Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tierless

Since We Have Hauling...any Plans For A Smuggler Class?

I'm betting they'll be putting all the necessary stuff for those kinds of things in disciplines, remember that system? So not a complete new archetype (but have some archetypes be better suited for it).

Would be interesting mechanic wise, hmm. Don't have the time to think it out, but what about hidden cargo space? (lined coffers). Any other ideas what would be really specific skills or abilities for smuggling? Hmm, counterfeit money perhaps.

Smugglers Discipline Ruin (just ideas)

• Increase speed of pack anamials
  • Can hide pack animal and yourself but not able to move while hidden
  • Caravans have different paths for delivery the smuggler ruin unlocks a shorter or more secretive path
  • Caravans are "delivered" in a radius around the castle instead of having to walk to the front door

I think it'd be an interesting idea. I think caravans have to be moved by a person though so anyone could move them however they like. I could be wrong though, I can't seem to find where I saw that.

mael4.jpg

I was thinking that too Toan21. There were no "rails" or predetermined paths in SB so I am guessing there won't be here. If you want to move something you don't click a button and follow it. You move it.

Good point. I can see why people might picture a more scripted adventure because GW2 was scripted like that. But if this game is anything like Shadowbane, nothing like that will exist.

Edited by ferrydust

It does make more sense as discipline. I think a "low blow" or "solo shot" (shooting first) might be a good opener with a stun giving the smuggler a chance to run away. Maybe also some kind of cargo drop. They could also have a "knack" for repairing hauling devices and an "ability to form deep bonds with animal companions" which means there pack animals require less food, water, move a bit faster and are slightly healthier overall. It would be great if a move was "the animal sacrifices itself for you and charges your target while you run away"

...not that I'm basing ANY of this on any scruffy looking nerf herders or anything... :rolleyes:

I role play a wordsmith.

Just take Falconer discipline so you can name your bird Millenium.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think it'd be an interesting idea. I think caravans have to be moved by a person though so anyone could move them however they like. I could be wrong though, I can't seem to find where I saw that.

Would be interesting if roads were implemented, where caravans would move for example x 1.5 faster than on normal terrain

Edited by rajah

Would be interesting if roads were implemented, where caravans would move for example x 1.5 faster than on normal terrain

And if the smuggler arch made you move faster yet ;)

I role play a wordsmith.

Designating general features of the game to classes and disciplines is a mistake. Some specializations are fine, but it's something that everyone should have a hand in, so advantages should be tangential benefits of their general features.

Like Centaurs being able to follow astride, while Guineceans can fight from the wagon.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Designating general features of the game to classes and disciplines is a mistake. Some specializations are fine, but it's something that everyone should have a hand in, so advantages should be tangential benefits of their general features.

Like Centaurs being able to follow astride, while Guineceans can fight from the wagon.

Makes sense. So Smugglers would be good at "escape mechanics", pistols, and wagon fighting? Would someting like that work?

I role play a wordsmith.

Makes sense. So Smugglers would be good at "escape mechanics", pistols, and wagon fighting? Would someting like that work?

I could see something more akin to a Discipline which anyone could use to help benefit transport, while other regular features of classes could offer a variety of advantages and disadvantages.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I've pontificated on this in another thread somewhere on here. I'm at work so I won't take the time to search. But to have smuggling skills, you first need contraband. That doesn't mean drugs, that just means a system in which things aren't supposed to go in or out of a particular area.

If a guild has locked down the only iron mine in the campaign, they don't want to share that, it's an "I win" situation. So smuggling skills would be needed to liberate the iron. For a price, of course.

Or you are trying to starve out a stronghold. But someone else wants to get food in. Then you call the smuggler, for a price.

You have to have the cart before the horse. The "local power" needs to have the ability to lock down the contraband first. Only then is there a reason to bother with smuggling.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

We don't technically need to smuggle, any opponent is going to try and usurp any caravan just to weaken foes and steal resources. The only difference between regular caravans and smuggling would likely be the use of stealth and avoidance vs raw power to transport goods.

Smuggler sounds like an economic niche rather than a specific set of skills. Smugglers would want a variety of classes in their caravan for large runs.

Smugglers Discipline Rune (just ideas)

• Increase speed of pack anamials A Muleskinner (pack animal handler and teamster) discipline could do this.
  • Can hide pack animal and yourself but not able to move while hidden With figurines, you can dismiss your loadbeasts when danger threatens and resummon them later. Without figurines you get those Hunger-infected monsters we saw here (3:04).
  • Caravans have different paths for delivery the smuggler rune unlocks a shorter or more secretive path I don't need a rune to allow me to pick my own path
  • Caravans are "delivered" in a radius around the castle instead of having to walk to the front door Transfer of custody is a normal time for emergent gameplay to begin. No need to discourage PvP. Plan well or get got.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)