Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TiredGiant

Stronger As Winter Approaches?

We've been told that centaurs are great early game but will become a liability in fall and winter due to higher warmth/food requirements. There's no particular reason FWs couldn't have the mirror image of that- unexceptional in the early game, but a great resource in winter since they can travel far and fight effectively without a major logistics effort to keep them fed..

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty careful giving straight-up performance upgrades to a certain archetype purely based on the passage of time. But, cost benefits? That'd be pretty cool. :)

I dare say that ideally, though, every Archetype (or most of them at least) should be touched in some way by the passage of time. Otherwise, it's a whole extra layer on one or two that the others don't get to experience. It'd be like a handful of Archetypes getting active abilities, and the other Archetypes just getting an auto-attack and passive abilities, and that's it. You could even balance that, in the grand scheme, but it'd be kinda lame to be restricted to nothing but a basic attack while everyone else has so many different interesting attacks.

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

This actually makes sense since some of what the devs have said lead us to believe that different archetypes will be better during different seasons. I could see this working

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

I'm pretty sure I've read something about the centaur not being able to handle the cold as well, so it's possible that the reverse is true of the FW. Very curious as well.

qxj6ljA.jpg

Wouldnt that be a unfair advantage towards the other classes ?  Although i would like to see it in play

Not if she is weaker during the summer. It then becomes a question of whether you want to try to snowball early or bide your time and go for a strong late-game.

Sorry for the late reply.

I like that one. Always been a fan of "out of the box CC".

How'd you want to implement that? Like a flashbang or like a mist that surrounds the player or something totally different?

I like the idea of a misty vortex of snowflakes surrounding the target (caster, other player, or object). 

Enemy targets should have the chance to resist the power centering on them.

Successful resistance would allow the enemy target to walk out of the affected area before duration expires.

Fire AoE attacks should shorten the duration.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

If Confessors wane in power and Frostweavers wax as winter approaches, a lot of players using VIP would play a Confessor and a Frostweaver on the same account.

They would anyway, but even more with this mechanic.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I am very interested to see how this plays out, I am most excited for this archetype atm, and this mechanic would definitely increase interest and add another layer to the strategy of campaigns.

I don't like the idea of a seasonal penalties and bonuses. If the penalty/bonus is strong enough to matter, you have a too weak/strong scenario. If the penalty/bonus is insignificant, the entire mechanic is insignificant. Is there a sweet spot? I seriously doubt it. 

We are talking potentially (depending on campaign) weeks or more of enduring penalties. Imagine a simple penalty like -10% run speed in summer and a +10% run speed in winter. Maybe some would like this but I don't think i would.

I don't like the idea of a seasonal penalties and bonuses. If the penalty/bonus is strong enough to matter, you have a too weak/strong scenario. If the penalty/bonus is insignificant, the entire mechanic is insignificant. Is there a sweet spot? I seriously doubt it. 

We are talking potentially (depending on campaign) weeks or more of enduring penalties. Imagine a simple penalty like -10% run speed in summer and a +10% run speed in winter. Maybe some would like this but I don't think i would.

The penalties/bonuses from the different seasons do us the favor of changing what strategies and group compositions will be effective over time. You'll craft different vessels, gear and runes to meet the challenges of the different seasons, making crafters and resource acquisition all the more important.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Rather then stronger I would go with different ?

You know as : our heroes are more desperate when time passes and there is no conclusion :

Eg :

Spring : + def

Summer : + small def

Aut : + small attack

Winter : + attack

Of course Attack and Def buffs are out of ass and can be any other stat or combination or vary per archtype.

Flavor instead of Power Creep with seasons.

Rather then stronger I would go with different ?

You know as : our heroes are more desperate when time passes and there is no conclusion :

Eg :

Spring : + def

Summer : + small def

Aut : + small attack

Winter : + attack

Of course Attack and Def buffs are out of ass and can be any other stat or combination or vary per archtype.

Flavor instead of Power Creep with seasons.

Yeah something like that could work very well on a defensive character I think like a knight

For the Frost weave specifically maybe during the summer you still get something unique and useful for your team, but overall combat would be rather week to have an incentive to still use it in the summer, but during the winter it would then be a quite a bit stronger

I think this is a good, general idea. I think the devs have said something along the lines of it being okay for some classes to have a strong niche over other archetypes and this could be a creative way to incorporate that into FW. 

Of the Hawk People

The penalties/bonuses from the different seasons do us the favor of changing what strategies and group compositions will be effective over time. You'll craft different vessels, gear and runes to meet the challenges of the different seasons, making crafters and resource acquisition all the more important.

... this. Keeping the crafters busy and resource acquisition a viable gameplay experience could really make or break Crowfall. I love the PvP that I've seen so far but  I anticipate there will be a huge influx of people who play this game solely for the crafting and guild support roles within the campaigns themselves.

I think they used Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter as more of an example of a stage shifting from 4 phases of a campaign than actual seasonal relation, hence the campaigns can be different times periods.

However, it can be thought of "hunger" increasing in strength and other elements (if we assume hunger to be an element) weakening. The archetypes actually have different resistances to Hunger.

This entire system can play in to an advanced tactical equation, right? If you plan and pick all archetypes that are weak to the hunger your going to have a bad time toward the end of the campaign while highly resistance archetypes will begin to gain ground quickly toward the closing of the campaign. Also, what if your guild didint build in to hunger resistance gear? Again this may be another way to gain advantages over another faction or guild toward the end, build armor and damage types geared inline with the campaign.

I think resistances and damage types will change either direction depending on the phase. Otherwise i wouldn't think they would of already added Hunger as a resistance type :)

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

Now that we have a food mechanic, I expect the seasons will play a part determining how much food we need - maybe spring/summer very little, fall a bit more, winter a lot.  I expect a warmth mechanic to have a similar effect.

As far as differentiated effects by archetype, it's still an intriguing idea but will sadly be a source of so much complaining, too.  

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I think that one way to dont make they too Op would be like in winter were everyone get a debuff of stamina or something, classes like frostwaver and rogue (lore wise because in their story they say that before the world are consumed by the hunger they will come back to rescue and kill the people that couldnt leave.) would not be affected or less affected. 

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣