Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greetings

Beric

The rest of my family turned me on to this game the other day and I have been devouring as much information as I can in the last 48 hours. It looks very interesting, to say the least. 

I am a veteran of multiple MMOs though aside from that, I'm not much of a gamer (The Xbox is the Netflix machine...) I started out in City of Heroes, migrated to Wow, and am currently still playing SWTOR. Along the way, I've tried others like Age of Conan, DC Universe, Tabula Rasa, etc. 

I am looking forward to a break from the kill boss/loot boss/replace gear - rinse/repeat treadmill. I like the idea of permanence - a static world to accumulate "stuff" (the Eternal Kingdoms) but a dynamic adventure in the campaign system being the vehicle for advancement. 

I have at times been a raid leader, a guild officer, a casual, and a hardcore player. I've dabbled in PvP and other forms of gamplay (Starfighter in SWTOR, for an example -  pet battles in Wow...a guilty pleasure, I guess. I hated it but I had to do it)

We're still a long way out but any game that has my wife and two teen daughters enthused has got my attention. I truly enjoy crafting and housing so that's a definite plus for me but the tactics and strategy involved in siege warfare, open world PvP....those things are the most intriguing and I'm looking forward to it. 

In the meantime, I guess I'm stuck with SWTOR and my quest to control my server's economy but I am certainly looking forward to giving CF a try and having fun with it. 

Welcome to the forums.  Gaming with family sounds quite fun, though I've never had the opportunity.

Have you played any open world sandboxes before?  Either way, what aspect of such a game are you most looking forward to?

Welcome to the forums.  Gaming with family sounds quite fun, though I've never had the opportunity.

Have you played any open world sandboxes before?  Either way, what aspect of such a game are you most looking forward to?

I've played a fair bit of Minecraft and by many accounts there are some borrowed concepts from there. I've never played a true Sandbox type game though there haven't been many in the MMO genre of late. Wow represented a paradigm shift for the genre and a number of recent releases have tried to emulate that success by giving players a streamlined theme park where everyone is funneled into similar activities and progresses along a well worn track. 

That said, I am a builder and its an aspect of games in general I always longed for. I generally get my kicks IRL in that department, spending 15 years in construction and having moved on to R&D with a stop at graduate school in between. I do woodworking, so, clearly, I'm looking forward to a crafting system that employs it in game. I craft and play at being a merchant in SWTOR which I am currently playing and I have an enormous pile of in game credits but nothing great to spend it on. It does a better job than some other games but at the end of the day, its ultimately unrewarding. 

I suppose its hard to nail down one specific aspect that intrigues me the most and its likely not a good strategy to enter a game looking for an absence of things I know I don't want to see like "rails" on everything or the traditional rock/paper/scissors min/max game. I like to explore, see new areas and to do so because that's an integral part of the game, not just something to pass the time while everyone else is playing the actual game by raiding, doing instanced PvP, or farming the auction house. That being said, I suppose crafting in the wider sense, not just making armor and weapons, and trinkets but siege engines, structures, etc. I like the idea of being able to craft exceptional items through skill and creativity,not just being a factory churning out the same crap over and over again to sell and amass currency. 

I have my concerns, mostly regarding how successful this game can be commercially. I don't have a tremendous amount of faith in the gamer community as a whole to support something like this and indeed, communities surrounding most games I have player degrade into cesspools of the worst kind. How much compromise will take place to broaden the appeal? Even if, as it seems, the developers of this game are "making a game for the people" and not looking to get rich per se, but it still requires revenue to pay coders, artists, community people, etc to keep the lights on. 

And I certainly have questions about gameplay systems as well as worries about how a game based essentially on PvP is going to fly with my play style - or that of the people I play with. I mean, I play alot of games, I've been a hardcore raider, "main tank", done well in PvP at times but I don't know how my wife, who is really looking forward to this game, is going to fare. I played a FFA PvP server in Age of Conan and it was a gank fest, for example. And I'm not a particularly social player anymore so while I would likely join a guild, I often like to do my own thing. I wonder how that is going to play out. I wonder how the balance between the 10 hour a week player vs. the 40 hour per week player will be, assuming similar skill levels. I'm curious about how much tactics play a role vs. twitchy button mashing. The Devs are saying all the right things but we shall see. 

First, welcome to the forums!  Grab a grain of salt and keep in mind that not all opinions are created equal! :P

There's a great thread I found http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/102-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-trammel/ and it happens to be regularly bumped and responded to by Gordon Walton.  You don't have to read much farther than the first page of the thread if you're so inclined.  A summary is that someone called Gordon out on a "bad call" made during UO and he gave a great explanation along with goals for Crowfall.  So I agree with you that the devs are saying the right things, but show me don't tell me! ;)

I encourage you to keep squinting and continue to be skeptical.  The reason this game has caught my attention is that for the first time in a long time a group of developers is building from the ground up with PVP in the forefront instead of adding in PVP as an afterthought to try and catch that revenue market share (which is done way too often lately).  I'm crossing my fingers personally that the PVP is sustainable and meaningful (risk, reward, reputation).

I played Star Wars Galaxies and I played my Entertainer far more than any other character I may have had on my roster.  She was a "non-combat" class, but I spent a majority of my time in the open world PVP maps (Restuss) flagged for PVP and giving buffs out to either side who needed them.  I was at risk for death.  People did kill me.  I just dusted myself off and continued to offer the service to people who didn't make time to go to a cantina to get their buffs the usual way and just wanted to stab people as soon as they logged in.

Through that I met some amazing players.  Made social connections that transcended the fields of battle.  I also had folks I met help me ace pilot so I could PVP with them in space (on my non-combat entertainer).  I further used those connections to direct people to the fields of battle when I was buffing in the cantina.  Some people would ask where they should go for PVP.  I'd put out feelers and give them directions (while also giving them a heads up the kind of numbers to expect).  Often times I also steered people into certain guilds or certain crafters.  I guess you could say I was into information trading.  I loved it.

So I guess the moral of my ramble is that you're only confined by what you allow yourself to be confined by.  There are gankers, and griefers, and PKers out there in the big scary world of PVP.  Most PVPers I've played alongside don't like to chase an easy target.  We're looking for something to challenge ourselves on (unless you've wandered into some territory we've arbitrarily or actually claimed (we usually cry out a warning first) but semantics :P).

Dropping solo into a campaign by yourself might be a bit daunting some of the time.  If you're dead set on being a merchant again (similar to your current SWTOR experience) it might behoove you to find a group of folks that can help insulate your experience.  Let them go out and die and face the PVPers while you build up the fortifications and/or sell your wares to those that resurrect and need a new helmet.  Maybe that might be more your cup of tea?  Additionally, perhaps the campaigns with different factions or gods might be better so you can be insulated inside a larger group of folks.  At the very least I'm excited that the social aspect of MMOs is also being considered heavily with Crowfall.

Regardless of where you land I have a strong feeling you'll muster together some ties and connections to lead you toward the experience you're looking for.

To make a long ramble longer I had to comment that I miss Tabula Rasa since you mentioned you played.  I had a needle medic and loved exploring the nooks and crannies of that game searching for those alphabet glyph things (I think they were pieces of the alphabet).  And I miss my empath/psy defender from City of Heroes.  Sigh.

mael4.jpg

Been around the MMO Block...

Sardoni

Hello and welcome to the crowfall community!

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.