Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starting To Get Nervous... Will Crowfall Be P2W?

memar1

Starting to see a trend that I've seen in many other MMO's. The devs are starting to get greedy.

Before I start my explanation, I want to say that I've been telling people that Crowfall will not be Pay to Win. I could go into several reasons, but the main one is that the developers have a greater responsibility to their players because Crowfall is not Free to Play. We are already making a large investment to just play the game, so if it is unbalanced towards whales (people who spend thousands on a game), then new people will not play the game, and it will die, regardless of how cool the mechanics are. It might be more profitable in the short term, but I would never play a game by that developer again.

That said, I completely expect the developers to be responsible. I expect them to seriously think about all the points I'm about to make, so that it won't affect the game too much (even if they don't read this thread).

So here are the elements that are starting to pop up that I think could potentially harm the game's balance:

• Being able to sell VIP membership. This is essentially the same as buying in-game currency. In fact, I completely expect VIP membership to become a kind of their own currency, because they will hold their value even though gold will inflate. Basically, you can buy VIP membership for real-money, and sell it for in-game gold. That's exactly the same as buying gold. You can even trade them during Campaigns, which would give the players a way to exploit the "currency" as a way to pay to win at campaigns. This will certainly have an impact on game balance.
  • Paying taxes with real money. This is less clear than the VIP trading, but it essentially gives guilds and players that buy taxes more money than those who don't. This is also essentially the same as buying gold. They haven't announced this yet, but with the ability to buy tax-free land already, I completely expect this to be a "feature".
  • Buying mounts/caravans with real money. This is a direct, obvious advantage because mounts will obviously be an important feature that has a large impact on a team winning a campaign or not. Again, this has not been announced yet, but the way Kickstarter is going, I expect it to be a feature.
  • Buying Artifacts/Relics/Thralls for real money. Again, not officially announced, but we can already see by the new stretch goals that this will be a feature. "Upgrade to the $100 bundle to get a thrall that will buff your crafting training permanently. Upgrade to $60 and we'll give you buffs that never run out!" These are buffs, which is power, for money. I mean come on, how more direct can you get? It directly effects campaign balance.
  • Minotaur Archetype reserved for VIP members only for the first month. What is this? Giving people who pay extra the opportunity to access more mechanics? Sure, the kickstarter backers will all have a free VIP month, but you're totally ruining your chances to appeal to people who didn't participate in the kickstarter. You're literally creating a money gate for your players who are ALREADY paying $50 to play your game. This is disappointing.
  • Buying land and parcels for real money. This does not have a direct impact on campaigns, but it does have an indirect one. Guilds who can better afford to buy land with real money will have stronger members because more people can share buffs from the artifacts/relics/thralls.
  • The Tournament System. This has only been recently announced, and has not been reached from the time of this post, but come on. It will happen. Normally, it wouldn't be bad; in fact, this is a cool new addition. The problem is that this is going to be pay to win no matter what. Guilds with more resources will be able to recruit more members, so the biggest and most active guilds will win, regardless of skill or tactics. In addition, if the tournaments are held in the Eternal Kingdoms, which are already shaping up to be pay to win, it could be even worse.

There are many more that are starting to crop up, but this is a start. Devs, please don't get greedy. I believed you when you said you wanted to make a balanced, fun game; not another pay to win knockoff. Find some way to stick to your promises, but keep the game balanced. Please.

Questions? Comments?

TLDR: VIP trading is bad, and so is buying in-game power (like relics, blessings, mounts, caravans, access to Minotaurs, etc) with money. It DOES affect game balance.

Edit: for those that didn't read, this is what they said about minotaurs in their update: 

And as a special "thank you" to our VIP members (which, thanks to the unlocked 13,000 backer reward means ALL of you!) we're going to give you a 1-month head start on creating characters of this type.

Edited by memar1

Sweet topic. You and Sheen can bash eachothers skulls in over this for like 15 pages I bet.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Yes yes.

P2W is the new fad.

Ask yourself if you think these developers want it to br pay to win.

Then ask yourself if they don't have the experience in the industry to know what they are doing.

Its not really more than that.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

There's another game in existence that mimics a lot of what you're saying, so you can go check out how it affects things there.

DC Universe Online.  You have to earn all your own gear, but it's all about paying to access more content than free players can, with buffs for VIP players to accelerate things, and the ability to sell things from the cash shop in game for gold.

Starting to see a trend that I've seen in many other MMO's. The devs are starting to get greedy.

Before I start my explanation, I want to say that I've been telling people that Crowfall will not be Pay to Win. I could go into several reasons, but the main one is that the developers have a greater responsibility to their players because Crowfall is not Free to Play. We are already making a large investment to just play the game, so if it is unbalanced towards whales (people who spend thousands on a game), then new people will not play the game, and it will die, regardless of how cool the mechanics are. It might be more profitable in the short term, but I would never play a game by that developer again.

That said, I completely expect the developers to be responsible. I expect them to seriously think about all the points I'm about to make, so that it won't affect the game too much (even if they don't read this thread).

So here are the elements that are starting to pop up that I think could potentially harm the game's balance:

• Being able to sell VIP membership. This is essentially the same as buying in-game currency. In fact, I completely expect VIP membership to become a kind of their own currency, because they will hold their value even though gold will inflate. Basically, you can buy VIP membership for real-money, and sell it for in-game gold. That's exactly the same as buying gold. You can even trade them during Campaigns, which would give the players a way to exploit the "currency" as a way to pay to win at campaigns. This will certainly have an impact on game balance.
  • Paying taxes with real money. This is less clear than the VIP trading, but it essentially gives guilds and players that buy taxes more money than those who don't. This is also essentially the same as buying gold. They haven't announced this yet, but with the ability to buy tax-free land already, I completely expect this to be a "feature".
  • Buying mounts/caravans with real money. This is a direct, obvious advantage because mounts will obviously be an important feature that has a large impact on a team winning a campaign or not. Again, this has not been announced yet, but the way Kickstarter is going, I expect it to be a feature.
  • Buying Artifacts/Relics/Thralls for real money. Again, not officially announced, but we can already see by the new stretch goals that this will be a feature. "Upgrade to the $100 bundle to get a thrall that will buff your crafting training permanently. Upgrade to $60 and we'll give you buffs that never run out!" These are buffs, which is power, for money. I mean come on, how more direct can you get? It directly effects campaign balance.
  • Minotaur Archetype reserved for VIP members only for the first month. What is this? Giving people who pay extra the opportunity to access more mechanics? Sure, the kickstarter backers will all have a free VIP month, but you're totally ruining your chances to appeal to people who didn't participate in the kickstarter. You're literally creating a money gate for your players who are ALREADY paying $50 to play your game. This is disappointing.
  • Buying land and parcels for real money. This does not have a direct impact on campaigns, but it does have an indirect one. Guilds who can better afford to buy land with real money will have stronger members because more people can share buffs from the artifacts/relics/thralls.
  • The Tournament System. This has only been recently announced, and has not been reached from the time of this post, but come on. It will happen. Normally, it wouldn't be bad; in fact, this is a cool new addition. The problem is that this is going to be pay to win no matter what. Guilds with more resources will be able to recruit more members, so the biggest and most active guilds will win, regardless of skill or tactics. In addition, if the tournaments are held in the Eternal Kingdoms, which are already shaping up to be pay to win, it could be even worse.

There are many more that are starting to crop up, but this is a start. Devs, please don't get greedy. I believed you when you said you wanted to make a balanced, fun game; not another pay to win knockoff. Find some way to stick to your promises, but keep the game balanced. Please.

Questions? Comments?

TLDR: VIP trading is bad, and so is buying in-game power (like relics, blessings, mounts, caravans, access to Minotaurs, etc) with money. It DOES affect game balance.

Edit: for those that didn't read, this is what they said about minotaurs in their update: 

Edited by Kyutaru

Stopped reading there. Pretty sure they've also said there's no in game currency apart from resources that you gain from campaigns.

231e101d88.jpg

tumblr_lvdnq0KEP81qggdq1.jpg

IhhQKY6.gif