Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TragicNumberOne

What Do You Think Of A Consolidated Currency?

Whether or not they will still honour that or not I cannot say. Still pretty cool though.

I must imagine... if we found a massive group of silver veins underground... what would happen to the pound then?

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

It may not be for everyone, but it is something to think about, that the 'game of coins' could be part of Crowfall as well...a group could focus on the economic game to such a degree, that they, not the devs, would determine what the transactional currency is. Equal parts scary and awesome.

Yes, this.

Some players will need to keep in mind that crafting in Crowfall is PvP. All economic transactions and resource gathering is done by players in competition with other players. Even if there's an NPC at the point of interaction, it's a player-owned thrall.

Asking for a single consolidated currency, defined by the game rather than the players, is asking for PvE easy-mode. Just as you have to face conflict with other players in the world over geography and resources, so will you have to face conflict with other players when you trade and craft. The game needs to step back and let the players define our interactions, rather than have the game put artificial walls around us.

It will be scary and awesome. Some players will be scary good at the economy and outplay everyone else. That is what will Crowfall make awesome: players carving out their own niches, be it combat, crafting, training, etc.

Kickstarter Backer #1070

yeah, we are trying to find a way to make the in-game currency more "real", and impactful in a Campaign.  It takes up space, you have to cart it around (which exposes it to risk), etc.

There is a scene in the HBO series "ROME" where all of the gold (meaning ALL the gold of the city) was piled into a massive cart with a tarp over it.  A cart that could be lost, stolen, re-appropriated.... I remember thinking "wow, the implications of having currency as an actual, tangible item are really cool."

That said, pure barter requires a high level of interaction between buyers and sellers for every transaction... which is why coins exist, in the first place.

We're still noodling over this system.  I think we've got a good high-level vision for where we want to go, it will just take some work to get there.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

yeah, we are trying to find a way to make the in-game currency more "real", and impactful in a Campaign.  It takes up space, you have to cart it around (which exposes it to risk), etc.

There is a scene in the HBO series "ROME" where all of the gold (meaning ALL the gold of the city) was piled into a massive cart with a tarp over it.  A cart that could be lost, stolen, re-appropriated.... I remember thinking "wow, the implications of having currency as an actual, tangible item are really cool."

That said, pure barter requires a high level of interaction between buyers and sellers for every transaction... which is why coins exist, in the first place.

We're still noodling over this system.  I think we've got a good high-level vision for where we want to go, it will just take some work to get there.

Todd

ACE

Everything is strategic, I see it is indeed a very brave and challenging idea but if it can be accomplished will be a great feat on the strategic matters.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Well you all know my stance on coins by now (go coins!), but what you say, Todd, cheers me. Of course coinage should be a tangible, lootable asset, because that makes absolute sense in a PvP setting where economic warfare is a fascinating reality.

Doesn't reduce the need for a single, consolidated currency system though, and if anything supports it. You can cut off enemy access to currency at the source (the gold mine), at the production (the mint), or at the sale (markets). Each providing a point of vulnerability to be exploited by other players.

Edited by M0rdred

Todd

ACE

sounds cool, but please don't do it like early UO, where you had to trade 17 times for larger sums of money because of weight restrictions ;)

Can we call the currency 'Bawks'?

I do like that it's actually a THING in this game as opposed to just a number that nobody else can reach. Actually, I love it, and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Todd

ACE

You need to be careful with this.  EVE Online originally had their currency (ISK) as a tangible inventory item as well.  There was a dupe bug that cropped up during beta that was one reason to not have it as an inventory item.  I don't know all the reasons they decided not to have it as a tangible item but that one I remember very clearly.

Just keep an eye on it, weigh the pros and cons and use good judgement.   ;)

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

A currency that is physically available and can be stolen, makes a game so much more engaging. Does it mean we can actually store our Currencies on the World Map and hide it within a Campaign?

It would be awesome if it were possible, so we could hide some of our coin in case we get ganked in a player build City by some shady Thiefs. :P

EVE Online originally had their currency (ISK) as a tangible inventory item as well.  There was a dupe bug that cropped up during beta that was one reason to not have it as an inventory item.  I don't know all the reasons they decided not to have it as a tangible item but that one I remember very clearly.

Extremely valid point, though unfortunately making the gold intangible won't save us from dupe bugs...  In fact, having items (with a unique item ID) can give you some additional failsafes that aren't available with a simple counter.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

A currency that is physically available and can be stolen, makes a game so much more engaging. Does it mean we can actually store our Currencies on the World Map and hide it within a Campaign?

It would be awesome if it were possible, so we could hide some of our coin in case we get ganked in a player build City by some shady Thiefs. :P

digging a hole and dropping resources? lol. guinecean thieves digging the whole campaign to find your loot.

Todd

ACE

If you are going to make an in-game coin, could you allow for multiple types of coins be available, or even allow people to mint their own, unique, coins with unique identifiable signatures. That would allow for the exchange rates, while still having coins.

multi-type currency example: coin type 1, coin type 2, coin type 3 etc.

Player made coin example: coin with a owl and spear signature unique to a certain player. While an other player has a coin with a wolf and helmet. I love the idea of exchange rates.

I would love if it turns out that each guild had their own self regulated currency. I would like to see a vibrant market with many currencies being used in different transaction... of course the value of the coins should be determined by players/guilds

If each guild had their own currencies: alliances could have consolidated currencies, and then sub-currencies... Oh the possibilities!

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Extremely valid point, though unfortunately making the gold intangible won't save us from dupe bugs...  In fact, having items (with a unique item ID) can give you some additional failsafes that aren't available with a simple counter.

Todd

ACE

Another perk of the item IDs is that you might be able to individually track coins to track the economy. Probably not worth it with every coin but might be useful with a sampling from each Campaign Embargo?

CopperStall