Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Syghts

Mercenaries

I think it would be awesome if a system was made for guilds to hire mercenaries for campaigns/caravans on the caravan side we don't really know how it will work so that might not be possible. But if a system  could be implemented where guilds can post prices for working with them  for that specific campaign that would be awesome their guild name would appear next to the mercs with something next to it indicating a mercenary. They post an amount they are willing to pay, the amount of openings and perhaps the mercenary rank(ranking explained below) they are willing to accept then mercs take the jobs.

Another list could be implemented for mercenaries looking for work where guilds could look to hire too. If the mercenary list where to work mercenary performance would have to be tracked so the better mercenaries could ask for more. Since there already will be a system tracking campaign performance for individual player rewards this one would be like that system but tweaked to maybe get an average campaign performance with maybe some different metrics.

You could also perhaps have merc companies but this might be a little harder to implement so maybe later on.

I think this would add alot to the game and help guilds that are smaller than their rivals but richer(resource/gold wise).

Dont need a system for that.

Offer your services on the forum and ingame as a merc for hire, show your skills and people will pay you for protection.

Theres no need for an NPC to do these kinds of social interactions for us, we as a playerbase can easily talk and exchange services ourselfes.

You don't really need to implement a specific system for this. Mercenaries can just... talk to guilds. You know, arrange a deal with words. 'Performance tracking' can just be done by word of mouth.

I'm disappointed you didn't reference here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3907-stormcrows-crows-for-hire-lets-develop-a-mercenary-ecosystem/?p=95697

;)

Headlight eloquently brings to light that there has been much discussion on a Merc system, most likely player run rather than an in game system.

There is a lot to digest in the forums. The search feature will help to answer many of your questions!

Forgive me for I did not use the Search lol. I'll go take a look at those topics and it's probably been disscussed. But if its run by the players and not a system you won't be able to see performance and it will be much harder for solo mercenaries to find jobs that fit their skills(it will expand how many people willing to participate being a merc too), sure the top top players might be known but the lessers will not. Having a system will allow everyone to take part easily without having to invest to much time into it(finding a fit). Although player forums and websites would be great and supplement it. Plus having it in system would allow campaigns to either allow mercs or dissallow them. I'll probably end up posting this in one of those threads.

Edited by Syghts

But if its run by the players and not a system you won't be able to see performance and it will be much harder for solo mercenaries to find jobs that fit their skills.

Performance will be your name known in that campaign(and later in the EK) as a good merc.

If you show decent skill, you dont kill and steal the stuff you protect and you do a good job, people are gonna hire you more because the risk is lower.  If I were a trader, I would more than likely hire a merc that is known for doing well and not backstabbing his employers.

And again, if you show that you are below average as a merc, people might not want to hire you, the same way that I wouldnt hire a guy that had "2 stars" in a NPC rating system. Word of mouth will be pretty important in CF.

Theres no need for an NPC to do this.

I'm interested in the topic so I'll read the other threads myself but for those against if you haven't yet I'd recommend considering the way eve does it. You place a contract on a corp, put up a payment amount, and each time you kill a player from said corp you get a little bit of that payment pool with the payment being some % of the value of the ship to avoid exploiting. Hope I got that explanation right I've been outa eve for a little while.

Performance will be your name known in that campaign(and later in the EK) as a good merc.

If you show decent skill, you dont kill and steal the stuff you protect and you do a good job, people are gonna hire you more because the risk is lower.  If I were a trader, I would more than likely hire a merc that is known for doing well and not backstabbing his employers.

And again, if you show that you are below average as a merc, people might not want to hire you, the same way that I wouldnt hire a guy that had "2 stars" in a NPC rating system. Word of mouth will be pretty important in CF.

Theres no need for an NPC to do this.

This is true and works to some extent but if there are many campaigns going on at once it will be hard for any guild to keep track of whos good and whos not.

Also if you make a system less time consuming(not doing it all out of game and off the books) the system will be used much more and I believe will make the game more fun for mercs and guilds who don't want to spend alot of time finding good mercs(of course as I said you can still search for them out of system if you want).

Truly with the game already tracking progress for campaign rewards for individuals at the end of every campaign I would think expanding it a bit more to allow for merc performance would not be a big deal.

Basically the best merc indivduals(maybe 100 I think thats a strech) will be well known and used and everyone else will get lowball payments even though they might be average or even good and worth more than they are payed. If you can name more than 20 people(naming the top 20 players also does not work because they might not do merc work) off the top of your head who are not in your guild and you have never played with before but heard about in a game thats pretty good but most people can't do that and there in lies the problem.

Edit: I thought I should also add in here what if all the well known mercenaries are hired(in a campaign that takes a long time) how do you decide on what to pay the lesser known ones whos worth has now just gone up but you know nothing about them, they might now get top dollar because they are best ones still available for hire. Truly a system would be a big help.

It's true you can do it without an NPC but it is extremely inefficient and therefore lots of people will not participate. In my opinion lots of people participating in mercenary work would make the game that much more fun. Also I never suggested an NPC but of course it can be done that way or be an official crowfall website or even just a tab in the games menu system. Also as I said above including it in a system allows the rules of a campaign to either have mercs turned on or off providing an interesting dynamic.

Edited by Syghts

It's true you can do it without an NPC but it is extremely inefficient and therefore lots of people will not participate.

Force players to actually socialize a little bit, and they will make it work.

MMO players today seem to have lost the meaning of actual social interactions in games... In most modern mmos, i click a button, queue up for dungeons/raids etc. Go in, exchange a few words, beat the last boss, loot and leave.

Same with the merc thing you suggest. I see a list of merc, click a button and he magically comes to me like I am a quest. this isnt social interaction. This is forced interaction by the game to make it easier for players NOT to talk to eachother.

We need to go back to older MMO's, where if you wanted to make a group happen, you had to talk. You wanted something crafted? you talk to crafters and make a deal. Want help transporting goods? Find some decent mercs and hire a few to help you.

Modern MMO's have destroyed the social aspect of the genre, and we need to take it back :)

Edited by zinnie

Force players to actually socialize a little bit, and they will make it work.

MMO players today seem to have lost the meaning of actual social interactions in games... In most modern mmos, i click a button, queue up for dungeons/raids etc. Go in, exchange a few words, beat the last boss, loot and leave.

Same with the merc thing you suggest. I see a list of merc, click a button and he magically comes to me like I am a quest. this isnt social interaction. This is forced interaction by the game to make it easier for players NOT to talk to eachother.

We need to go back to older MMO's, where if you wanted to make a group happen, you had to talk. You wanted something crafted? you talk to crafters and make a deal. Want help transporting goods? Find some decent mercs and hire a few to help you.

Modern MMO's have destroyed the social aspect of the genre, and we need to take it back :)

I see your point I just don't think it will work mercs will just be used few and far between. If you want social it will come in the form of the best guilds or ones who want to make their money work for them communicating with their mercs and using them to full effect. You still need to communicate and hey why not add in short reviews for the merc and a communication button so you can contact the merc in game you are thinking about. You can still make it social if thats what your aiming for it just needs more efficiency.

Edited by Syghts

I see your point I just don't think it will work mercs will just be used few and far between. If you want social it will come in the form of the best guilds or ones who want to make their money work for them communicating with their mercs and using them to full effect. You still need to communicate and hey why not add in short reviews for the merc and a communication button so you can contact the merc in game you are thinking about. You can still make it social if thats what your aiming for it just needs more efficiency.

Have to disagree.

I dont think we need the games help to do this.

We have forums where you can post what campaign you are in, and that you offer your services. We have in game channels, word of mouth.

A campaign can last a year, we will quickly know who the decent mercs are if they do their job right. A list can be fixed, a guild can vote a guy 5 stars and praise him to the heavens. Then I employ him and he and his friends robs me.

Systems can be broken and cheated upon.. Actual skill and reputation in the world cant.

Have to disagree.

I dont think we need the games help to do this.

We have forums where you can post what campaign you are in, and that you offer your services. We have in game channels, word of mouth.

A campaign can last a year, we will quickly know who the decent mercs are if they do their job right. A list can be fixed, a guild can vote a guy 5 stars and praise him to the heavens. Then I employ him and he and his friends robs me.

Systems can be broken and cheated upon.. Actual skill and reputation in the world cant.

Having a bulletin board system within Kingdoms might be a good way to mesh the social aspect of hiring people and have game infrastructure to support it.  Wealthy players or guilds can post 'help wanted' posters that players can respond to and mercs can post up 'looking for work' posters that wealthy players or guilds can respond to.  I realize there are forums for this but the less I have to leave my game window the better immersion I get.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

Having a bulletin board system within Kingdoms might be a good way to mesh the social aspect of hiring people and have game infrastructure to support it.  Wealthy players or guilds can post 'help wanted' posters that players can respond to and mercs can post up 'looking for work' posters that wealthy players or guilds can respond to.  I realize there are forums for this but the less I have to leave my game window the better immersion I get.

Agreed, a bulletin board would work in this scenario.

I would be down with that, since you would know who the good mercs are, and you could weed out the bad ones if they ask you.