Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keludar

Night Campaign

If they raise the money and are able to make this a part of the game there are two things that I would really want from this to make the day/night cycle dynamic and actually add another layer to the game.

1. A night cycle that is not extremely short and also is really really DARK, realism where it's hard to see without a light source. I know ACE is big into survival mode so this would play into it great. Imagine dropping into a campaign that's in the night cycle, you need to find your guild mates with no map and you can barely see on top of it.

2. I think it would insanely awesome to do a campaign where there wasn't a sun and the whole 3 months was spent fighting in darkness. To me this would be epic and I would love to see that as a ruleset,

I just remember playing the original EQ and how scary it was running through the Kithicor Forest at night (undead would only show up at this time and it was high level so you could easily die). I want that experience of consequence and fear back so my proposal is that if we get to a point where a day/night cycle exists that I want it to be very dynamic.

~Keludar Stormrunner | Twitch Stream

I think fighting in the darkness would be awesome, hopefully they add in a few campaigns that are perma-night! I can see the thousands of ambushes already, and it adds a whole new level to the whole unknown map thing.

Perhaps they draw inspiration from DayZ's night mode, despite the problems the feeling of wandering blindly in the night, scavenging for supplies is perfect for this game.

Hopefully they make it so that as Winter approaches the night gets darker and longer, ending with a world of darkness. 

I think fighting in the darkness would be awesome, hopefully they add in a few campaigns that are perma-night! I can see the thousands of ambushes already, and it adds a whole new level to the whole unknown map thing.

Perhaps they draw inspiration from DayZ's night mode, despite the problems the feeling of wandering blindly in the night, scavenging for supplies is perfect for this game.

Hopefully they make it so that as Winter approaches the night gets darker and longer, ending with a world of darkness. 

I love your addition of the night getting longer the closer it is to winter in regular campaigns on top of my suggestion to do campaigns in complete darkness. I hadn't really thought of that.

Edited by Keludar

This is a very cool idea, one that would make mastering your environment key.  Even when there are player-made or mob-made light sources around, utilizing the shadows could come into play.  A player might have an agonizing choice between utilizing light sources to see your way clearly and hope you don't draw attention to your caravan...or while moving about in extremely dark conditions, they hope the local bestiary doesn't appear suddenly and make them a snack.  Would love to see it implemented one day!   How well this would work I guess would relate to how easily can you track or select other characters nearby too.

The only thing I could see possibly being an issue is technical difficulties for lower end graphics cards not being able to accurately show shadows well.  Granted by the time this game is go for launch, I would hope most of us crows will have improved our tech.  I know I hope to!   :lol:

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

Limited visibility mechanics provide huge advantage to cheaters who just turn that hosiery off.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Very true on the technical side.  But what if you can't turn it off?  At least in the case of the overall lighting of the world as a whole being veiled in a reeeeally dark night, if they could find a way that even dynamic shadows being off and raising the gamma couldn't improve their vision during this ruleset, it could in theory work.  I'm not sure how they could do that, but it's food for thought.  :)

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

Eh, I've played a lot of games in which it was too dark to see properly and they were just annoying. Remember that one flood level of Halo 2 where its just fecking pitch black the whole way through... ugh. I do not want a game type where I keep getting stuck on terrain features that I just can't see.

What would be better for a 'night mode' campaign is one where the stealth mechanics are enhanced during night time, but you can still see what you're doing. The night-time would still be darker than day, but the difficulty would come from the mechanics and not just 'I can't see shiiit'

Alternatively, night mode could use a system a bit like the one from Don't Starve, where if you get caught in the dark you're dead, so you have to plan ahead to make sure you always end up near a light source when evening falls, and that you always have enough fuel to keep it burning. This way, it doesn't matter if the darkness is so dark that you can't see what you're doing, because you're dead if it ever comes to that point anyway.

Edited by 11nephilim

What will happen instead is that players will start cranking contrast and brightness. You don't control hardware or drivers, and there isn't anything you can do to stop this.

what if friend or foe is only revealed in a lighted area or in range of a torch?

Then it would be sight-challenged scenario, because this is not how 'night' generally works.

Visibility as an overall mechanic simply does not work in competitive online games because there is no way to prevent players from forcibly cranking up gamma, turning off lighting altogether, or a nuber of other driver adjustments that you as a develop can not control.

It's fine in single player games because generally people aren't effecting the play of others when they cheat it a little, and most people play single players games with the expressed intent of not cheating their way through in the first place.

Competitive gaming online, however, is a different beast. Players are encouraged to use whatever advantages they have available to win the game, and your job as a developer is ensuring that you can enforce "legal" and "illegal" modes of play.

This creates a situation where your mechanic only punishes people who don't have out-of-game knowledge of how to set things up in their driver control panel, and once everyone does it, your game is just annoying and really ugly at night. Not only that, you can't actually enforce a rule like "don't use driver adjustments" because you'd then need the manufacturarers of every single GPU to create special driver packages just for you, and require people to only install those specialized drivers, or monitors, or whatever. Nobody is going to make that deal with you, an very few players are going to agree to that system.

Night can be mechanically interesting without simply turning out all the lights. More dangerous mob spawns, alterations to stealth mechanics, and other such things can change night play functionally. When you go this route you actually have the ability to enforce the rules of your game.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Then it would be sight-challenged scenario, because this is not how 'night' generally works.

Though isn't it logical? Night brings reduced visibility.
Making it harder to tell friend from foe at a distance
These difficulties of perception lends itself to fearing the unknown.
Then players can alter their brightness all they want..the only way to tell enemy from friend is to identify the target.

Everyone ends up playing vampire and werewolf so they can see and detect at night :P

maybe there would be an archetype with nightvision.But I think it should be a special ablility of 1 archetype then,like the nightwalker I posted earlier in the exotic topic..

Vampire and werewolf are already being planned as disciplines, though a few archetypes should have night vision too, like Guineceans and rangers :)

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

According to the AMA, day and night cycles aren't officially even confirmed as being a thing. This game may not even include day and night cycles in the first place.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

who knows,but I don't think it should be disregarded so quickly..Also think it might be cool if there are creatures that only appear at night

Also

with friendly fire,just picking out targets with altered brightness could hurt your own faction if you kill unidentified targets that are actually allies :D Would that even be an issue to start with when players alter their brightness..I wouldn't say for sure  :lol:

Edited by Tipsy

According to the AMA, day and night cycles aren't officially even confirmed as being a thing. This game may not even include day and night cycles in the first place.

If you read my first post this is a suggestion IF they raise money to add it into the game.

Night would be cool but not permanight. I wouldn't want it to last too long. Heck I remember a friend and I in Dayz as night came upon us we were in starry. We had to sit in a house it was pitch-black for 4 hours. I don't want that. Yeah I could have messed with my gamma but that's isn't fun.

What will happen instead is that players will start cranking contrast and brightness. You don't control hardware or drivers, and there isn't anything you can do to stop this.

There is ways to prevent contrast and brightness tweaks. They could reduce view distance to X making everything past that pitch black (as in cannot see through at all even if it was day) then if you carry a light source it could push the view distance further etc.

This would not be exploitable.

See Sinij, you can have the cake too. Just need to think about it a bit more.