Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My attempt at some game-like voices

rs_navlaan

Hey guys, I did some quick voices today, and wanted to get some feedback.

I think the last 2 or so voices came out quite well.

Sadly, I mostly make sound FX, and music, not voices, so I don't have a pop filter, and my mic is a budget studio mic (Shure SM57).

https://soundcloud.com/nebumusic-1/voice-tests/s-eCvbb

If anyone is interested in what programs I used, I used the following:

DAW = Ableton Live 9

Room Simulator (for reverb) = R.C. 48

I cut out some of the mid-range frequencies, and cut out a tiny bit of the lowest end. The very high frequencies were cut, as to not made them annoying while being delayed, and reverbed.

I probably could have cleaned it up a bit, but I don't have a pop filter, or a mic at the moment, so I am finding it a little difficult to do voices.

EOWWuhQ.png 

You will not slaughter them all.

But my mom says that if I try hard enough, I can do anything!  :blink:

edit: I just took quotes from in-game characters of other games, like league of legends.

I think the "I am your nightmare" one came out better, though.

Edited by rs_navlaan

EOWWuhQ.png 

First, try editing the mouse click out. Second, they were pretty decent, though they relied on heavy echo. I'm not sure if this was for fun or if you seriously want to go into Voice Acting. If it was for fun, I think it was pretty good. But if VA is something you want to do, try to rely on your own voice instead of added effects.

Some echo is good (It gives the illusion of a large and massive creature) but I would lower your voice much deeper. To make it more scary or intimidating, making your voice gravelly is a good option.

7lXqKFL.gif

First, try editing the mouse click out. Second, they were pretty decent, though they relied on heavy echo. I'm not sure if this was for fun or if you seriously want to go into Voice Acting. If it was for fun, I think it was pretty good. But if VA is something you want to do, try to rely on your own voice instead of added effects.

Some echo is good (It gives the illusion of a large and massive creature) but I would lower your voice much deeper. To make it more scary or intimidating, making your voice gravelly is a good option.

I just bought NI RC 48 (room simulator / echo) so I kind of went overboard on the reverb haha. I literally just bought it before making this, and kind of did this so I could use it. I didn't try anything too serious as I don't have a pop filter in my house currently, so it is hard to do any very clean work with no S sounds, which can really mess up whole words.

As for going deeper, I tried, but S sounds do not register well, and I will need a pop filter. When transposed to a lower pitch, these S sounds make whole words skipped, and the audio no longer sounds like words.

I will make some more once I buy a filter.

Can you expand on what you mean when you say "gravelly", if you don't mind?

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

edit: Yah, sorry about the clicking sounds, I didn't even attempt to remove them, as I didn't care about these too much. usually I would press my spacebar for it to record silently, and let the audio finish, and then hit stop.

Edited by rs_navlaan

EOWWuhQ.png 

I just bought NI RC 48 (room simulator / echo) so I kind of went overboard on the reverb haha. I literally just bought it before making this, and kind of did this so I could use it. I didn't try anything too serious as I don't have a pop filter in my house currently, so it is hard to do any very clean work with no S sounds, which can really mess up whole words.

As for going deeper, I tried, but S sounds do not register well, and I will need a pop filter. When transposed to a lower pitch, these S sounds make whole words skipped, and the audio no longer sounds like words.

I will make some more once I buy a filter.

Can you expand on what you mean when you say "gravelly", if you don't mind?

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

edit: Yah, sorry about the clicking sounds, I didn't even attempt to remove them, as I didn't care about these too much. usually I would press my spacebar for it to record silently, and let the audio finish, and then hit stop.

By gravelly I mean like Batman. Not exactly like Batman because it would sound cheesy, but just enough so the voice is more gruff.

7lXqKFL.gif