Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fhayte

Combat Pets

DISLIKE. This isn't PokemonFall.

...comments like this should get deleted instantly.

Why on earth where you can tame an animal, used it in combat or utilize it in a way you like, if you like it, is instantly pokemon now?

If you see it like that then are IRL farmers/pet owners pokemon trainers?

Taming and taking care of your animals is a small thing that some people enjoy. I might tame a pet only to see it run around in my EK and occasionally take it hunting in some campaigns.

And i agree with the raptorfacedude. Pet's should not be automatic attackers or extremely powerful. I'm actually more in for using them outside of combat in as many ways as possible. Micromanaging pets is really fun, if the system is implemented correctly.

For an example:

- A dog-type animal could track certain animals/humans. Maybe even natural resources like plants? Tracking people would be awesome for a bounty hunter type character.

- A bird pet could scout and remove the fog of war for a short time on a designated area. Think... eyes in the sky type thing.

- A cat-type animal could potentially be a more combat focused pet tho.. D: Maybe catch fish? :P

- A mole type pet to dig tunnels?

- A horse would be naturally a mount but you could maybe also ride a bear?

And during campaigns, animals should consume food and maybe even some other resources. In a matter where you really have to think if you bring one with you in that specific campaign

Taming and taking care of your animals is a small thing that some people enjoy.

If you are experiencing attachment to imaginary pets, that can't feel, can't relate to you and so on... then I can't tell you anything that your therapist didn't already cover.

My point was aimed at negative gameplay aspects that are brought on by introduction of AI-driven bots.

There are a few questions i have in the matter of pets to the designers if that ever get the time or see my post. Perhaps we could have a descution on th matter as well.

1. The pets we tame in on the dieing worlds when thay are killed is it permenent for them?
2. Once we tame thm how do we train them ( or is there taring for them) to obay commands? Will there even be a training system with them?
3. As te world corrupts and th lifeforms change will our pets change with the rest of the world? Will our skill be able to protect them from this corruption till the end or can ee keep control of them for longer or even until the bitter end as the level reaches mastery or we see and work with a few dieing worlds?
4. There are creaturs in the eternal kingdoms can we tame them and keep them only around our kingdom? ( as we cant bring weapons with us i assume pets are out of the question as well)
5. Will there be an option to try to take you re pet home like one of the many resources at the end of the of the campaign,or even durring the campaign to keep in the eternal kingdom? (I ask this question as im assuming as with recorces that can be sent home im guessing we can send th chickens and cows back why not our beloved Lobo's?
6 final and most important questions. Can we teach Lobos to sit and beg? Can we teach bears to dance? Can we teach the zerg like mutations to dig trenches for there masters and graves for there fallen pray?

I thank anyone for taking the time to read all this dribble. ^^

Edited by graylobo

Imagine being able to have your own zoo/farm filled with different combat pets. Training them could become a core profession akin to crafting, and give them a unique marking the same way a crafter marks his gear (not branding, that's cruelty to combat pets).
The more pets your train, the better the skills they can learn.

we need a honeybadger ;)

Ayup.  One of the coolest critters on the face of the earth, and completely fearless of ANYTHING.

Add to that tons of personality possible for idling animations, and you've got the makings of a highly sought after Pet, whatever level/power/capability Art_Craft comes up with for pets.  I mean, seriously, skip to like 12:30 in the vid below where the HB TAKES the mouse away from the Puff Adder, eats the mouse, then goes after the Puff Adder for the 2nd course, gets bit, rolls over on it's back for two hours due to the poison, then wakes up and finishes eating the Puff Adder.

Whaaaat?!

Heh=heh.  Cool critter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEZKhbDiQ0c

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

For one second, I though I accidently logged into a different forum.

​What the hell, why not: I'd like to have a Tyrannosaurus Rex as a pet with the ability to mount lasers and rockets on its head. Ofc I should be able to ride I. It's self-explanatory that only I should have one.

​Devs should asap get to work on it. The future of this game depends on it.

For one second, I though I accidently logged into a different forum.

​What the hell, why not: I'd like to have a Tyrannosaurus Rex as a pet with the ability to mount lasers and rockets on its head. Ofc I should be able to ride I. It's self-explanatory that only I should have one.

​Devs should asap get to work on it. The future of this game depends on it.

Which post are you replying to?  heh-heh.  Don't be so obtuse.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Given that they'll do pets, I believe we should all be clear that ArtCraft will likely stick to their philosophy in Crowfall for "minimum skills required" or, in this case, a "minimum amount of pet types". In this, they won't add dozens of pet types, but probably less than 10 [probably less] so to create the very basic pets so to fulfill every function and role a pet could in a balanced way. 

Thus, I am excited for pets. Their AI hopefully won't have to be crazy so long as they are made with specific functions in mind.

Pets should definitely have an HP pool and be removable from a fight. It should cost significant resources to be floating a combat pet at all times. Pet strength doesn't need to be balanced against other pets but rather against the amount of resources any pet consumes. (Both initially and for upkeep)

I would like to see significant character investment required as well (in terms of skill training) to use combat pets, because granting every single player a combat pet is just going to clutter fights.