Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willwill

Crowfall : Crowdfunded Or Paid Hype?

Speaking from a point of view of a game who has said they needed to come to kickstarter to fund their idea, i have noticed over the last few days, that several gaming websites.. ahem are running full page ads for the kickstarter and game. Does this worry you at all? Are they just locking in your funds now instead of hyping and giving you a chance to actually beta test the game before deciding to pay money?  I have been one of the largest critics of this game.  However, i am curious on what the community's thoughts on a crowdfunded game paying for advertisement's on gaming websites? 

Here is my thoughts, and they are my opinion.

Crowfall's marketing from the start has been questionable, they hired a very attractive actress who could give a shiz about gaming to do interviews, had her hanging over men who were working on a computer, then did an interview with angled camera's directly at her breasts etc.. etc.. It was so bad that artcraft began to turn off comments on youtube because of it. Sleazy imo. And i'm a male! So i am not surprised that they marketed their ffa pvp game this way at all. If they didn't, they would of never funded. Their kickstarter video included faction vs faction and other rulesets, even short little videos of them. They were actually stretch goals, not even apart of the original kickstarter. Now they have taken the unethical (imo) part in taking out large ads on gaming sites, promising to make a game for people, as long as you give us your money for 2 years... and oh don't worry about the Kickstarter TOS, projects never fail and get canceled!

I'd be wary, they have done the exact opposite of the camelot unchained kickstarter, CU made all kinds of idea's,. whereis crowfall is giving you promises, and additionally adding more and more to the game, Neither of these 2 games will launch in 2016, i know a couple in pre alpha of both. Neither are even close to ready.

Edited by willwill

With the lack of accountability involved with kickstarter - ANYTHING could be going on. Company X might contact their top backers and tell them that they can receive a portion of their donation back, or receive special unadvertised perks in game - for say... often posting on a gaming site about how great X game is going to be.

Edited by willwill

Crowfall's marketing from the start has been questionable, they hired a very attractive actress who could give a shizi about gaming to do interviews, had her hanging over men who were working on a computer, then did an interview with angled camera's directly at her breasts etc.. etc.. It was so bad that artcraft began to turn off comments on youtube because of it. Sleazy imo. And i'm a male!

Are you sure ?

With the lack of accountability involved with kickstarter - ANYTHING could be going on. Company X might contact their top backers and tell them that they can receive a portion of their donation back, or receive special unadvertised perks in game - for say... often posting on a gaming site about how great X game is going to be.

Oh my, god, they totally could have! How do we know they aren't actually going to use the funds to buy child-sex slaves from Mars?!! We don't you guys! We don't know for SURESSLY! After all, they promoted their Kickstarter, so that means they're capable of anything - genocide maybe!

Hurgle-gurf! Huurk!

/stupidity off

Nobody was forced to do anything. That said I'm sure we have all dished out cash for a game that we just dropped shortly after without getting our moneys worth. I like the idea...marketing is a part of it...I am aware that anything might go wrong but hey whats the difference between that and all the games I pre-ordered then was completely disappointed. I am an avid gamer and knowing the history behind the developers I have hopes that this project is sucessful.

That being everyone is entitled to their opinion but the MMO market needs people to innovate and try move away from the WoW standard. Big companies keep turning out WoW copies instead of trying their own thing. So turning to us for funding is a bold move and hey if it worksout we all win and ofc they win and maybe get the spotlights and attention from 'higher powers'!

Go Crowfall!