Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TragicNumberOne

What Do You Think Of A Consolidated Currency?

There was a brief mention of having the possible ability to create a stackable coin in-game. What do you think about this?

I am personally against having a pseudo-universal currency ( I say pseudo because the coins count as items, not as "currency") I like the idea of needing to go from city to city, and dealing with exchange raters.

Say I go to one city in which the common currency is stone, from which point I need to deal with the exchange rate to wood in the next... then to transfer to gold... and then gold again in the next city that is suffering from inflation(making my gold less valuable).  I feel a pheudo currency would just ruin some of the economic potential, both in campaigns, and EKs.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

independently controlled currency

No, it will turn into resource-based currency every time. It is form of barter... and you can't exactly create underlying resource (without expanding labor).

What you are asking is FIAT currency. That is, someone could print currency and force everyone within kingdom to use it. That might be interesting.

Like, in Sinij's Kingdom everyone has to pay rents and taxes in Sinij Coins. That Sinij can just print at any time... while others have to exchange for resources.

No, it will turn into resource-based currency every time. It is form of barter... and you can't exactly create underlying resource (without expanding labor).

What you are asking is FIAT currency. That is, someone could print currency and force everyone within kingdom to use it. That might be interesting.

Like, in Sinij's Kingdom everyone has to pay rents and taxes in Sinij Coins. That Sinij can just print at any time... while others have to exchange for resources.

the difference is that these "coins" wont be coins, but rather something that already exists. The addition of "coins" just fundamentally changes the way people think of consolidate currencies.

Just leave it barter based. People will trade based on need. Sure ingots of some form will become more or less standard for sake efficiency, or it might not.

6 SoJ's for your Crown of Ages.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Just leave it barter based. People will trade based on need. Sure ingots of some form will become more or less standard for sake efficiency, or it might not.

That is the point. Hopefully, different places will use different currencies, creating an exchange based economy.

I am hugely in favour of a single, consolidated currency. There are just too many things which would make a barter economy far too complicated, not least of which is pricing things on an NPC vendor and upkeep costs. Everyone jumping on the "Oooh, barter is great!" economy already admit that a resource will become the base exchange unit, so why not just give the players that light weight, resource derived unit which ties in to all the other in-game systems.

This is not to say that exchange between players cannot be barter based - of course it can! But just having that singular, valuable item will solve so many future headaches it's not even funny. Humanity dropped barter and adopted currency for a reason.

In reality if every EK used the same coin as there currency there would still be a difference in value based on the local economy. For example US dollars and Euros are both just pieces of paper with numerical values attached yet 10 dollars and ten Euros are far from the same value.

in essence you still have different values in different places

I am hugely in favour of a single, consolidated currency. There are just too many things which would make a barter economy far too complicated, not least of which is pricing things on an NPC vendor and upkeep costs. Everyone jumping on the "Oooh, barter is great!" economy already admit that a resource will become the base exchange unit, so why not just give the players that light weight, resource derived unit which ties in to all the other in-game systems.

This is not to say that exchange between players cannot be barter based - of course it can! But just having that singular, valuable item will solve so many future headaches it's not even funny. Humanity dropped barter and adopted currency for a reason.

Works for Path of Exile. By the way I thought we just learned that chickens are the single consolidated currency?

In reality if every EK used the same coin as there currency there would still be a difference in value based on the local economy. For example US dollars and Euros are both just pieces of paper with numerical values attached yet 10 dollars and ten Euros are far from the same value.

in essence you still have different values in different places

this is true, but each currency also represents different values. I forget them name of an un-backed currency, but if these currencies were backed(like when they used to have gold) a dollar might be redeemable for 1 ounce of gold while a euro is redeemable for 2(and no... a dollar and an ounce of gold are not anywhere NEAR each other in value)

Works for Path of Exile. By the way I thought we just learned that chickens are the single consolidated currency?

chickens... the strongest currency out there. Next to, of course... the Zimbabwean dollar

this is true, but each currency also represents different values. I forget them name of an un-backed currency, but if these currencies were backed(like when they used to have gold) a dollar might be redeemable for 1 ounce of gold while a euro is redeemable for 2(and no... a dollar and an ounce of gold are not anywhere NEAR each other in value)

On British bank notes it still says "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of X pounds", signed the chief cashier of the Bank of England.

Pounds = pounds of silver sterling. 

Edited by M0rdred

On British bank notes it still says "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of X pounds", signed the chief cashier of the Bank of England.

Pounds = pounds of silver sterling. 

I didn't know the pound was still backed by precious metals... interesting