Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snissel

Support Classes

I'm hoping CF support classes will have meaning unlike other games. Most other mmo's have what I call support lite classes. Where they have some small number of support abilities that other classes don't but still can solo very well. Desigining support classes to be solo friendly kind of waters down their support abilities.

I would support classes have synergy with other archetypes but kind of suck by themselves.  Personally I think support classes should do very little dps and be hard to solo but be extremely valuable for small or large group play. 

Having true support classes would be back some of the magic from older mmo's like EQ.

How solo viable should support classes be in CF?

Edited by snissel

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Well I guess by definition support should be there to support others rather than play solo so in that sense the v least solo viable class. However if that's the case I would hope that 1 support + 1 non-support should have an advantage over 2 non-support classes.

We've already been told that support builds will sacrifice DPS to gain buffs, debuffs, and physics effects e.g. knockbacks.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

We've already been told that support builds will sacrifice DPS to gain buffs, debuffs, and physics effects e.g. knockbacks.

Oh really! Awesome, that's what i was hoping for. Looks like I got a dilemma on which support class fits my playstyle.

Hopefully they show some synergy examples playing with other classes. Not too much tho so we can have lots to learn.

Edited by snissel

The only reason support classes in some other games were watered down was because those games relied more on the healer which this game doesn't have. So the support need to be more impactful here.

Edited by leiloni

I'm hoping support is stripped from class binding and redefined as an option and behavior for all classes. Of course certain classes could emphasize support, but the general explanation is that all Crowfall classes will be less galvanized.

By ensuring that every class has a variety of methods from offensive to defensive, players can distinguish their capability by utilizing the right method or tactic for a given situation rather than just sortie an obvious mix of interdependent specialized roles...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Support classes in this game should invoke unique elements of strategy to them. They should also be combat worthy, but not top tier.

For example, The Ranger. He should be able to detect stealth and other nearby enemies in a unique way that no other archetype can manage. The Forgemaster should uniquely make the best equipment, which is important to this game.

All support roles should be combat viable, but should not excel above others that are meant for combat roles.

Support classes in this game should invoke unique elements of strategy to them. They should also be combat worthy, but not top tier.

For example, The Ranger. He should be able to detect stealth and other nearby enemies in a unique way that no other archetype can manage. The Forgemaster should uniquely make the best equipment, which is important to this game.

All support roles should be combat viable, but should not excel above others that are meant for combat roles.

I couldn't agree more.

I really hope to your point that the classes all synergize in groups. Balance is often broken when a class doesn't need the help of other classes.

My hope is no one class is great in solo play or easily countered by a different class (rock paper scissors)

Edited by Kell

Support classes could operate in unique ways, like forgemaster and ranger being more efficient at operating siege machinery, or recovering structures during battle, or druids creating a short hedge of brush to obstruct opponent advancing, assuming they own their collision features and ninja double jumps.

Putting classes in distinctly different roles eliminates the burden of balance as it makes every character essential.

The best quarterback in the world is useless without any receivers, and the linemen are pointless without a quarterback, if their all essential, you'll rely on including all or as many of them as possible because you need them for different things.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

The way the support classes worked in Shadowbane were perfect! I think this game is taking that same route.

I was a healer so I could snare people and heal people and port people, but not damage people per se. I was utility.  I also had a thief (Aracoix) so I could steal from  peoples inventory. Most groups who went out to farm would bring a 'scout' to keep a look out for people like me. The more I read about this game the more excited I get. It has the best parts from some of my favorite games. UO/SWG and SWTOR all included.

What are you going to be soloing?  About 99% of this game is PvP.

Even the beginning? With the fog of war on i assumed people would be establishing themselves.

You establish yourself by yourself, I'm going to be establishing myself with my group and rolling up on solos like Gandhi.

Don't imagine that you're going to have a slow warmup period while you get acquainted with the game and the campaignworld. The groups that are trying to win are going to hit the ground at a full sprint.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

What are you going to be soloing?  About 99% of this game is PvP. 

Made up number is made up...

Guess this is only 1%

102824.jpg

tumblr_nkc5xfHqj81qkdqdko4_1280.jpg

2% right?.... o wait.

Crowfall_ZombieLineupConcept.jpg

Dangit, looks like 3%, 3 times more than you claimed... but I'm positive that these are THE ONLY hostile NPCs in crowfall, EVERYTHING else will be PvP >.>

How much a PvP-oriented player will need to solo-PVE in a campaign is as yet undetermined, as it relates to something they haven't decided on - are players in a new campaign dropped individually and scattered randomly throughout the fogged-out map, or do they have common spawn-in locations. In my opinion it is more than likely we will see both scenarios, with the 2 faction-based campaign types having some common spawn-in point for people of that faction, and the other rulesets having something more individual and random. This latter scenario was referenced by the devs and will definitely appear in some form.

In that case, even with out of game coordination via voice-comms, you will need to travel from where you spawn in to the people you are grouping up with, and thus you will have to fight some mobs solo. You'll probably want to do some of that anyway in the first hour/day so as to acquire items or materials, consumables etc. Given that, in the context of support classes being less capable when it comes to combat, there will be definite differences on how to survive from the world-entry to the group-up point.

Fortunately, characters in CF will be highly customizable, so a support Archetype could use up a Discipline slot to enhance their combat or solo capabilities, such as a pet-related Discipline like Beastmaster or Falconry. A support character won't be helpless solo, they will just won't be optimal.

Edited by Anthrage

I want to play a tank who does little to no damage but slows and disrupts infantry to protect the other fighters! It's my dream for Ser Merrick!

On 3/25/2015 at 11:06 PM, EDM said:

I am definitely hoping that Crowfall can redefine the meaning of support and create some intense battle scenery. 

What about your hopes?

On 3/29/2015 at 2:36 PM, snissel said:

Since there will be no fire hose healing and no real pve, I'm excited to see what kind of pvp support class they make.

haha, i was gonna say ...what?

then i saw Yowha necroed this thread from march of 2015, lol