Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kampfbock

Creating A Global Logistics Network(Player Controlled Ah)

to all crafter,merchants,gatherers and all guilds that focus on these aspects,hear me out!

tl;tr:as alliance of crafting/gathering/trade guilds,we could create a global network of store houses,which would serve as banks and stock market(player controlled AH).

we would have to ensure security with our troops.

as you may know i am part of the trade company,a guild focused on business with a democratic structure.

but i am not here to recruit you,no i am here to propose something to you that would benefit us all.

the standard combat guilds will have big armies and they will conquer and defend sources of raw materials with them(PoI)

they will probably have their own crafting section as well to support their army with equip,and they supply those crafters with the steady flow of raw-materials form the conquered PoI.

they have the materials,they have the crafters they have the army,what do they need us for?

what keeps them form just annihilating us?

well of course we may also possess small armies supported by mercenaries,but will this be enough?

it may be enough once,but we can't afford to be thrown into constant wars.

we have to be needed by the world,not just needed by our members,but needed by everyone.

we have to become a fundamental part of the campaigns,we have to become a crucial existence for the world.

an indisputable institution that no one wants to meddle with,because our existence is much more valuable than our annihilation could ever be.

so if it is not our crafters who grant us this position what will it be?

i am pretty sure that it could be the global market and an efficient and secure trade network.

we have to become the link in the value chain between gatherers,crafters and consumers of products.

this i where the merchants of europe shined throughout the centuries,this is what trade is today and ever was and it is what made venice,genoa,the hanseatic league powerful and influential.

so i propose that we work together in creating such a network,not by all uniting into one guild,no this network should be completely informal,independent from guild and faction politics.

there is no hierarchy or anything like that.

only individual crafters and merchants striving for profits,profits that could be made far more easy with a global,secure and efficiently working network.

now you may ask,well sounds good but how do we achieve that?

well let me tell you!

how to do it:

for this to work our logistics are crucial,without them everything else cannot work out.

at the beginning there is our merchant.

and we will have to take a look at how a merchant will work in this game,before we can think of anything else.

there will be PoI,where large quantities of raw-materials are harnessed.

the consumer of these raw-materials would be the crafters,who live in far away cities.

but the streets are dangerous and  the PoI owners lack the meaning to transport all this stuff to the city.

so a sly merchant will travel form PoI to PoI and buy raw materials from which he knows that they can be sold profitable at certain places.

he transports them into the cities where he sells the materials to crafters.at the same time he purchases produced goods from the crafter and sells those to someone else at another place.

knowing this,we have to provide a secure and efficient network of trade routes for those wandering merchants.

because if those merchants can transport goods in a secure and efficient manner,everyone will prefer doing transportation over these merchants rather than doing it themselves.

so how can we raise efficiency of these caravans?

we,the different trade/crafting guilds,could establish store houses all over the world,located in cities and at roads.

these storehouses can serve as save havens in the wilderness in addition to their usefulness as storage rooms for crafters and merchants alike.

you could even sell your goods to the store house and the next merchant or crafter visiting there can buy those good.

as you may see here the sum of all store houses would become something like the stock market we know from real life.

different sore houses would represent different indices.

and now to the security part.

without security this system won't be desired by anyone,if it is insecure people can just do it themselves rather than making use of our wandering merchants.

knowing this i highly advise that we primarily use our army to defend store houses and wandering merchants,rather than using it for unprofitable hostilities.

if we work together we can achieve such a global trade network much faster and it will benefit us all.

should you guys be interested you can take a look into the following thread to learn more about our guild,you can look at our website or just ask me questions per PM.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5303-the-trade-company-wants-you/

http://thetradecompany.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2082717

Edited by kampfbock

I agree that we need communication but, keep in mind that every campaign words is randomly generated and all of them are different rule-sets as well.

What that means is that even if we had a group of 1,000 people that had a Ventrilo server the only way to guarantee that we get all of them together is by joining the same campaign or by not joining any campaigns.

We could set up some sort of rule-set that applied to every campaign and then have team leaders that disseminated information but, even this has the potential to fail with cross guild/cross faction spies.

Ultimately, I think the best way to do this is by gathering as many crafters as we can under the same guild or alliance of guilds and we either employ mercenary guilds to protect us or we recruit our own military.

If we had our own military, we could assign muscle to each crafter (sort of like a ninja squad) that would follow them into campaigns and be their bodyguards. It would give people a direct, short-term goal to achieve and it would build close knit groups.

*edit* A crafter could even choose their team...one person might want some stealth assassins, another might just want a bunch of brutal centaur legionaries. The crafter would be responsible for supplying their team with food, items etc throughout the campaign. Protection for Protection. We can decide the ratio of crafter to team later.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

I agree that we need communication but, keep in mind that every campaign words is randomly generated and all of them are different rule-sets as well.

What that means is that even if we had a group of 1,000 people that had a Ventrilo server the only way to guarantee that we get all of them together is by joining the same campaign or by not joining any campaigns.

We could set up some sort of rule-set that applied to every campaign and then have team leaders that disseminated information but, even this has the potential to fail with cross guild/cross faction spies.

Ultimately, I think the best way to do this is by gathering as many crafters as we can under the same guild or alliance of guilds and we either employ mercenary guilds to protect us or we recruit our own military.

If we had our own military, we could assign muscle to each crafter (sort of like a ninja squad) that would follow them into campaigns and be their bodyguards. It would give people a direct, short-term goal to achieve and it would build close knit groups.

*edit* A crafter could even choose their team...one person might want some stealth assassins, another might just want a bunch of brutal centaur legionaries. The crafter would be responsible for supplying their team with food, items etc throughout the campaign. Protection for Protection. We can decide the ratio of crafter to team later.

dont misunderstand me here,i don't want such a organized cooperation as you might imagine it,if you expect meetings in teamspeak or such.

the only thing we need to cooperate on as trade guilds,would be the establishment of a logistic network(storehouses) and of course positioning our armies to protect this network from raiders.

the people using this network wouldn't necessarily be part of our guild,they wouldn't need to cooperate in anyway other than doing business with each other.

but they would still use the network and thus we,the guilds keeping the network up,would become an irreplaceable institution in the world,serving everyone no mater what guild or faction he belongs to.

I definitely think a global network would help. Many people will benefit from having quick and trade routes, I am definitely going to help set it up because my guild will be somewhat focused on merchants.

I think this a great idea and i would love for our guild The Outsiders (http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5031-the-outsiders-an-intimate-crafting-guild/) to be a part of this. But i am heavily skeptical and wary for how exactly the security system will work. This is an obvious concern due to the amount of players who will be specifically targeting traders or Caravans.

"This is no place for the noble or young, born with the taste of blood on our tongues"

3 years SWTOR - 7 years LOTRO - Beta tester ESO - 4 years WoW - Beta tester RIFT

6TfiDku.gif

I can't speak to the high level organization aspect but I can comment that I've been planning to specifically act as a Mercenary Safari Guide for Crafters. I have seen a few others mention they liked the idea also.

CopperStall

I absolutely agree and fully support this idea, however: going to have to say that I am concerned when it comes to the Mercenary/ military organisation of this 'Crafting Alliance'. It will be hard to maintain an even distribution of said bodyguards throughout the 1k+(and more) crafters that will be.

I expect raids to happen. I expect traps/ ambushes to happen. When you have 15 'bodyguards' defending against a battalion of Bandits, you'll be done-for. Especially if it is organized to any extent.

Especially if they know you to be a dedicated crafter/ transporter/ merchant. You, and your guild, and this Alliance will be big targets.

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

I absolutely agree and fully support this idea, however: going to have to say that I am concerned when it comes to the Mercenary/ military organisation of this 'Crafting Alliance'. It will be hard to maintain an even distribution of said bodyguards throughout the 1k+(and more) crafters that will be.

I expect raids to happen. I expect traps/ ambushes to happen. When you have 15 'bodyguards' defending against a battalion of Bandits, you'll be done-for. Especially if it is organized to any extent.

Especially if they know you to be a dedicated crafter/ transporter/ merchant. You, and your guild, and this Alliance will be big targets.

well of course i considered this possibility but i think we could scare such people off,by being consequential about punishing such raids afterwards.

they may be able to kill some bodyguard stationed at a store house,but as punishment we will rally our men and hunt them down.

knowing this they would probably refer from doing this,since there are surely much more profitable targets that can't resort to such means.

but at the end of course it may happen,its a sandbox mmo after all^^

Edited by kampfbock

Ah, I see what you are saying!

If you have considered the fact that our trade lines could be raided, also consider this saying from Sun Tzu: "Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

You marshal your forces to retaliate, they move around your forces expecting the retaliation, and attack a now less defended place. Again, especially if they are organised to any extent, it'll be much worse. That storehouse will be raised to the ground by the time you realize that your forces were out-maneuvered.

The most profitable targets are the ones that think they are the most protected.

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

Ah, I see what you are saying!

If you have considered the fact that our trade lines could be raided, also consider this saying from Sun Tzu: "Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

You marshal your forces to retaliate, they move around your forces expecting the retaliation, and attack a now less defended place. Again, especially if they are organised to any extent, it'll be much worse. That storehouse will be raised to the ground by the time you realize that your forces were out-maneuvered.

The most profitable targets are the ones that think they are the most protected.

of course this could happen,but you just completely ignore that we are humans as well and no stupid AI,so we can outmaneuver the raiders just like they could out maneuver us,we just have to think about how we move our troops considering all this.

i actually read sun tzu just like i have read clausewitz's art of war,and i anticipate that CF creates a world where those strategies and tactics are actually applyable.

Edited by kampfbock

since a lot f people are concerned about safety let me go into that a little more.

the different guilds that band together to create this network would have to pool their armies together and then spread them in an efficient manner over the store houses.

what do i mean when i say efficient manner?

well a team of 5 mages is inefficient,a team of a tank,dds,supporters is much more suited.

this is much easier to do if the forces of the guilds are pooled together instead of having them act separately.

of course we would also make use of mercenaries,there exists already a wide range of merc-guilds that would gladly serve a wealthy employer in a long term contract.

furthermore the storehouses would be fortified to make them easier defendable,maybe it would be even possible to construct something like evacuation tunnels that allows the people  to save at least some of the stuff storaged there.

but if there should exist people that purely focus on raiding then these measures probably won't be enough,since they have the moment of surprise on their side.

the only thing we can do against those guys is to be a hard target.

whom would you rather rob,an unarmed or armed guy,someone who has the means to retaliate at another time or someone who can't?

well we already armed our store houses and have guards that merchants could hire,but as we already concluded these little troops of guardians won't withstand a big coordinated effort by a raid guild and what our store houses have in storage is worth the little fighting they would have to do.

so what other means do we have then?

well its fear,fear of the future.

if we are consequential about punishing raiders for their deeds then this preemptively scares raiders off.

because what good is raiding someone if some hours later my whole gang is rooted and robbed of everything,not just what they robbed but everything they owned before as well.

of course this is no absolute protection,there will still be raiders who think that it is profitable for them to raid us(not very smart),but this is the risk of trade in a medieval society,we can't completely eradicate it.

and eventually those guys serve a use, they serve as good example for all the other raiders,to not mess with us

we have to protect this network with an iron fist so raiders just deem it unprofitable to target us.

Edited by kampfbock