Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lord hammer

Please Offer Tab Targeting As An Option

Hello,

I would like to formally request that the Development Team consider offering TAB Targeting as an option for us older players.  I for one HATED the Wildstar combat system.  I want TAB target so I can cycle through my enemies and clearly see who I cam attacking.  This helps for clearly identifying the NPC, MOB, or Player Character I am focusing on.  Additionally, the integration of Targets above the targets head for team coordination of FOCUS FIRE should be integrated to easily identify the target that the group or team should be focusing on.

Please give this serious consideration, as Wildstar and Tera are both extremely marginalized MMO's, for many reasons.  I am not saying they are bad, I am saying they are marginalized.  If the developers are stating that they want to bring old school elements back, then please don't reinvent the wheel on combat.  I like my Tab Target, and want to focus on the game and not some console/ FPS feeling Twitch combat system.  I will of course give the new system an honest try....but request there be an option for us old school MMO players.

Respectfully,

Crowfall%20Signiture%20v5.png

Not sure if serious...

But on a serious note, do just a small few minutes of reading through the information already provided, and you'd have seen this isn't a possibility before having made this post.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I'm not sure how there could be tab targeting and reticule aiming at the same time. I'd think it's one or the other. Considering you'd still have to face your target and aim, it seems redundant doesn't it? 

Unless you basically want them to do a 180 on the combat system and go to missile heat-seeking tab target. 

Edited by Hax

I guess I haven't done the level of reading that you all have.  What do you mean it is not possible?  Wildstar still had tab targeting as an option.  I guess I don't understand enough on why they can't have that in this game.  With a "troll free" request, could someone explain or help point out where is explains that?  I did read that they were trying to do a more action based combat like Wildstar.

Thanks in advance!

I guess I haven't done the level of reading that you all have.  What do you mean it is not possible?  Wildstar still had tab targeting as an option.  I guess I don't understand enough on why they can't have that in this game.  With a "player free" request, could someone explain or help point out where is explains that?  I did read that they were trying to do a more action based combat like Wildstar.

Thanks in advance!

It seems they are doing a more TERA like combat than wildstar after watching a couple of their interviews.

By TAB-Target combat we usually mean the standard mmo way where you can only really attack one person at the time, and thats the person you have "selected".

ACE wants a more free flowing combatsystem which makes it possible to seamless transition between enemies in the middle of a fight.

The Combat FAQ explains how combat will be working in Crowfall.

http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54ca4668bffce6644cb33809

Here's the very first question:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS | COMBAT
1. Does combat use tab-targeting?
No. We’ve tried to make combat in Crowfall a little more action-combat focused, than your traditional MMO.  For instance, we have “dashes” that you use to avoid attacks, as opposed to a passive (randomized) dodge system.  Finding the right balance on this one has been extremely challenging from a design perspective, but we think we’ve found a mid-point.

For a bit more on how combat is progressing, I asked the team about it in our interview video (at the 55:32 mark) 

I hope this helps

Edited by arawulf

ye, give this boy an advantage just because.

Here you go mate, an auto target machine gun, go have some fun. 

2whf87a.jpg

I mean you could implement tab-targeting where it would give you a focus, and any lock-on skills would then be used on that enemy, but it wouldn't do anything in terms of your free-aim telegraph style abilities. Similar to Wildstar, where if you have a lock-on ability you can tab to the enemy you want to use it on, but everything else still requires you to be aiming your camera/mouse at that enemy in order to actually hit. I would imagine they would have this system if they have any targeted abilities, but it doesn't really relieve you of your issues with action-oriented combat since that would still be the vast majority. 

Also,

Please give this serious consideration, as Wildstar and Tera are both extremely marginalized MMO's, for many reasons.  

this is not because of their combat - at least for Wildstar. Wildstar is in a troubled situation for 100 reasons, but on that list the action combat is near 99 or 100. 

Edit: To be fair Arawulf, that section from the FAQ is horrendous at actually answering the question it poses. It's incredibly vague, and dashes does not equal action-oriented combat, not to mention as I discussed above tab-targeting also doesn't mean the lack of action-oriented combat, it just means the existence of single-target abilities as well. Hopefully they give a much more detailed explanation in the future so that specific Q can be answered to a greater extent than "No, we use a system in the middle somewhere which has dashes[like most MMOs now]". The most basic addendum to that would be which style of MMO dashing do they want to use? Do dashes give invincibility frames? 

Edited by stroh

Currently Playing - Dirty Bomb, Archeage, & Skyforge

AMEqAAy.jpg

Well, I guess I am missing the point of your comments.  What I want to make sure is there is the ability to TAB target to the MOB or NPC I am attacking.  I read the post that Arawulf put in there.  However, I request that the DEVs consider having an option where I can cycle through my targets via TAB button.  As stated, I don't like TERA nor do I like the Wildstar form of combat systems.  Age of Conan had Tab Target and Hit Boxes which would or could include one or multiple targets within the Hit Box.  I agree that only hitting the target Tab Targeted would be sub-optimal.

So do you want tab-target combat or just tab-targeting. 

by tab-targeting I mean to get the usual enemy info bar (health, mana, status buffs/debuffs, Name, Rank, etc.) but the combat is all around actively dodging and landing hits. By the way Tera also had this kind of system. (Don't know if it is still around)

With Tab-Targt Combat I mean for example a combat system like Aion or so. Pretty much the standard way. Or take ArcheAge. 

To be honest. Tab-Targeting is really nice. Tab Target Combat is pretty boring if you ask me. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Hello,

I would like to formally request that the Development Team consider offering TAB Targeting as an option for us older players.  I for one HATED the Wildstar combat system.  I want TAB target so I can cycle through my enemies and clearly see who I cam attacking.  This helps for clearly identifying the NPC, MOB, or Player Character I am focusing on.  Additionally, the integration of Targets above the targets head for team coordination of FOCUS FIRE should be integrated to easily identify the target that the group or team should be focusing on.

Please give this serious consideration, as Wildstar and Tera are both extremely marginalized MMO's, for many reasons.  I am not saying they are bad, I am saying they are marginalized.  If the developers are stating that they want to bring old school elements back, then please don't reinvent the wheel on combat.  I like my Tab Target, and want to focus on the game and not some console/ FPS feeling Twitch combat system.  I will of course give the new system an honest try....but request there be an option for us old school MMO players.

Respectfully,

If you're serious, you sir are an idiot. Just throwing that out there.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

If the game you want to play is a game that has tab targeting, then Crowfall is not the game you want to play. ArtCraft has made a very deliberate conscious decision to focus on a specific niche rather than trying to appeal broadly to all gamers, so if you're not in that niche- a niche which specifically includes action combat as part of its core design- then this isn't the game for you.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Well, I guess I am missing the point of your comments.  What I want to make sure is there is the ability to TAB target to the MOB or NPC I am attacking.  I read the post that Arawulf put in there.  However, I request that the DEVs consider having an option where I can cycle through my targets via TAB button.  As stated, I don't like TERA nor do I like the Wildstar form of combat systems.  

They have already said this wont be an option, as well as saying that they are making their game for the people that are interested in that style of game and wont be changing the core vision for random reasons. I guess this being the case there are really two options at hand 1) get used to the system that will be deployed 2) or put Crowfall in the category with Tera and Wildstar and avoid it. personally I am happy they are sticking to their vision and even more thrilled they aren't going to be making concessions like other games out there. I realize you saying its not that big a deal to add this feature but its the start down a slippery slope of everyone saying but its just this or its only that and I personally hope they stick to their guns

Edited by Sparaficile

"please introduce this mechanic that will ruin the game for everyone else"

.. actually I would prefer to have tab-targeting allowed, with a small perk.. every skill deals 1% of its damage/buff. :D

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I want to be able to hit the TAB button and see my target get highlighted.  I want to hit TAB button again, and see a different enemy get highlighted.  

This is merely a graphical way to easily see "my" target.  The combat system, can be whatever they want.  If the developers can't or won't do it, then that is their choice.  However; this is the proper forum and place to make suggestions.  Thus, I am suggesting something that I would like to see in the game.

I thank you all for your feedback.