follow, tab-target, in-game macroing, plus collision and possible friendly fire, if you can pull it off, will get a thumbs up from me.

Although, your justifications might not be worth much.

"WoW does it" and also has huge numbers of players/profits, if they lose a few thousand players, who will notice. If you cause 1, 2, 20 people to leave CF, that could potentially be a lot of profit gone or simply bad word of mouth press that is worth more than what you are putting in.

Even if you were some how providing more profits (remember the cash shop possibilities), it does come down to ACE's views (which I don't believe they've said yet?).

There is a pretty simply way to stop multi-boxing, players /report and complain as this is a PVP focused game and it would clearly give you an advantage and ACE just bans each account. No need to spoof anything or run special software.

Also risk putting a target on your multiple backs and having a harder time with trade and what not. Again, unlike WoW and other games, even with your own personal army, probably aren't going to accomplish much.

If it is just to have multiple characters in the same campaign, cheesy, but it is what it is an I'm sure plenty of folks will be doing it, regardless if we are limited to 1 per account or not. After thinking about it, I actually do like VIP having the option to bring more than one character into a campaign, but with some sort of character swap cooldown or something. If they did anything of that sort, I could see multi-accounts/boxing be less accepted on their end.

Do you have a twitch/youtube channel? While I don't exactly agree with it, is fun to watch for a few minutes to see people pull it off.

Not into multiboxing myself, but I'm against those limitations that would hurt families and roommates from playing together without having to jump through silly hoops.

This is really important to keep in mind. My S/O will be playing together in the same room a lot. I'd hate to have that impeded by multibox prevention.

That said, as others has been saying, the combination of collision, friendly fire, and active aiming/dodging/blocking will probably make multiboxing far less viable than in games where you can stack, tab, and spam.

This is really important to keep in mind. My S/O will be playing together in the same room a lot. I'd hate to have that impeded by multibox prevention.

That said, as others has been saying, the combination of collision, friendly fire, and active aiming/dodging/blocking will probably make multiboxing far less viable than in games where you can stack, tab, and spam.

Most of the games that I have played which had an official policy on this topic allowed multi-boxing, but not multi-clienting.  In other words, one client per physical machine was ok, regardless of how many accounts were logged in from the same IP, but running multiple copies of the game on a single computer simultaneously was a bannable offense, as it generally requires either modifying the game client or using third party software to gain an advantage (i.e. keyclone).

So, less than 20 hours remaining....

Who's hating? I really doubt anyone will have the slightest problem with that. It's not like you can fight with 2 characters at once. And even if.. so what? How is it different from 2 people grouping?

You can train all your characters though with 1 char per acc. Which is.. still kinda whatever in my eyes xD

So basically you just have pack animals that can defend themselves better than the npc ones. I think that's more than fair enough advantage for supporting the game this much.  :)

If they have collision it will be harder. I remember seeing a guy in WOW who had 9 shammys all stacked on top of one another and near equally timed! 

It was especially fun killing the leader of the multibox and leaving the drones alive. Four enemies just sitting there while the leader gets back, or preferably spawn camped.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

You want to stop multiboxing, then give people reasons not to. Use carrots to entice people to put all their characters on one account, and minimize the systems that can effectively be multiboxed.

Why would a company do this?  less box sales? Discourage people from paying for more VIP memberships?  It is still a business.  I would say their stance on 1 char per account per campaign was so that people would buy more boxes and VIP memberships.  It had to at least be part of the discussion. 

They can control the game balance with 1 account this way.  BUT, they cannot control multiple accounts, so, they might as well make $$$$ of them.

Edited by nakawe

Yeah, a good action combat design will hopefully exclude multiboxing options. I think it will only be used for tedious tasks like harvesting, but maybe it will be fun too who knows.. In hostile environments like the Dregs - u always need to be prepared for the unexpected like an ambush.  :)

Edited by Mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

I'm with you there. I play, my wife plays, a couple of my teens play. It's not unusual to have 5-6 folks playing from my house at the same time, with a few others on vent. We are in essence multi-boxing.

The vast majority will not use multi box, if the majority feels injured by the minority who uses it, they just stop playing, an example is ArcheAge, the game is wonderfull, but, servers are dead, only those who had alts bots or multi box continued to play, the economy killed all the other players, who played casually or for fun.

jeahw.jpg

I don't care if you multi-box

as soon as you keyclone I hope they ban your bottom

Well, keycloning with player collision and friendly fire. Erh, if somebody pulls that off effectively I'd say let them do that, as they'll clearly deserve it.

Box away. In games where death actually has consequences multiboxing doesn't provide significant advantages in any way. It is ridiculously easy to multibox ratting, mining, and even limited PvP in EVE, and even there it doesn't matter. A fleet of 5 ships is always exactly as powerful as a fleet of five ships, and always drops exactly as much loot , and costs as much to replace as a fleet of five ships. Does it really matter how many people are controlling those characters? Nah. I used to run a lot of hacking anoms in wormholes and deep null space when I was solo, and I boxed my hacking cheetah and a cheap cloaked hauler to carry the loot. Did that make me any more efficient than having another player control the hauler that sat around and did nothing but uncloak and hoover up cans whenever the cheetah was full? Nope.

Even active boxing was a non-issue. Spidertank some battleships together to clear sleeper sites doesn't make you more efficient. it simply doubles your income whilst simultaneously doubling your cost, and making you less efficient at controlling individual ships when pvp shows up.

On top of that, boxing things like crafters and gatherers more often leads to dead crafters and gatherers than if every single one was a live player, and is usually done because those activities are time consuming or boring due to failings in design. If you're in a fight on your main and someone starts ganking your crafter, you're either going to swap to the crafter and attempt to escape, losing the fight, or finish the fight and lose your crafter. You'll usually make the judgement call based on which one is going to cost you more when it dies, and sometimes you'll custard up  and lose them both.

As long as you're not keycloning there's no real issue in terms of balance, and no real advantage. If you are keycloning, its a pretty obvious thing to spot and ban.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

The vast majority will not use multi box, if the majority feels injured by the minority who uses it, they just stop playing, an example is ArcheAge, the game is wonderfull, but, servers are dead, only those who had alts bots or multi box continued to play, the economy killed all the other players, who played casually or for fun.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone multibox in AA.  I agree about the economy...but I think the multi-stacked RNG in EVERYTHING played a big factor.  Most of my guild has already left AA and are now playing in Black Desert.  Once you control the market and castles... not really much more to do in AA.  With most everything else to gain locked away in RNG boxes in the cash shop... or burried in layers of crafting RNG... there's no point in sticking around in AA.

Personally, I don't think BD is going to be much different as it's just AA v2, which is why I'm betting more on Crowfall for the future PvP sandbox.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Once you control the market and castles... not really much more to do in AA.  

If you're killing out all the competition, that's going to be the result in any game, even here. The only difference here is every few months to a year you'll get to start over.

If you're killing out all the competition, that's going to be the result in any game, even here. The only difference here is every few months to a year you'll get to start over.

Precisely the reason Crowfall is so attractive to established PvP guilds.  We're tired of going from one MMO to another because the static world becomes stale and boring and the lack of an evolving meta game.  

With enough active members, we can take our strategic plans and organization to a new level by coordinating multiple campaign efforts and tying them back to multiple EKs.  There's a lot of planned depth features in Crowfall.

Bringing it back on topic, there's also enough design features that elevate player skill and teamwork that concepts like multi-boxing become irrelevant, or very risky at best.  I mean, it's really only introducing player controlled NPCs, which have a very minimal AI and low PvP value.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Do you have a twitch/youtube channel? While I don't exactly agree with it, is fun to watch for a few minutes to see people pull it off.

I plan on using a new channel I have, gamingexports ->twitch..  wonder if YouTube's game streaming service will be as good.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I mean good for you if you can afford that much but if you aren't planning on selling the accounts (which would be the smart idea) and are just doing it for item storage, you're kind of an idiot. Do you really think you can manage 8 accounts on a screen at a time, especially in a siege? I mean granted, you might be able to keep two characters alive reasonably well but most of them will die and lose everything. Not to mention, if you are telling people "I have a group of relatively useless characters I can't pay attention to since I need to manage them all at once" it will be easy target practice for looters. While you are focusing on fending off 3 guys with 2 accounts back and fourth, your other 5 are already dead because they just stood there motionlessly, looted and then those people come to finish you off. Again, good for you if you think you can handle this but I think everyone else is getting the last laugh when we see an idiot with 12 alts carrying heaps of gold that we can both rob, and laugh at how this guy spent over a grand on this because he saw some people do it on WoW (a game that is free up until level 20)

I mean good for you if you can afford that much but if you aren't planning on selling the accounts (which would be the smart idea) and are just doing it for item storage, you're kind of an idiot. Do you really think you can manage 8 accounts on a screen at a time, especially in a siege? I mean granted, you might be able to keep two characters alive reasonably well but most of them will die and lose everything. Not to mention, if you are telling people "I have a group of relatively useless characters I can't pay attention to since I need to manage them all at once" it will be easy target practice for looters. While you are focusing on fending off 3 guys with 2 accounts back and fourth, your other 5 are already dead because they just stood there motionlessly, looted and then those people come to finish you off. Again, good for you if you think you can handle this but I think everyone else is getting the last laugh when we see an idiot with 12 alts carrying heaps of gold that we can both rob, and laugh at how this guy spent over a grand on this because he saw some people do it on WoW (a game that is free up until level 20)

It's just another "look at me" thread.

I've multi boxed a lot, but since I have a great guild for CF, I have no need. 

288mqgz.png