Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so let me walk u through this one... Your a caster with a casting spell... lets say it takes 2 seconds to cast..... each time your hit your timer resets.. now 5 tanks put a pet on you.... that's going to reset your bar alot.... 

Hell lets say when your hit it dont reset... but still 5 tanks put a pet on you.. your in cloth, with low hp... your Hp is droping fast, your trying to cc, heal yourself kite and meanwhile your not doing any dps.... 

GAME SET MATCH! /ASSIST PAINTRAIN ftw!

If you're a solo caster with 5 anything on you, you're screwed anyway unless you can run away.  It doesn't matter if they have pets or if they're just beating the hell out of you barehanded.  Making up scenarios to reaffirm an invalid point doesn't make the point any more valid.

Who says everything is a 2 second cast? And that you even have a cast bar at all? Who says you can't have a lot of cc, fast casting skills, lots of dodges and mobility, and kick bottom while kiting a bunch of people? The Sorc in TERA did just that. You can do any number of things with action combat.  Stop thinking like this is your old tab target MMO. This dude said it best:

You don't know what they're going to do here so there's no reason to think it's going to be a problem. Play some other games to see all the very different things that have been done with combat the past several years. 

poorly made socks, why have classes at all? i hope everyone gets everything... lets all just go play wow!  my old tap target , and your right the sorc is tera was pretty awesome, so was the priest! but they didnt have ton of pets bearing down on them.  :) i have played many games in the past few years thanks but i'm glad you worry about my gaming lineup! 

poorly made socks, why have classes at all? i hope everyone gets everything... lets all just go play wow!  my old tap target , and your right the sorc is tera was pretty awesome, so was the priest! but they didnt have ton of pets bearing down on them.   :) i have played many games in the past few years thanks but i'm glad you worry about my gaming lineup! 

So you're more concerned about your ability to deal with a few pets tickling you and possibly interrupting your skills then you are about the ability to actually deal with a few players on you, doing a bit more than tickling? If someone can kill and kite a few players, pets are a complete non-issue.

Edited by leiloni

Ok, so let me walk u through this one... Your a caster with a casting spell... lets say it takes 2 seconds to cast..... each time your hit your timer resets.. now 5 tanks put a pet on you.... that's going to reset your bar alot.... 

Hell lets say when your hit it dont reset... but still 5 tanks put a pet on you.. your in cloth, with low hp... your Hp is droping fast, your trying to cc, heal yourself kite and meanwhile your not doing any dps.... 

There are FAR too many unfounded assumptions here.

• First is that there's a casting timer at all. We don't know enough about the casting systems yet to make that assumption. It's very possible that some spells will have no casting timer, some have short casting timers, and some have long casting timers. A mage relying on long casting timers when being attacked by multiple foes is engaging in some seriously bad planning.

• Second is that if there is a casting timer, that being hit will completely reset the timer. We've seen plenty of other games where damage can reduce the casting bar, but often with these, you also have diminishing returns - hitting a mage with a super-fast, low-damage attack may not be able to prevent them from casting, just make the spell take a bit longer.

• Third is your idea that mages are going to be all "cloth with low HP." Even if we assume that Mages are fragile, flimsy, and poorly armored (another unfounded assumption, at this point), that just means that Mages will find friends to stay with, to be their "tank" while they cast on you from range.

• Fourth, even if we accept the 5-on-1 scenario, the idea that the Mage would stick around to try to fight instead of trying to escape is really unreasonable. If the mage is outnumbered, outgunned, and can't run away, the best option is to simply stop fighting and get the death over with as fast as possible, so he/she can go back to camp and warn their team/guild.

• Fifth, the 5-on-1 is an amusingly stacked deck. How does the opposite one look - 5 Mages on 1 armored Knight? Something tells me that Knight is going to be just as dead as the Mage in the 5-tanks-on-1-mage scenario. Numerical advantage makes the entire heming and hawing about classes irrelevant. How about 5 Forgemasters on an Assassin? 5 Stalkers on a Ranger? 5 Druids on a Templar? In all of these cases, the idea that the 1 is going to win is an extreme long-shot.

Seriously, your entire argument is shallow and based on some pretty broad assumptions that are probably fundamentally flawed in the first place.

Edited by Katzemensch

Seriously, the entire argument is shallow and based on some pretty broad assumptions that are probably fundamentally flawed in the first place.

Yes, except for the 'probably' part.

First, not every game is WoW. CF certainly won't be.

Second, why do you think you should be able to win 1 vs 5, with or without pets? Those 5 pets could just as easily be 5 players and the same thing would happen. Next time, bring some friends.

Third, you have no idea what sort of skills will be available to counter pets.

Fourth, it's obvious you never played Shadowbane. There were combat pets in that game too, but most people didn't use them.

Fifth, I don't think you have any concept of what the pvp will be like in this game. This won't be a WoW battleground where people are just killing each other over and over with no regard to strategy or completing objectives. Players are going to need to work together to survive. If you want to be a lone wolf, particularly as a mage, expect to die. A lot.

I personally hate pet classes and hope I will not be at a disadvantage if I choose not to play with one.  Somehow, I believe I will be.  If the pet just attacks, then it would not be to bad, but if pet has skills to combat certain archetypes then I will have issues.

I will give some examples.  If they make a dog pet detect stealth, that one mechanic will severely inhibit that class.  If they make a pet that silences a caster, then that one pet destroys that class.  If they make a pet that can perma freeze melee, then that 1 pet makes melee ineffective.

So, combat pet just for damage would be ok as long as they auto attacked.  I do not want to have to manage the damn thing.  For the love of Pete, pathing on pet has to be done right.  I don't want the damn thing hung up on terrain.

So you want everything served to you on a silver platter.

Edited by StiviRibar

No fire hose healing + everyone has a pet = really bad pvp. Casters might as well reroll at the start up screen. 

Please elaborate on why you feel casters will not benefit from a pet the same as others.  

Please include some examples of situations that will cause your suggestion to be true.

◄ Jaguar / Tasho ▬ Knights of Glory and Beer ►

Master of Useless Darkfall Physics Spells and Originator of Shrapnel/Begone Jumping

wYG89dW.jpg

I personally hate pet classes and hope I will not be at a disadvantage if I choose not to play with one.  Somehow, I believe I will be.  If the pet just attacks, then it would not be to bad, but if pet has skills to combat certain archetypes then I will have issues.

I will give some examples.  If they make a dog pet detect stealth, that one mechanic will severely inhibit that class.  If they make a pet that silences a caster, then that one pet destroys that class.  If they make a pet that can perma freeze melee, then that 1 pet makes melee ineffective.

So, combat pet just for damage would be ok as long as they auto attacked.  I do not want to have to manage the damn thing.  For the love of Pete, pathing on pet has to be done right.  I don't want the damn thing hung up on terrain.

Don't like what the pet does?  KILL IT.  Make them heal/revive the pet you're so worried about the functionality of.   Leave them with one less tool at their disposal and force them to spend resources fixing the problem.

Tired of games where underpowered pets are almost completely ignored because they do no damage and despawn upon owner's death.

I hope there are a vast variety of options for pets, including stealth detection, CC, bleeds and debuffs - but I also hope they limit a player's ability to revive a dead pet multiple times per encounter unless they have specializations dedicated to that task.

◄ Jaguar / Tasho ▬ Knights of Glory and Beer ►

Master of Useless Darkfall Physics Spells and Originator of Shrapnel/Begone Jumping

wYG89dW.jpg

Game is far from being a game, more of a concept and people already bash the game.

Seriously what's the deal nowadays. Start bashing the game/ideas so that the devs will not even touch this subject again, to make sure only the individual ideas get through?

Sigh

From what I've seen, people tend to have extremely high expectations and, especially nowadays like you say, immediately bash something and quit when it isn't exactly what they wanted.  It's a very dangerous mentality, I mean... Imagine a world where you try to start up a business and people walk up and willingly buy your product *before* it's introduced to the market and then arrogantly carry picket signs with all of their complaints written on it right in front of your store for days, weeks, even months?  

No fire hose healing + everyone has a pet = really bad pvp. Casters might as well reroll at the start up screen. 

Good analysis. Seems well-thought-out and articulate. The devs can use and act on this feedback to make CF better just through the sheer depth in this.

Discussing the quality of PvP when no one has even seen an in depth video on how PvP works = really bad. Reroll your thought process please.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Try this again while I'm sober and maybe what i'm saying will make a little more sense.

First I'm not saying there will be a cast bar or anyone will be solo. That was not my point to any of it. Simply that giving everyone pets is stupid based on the idea if its a 5vs5 ( not sure the group size but lets roll with this ) and lets assume everone is using a pet. One side is melee dps running with vent and assisting each other. The other maybe a pug group with a mix of caster/melee .... Your group that is assisting in theory can use there pets simply to remove one person from being able to burst effectively by sicking all there pets on one guy... Yes can you can CC these pets, Yes u can kite these pets all the while your not DPS, while the other group of meleers are assisting down your group.

I don't believe pets dps will be huge but again, not the point its like using a fire and forget turret... It does not have to do a lot of dmg to be effective. People can disagree its ok... Its my thoughts and my thoughts alone that pets for everyone is a bad idea for the over all pvp. There are many things that we don't know as people pointed out and it will be awhile before we do find out. HOWEVER In forum land, assumptions are what drives post :)

Also assuming everyone will have them. It seems likely that having combat pets will be one of your 3 disciplines or one of a limited number of rune slots. Which generally means that not everyone will have them unless they are that OP. If they are that OP I am certain they will get nerfed or require a larger investment of skills, disciplines, runes ,or any combination thereof. The other possibility is that they will be like consumable items in either case I am not that worried and as now plan on playing a Confessor primarily.

Edited by Joziah09

Try this again while I'm sober and maybe what i'm saying will make a little more sense.

First I'm not saying there will be a cast bar or anyone will be solo. That was not my point to any of it. Simply that giving everyone pets is stupid based on the idea if its a 5vs5 ( not sure the group size but lets roll with this ) and lets assume everone is using a pet. 

Not everyone will necessarily use pets. And you're ignoring that you're sacrificing something else to have a pet.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.