Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ghoul31

A Permanent Campaign

Some people don't like thsi campign stuff

So will they make a permanent campaign that will work like a regular mmo?

Edited by ghoul31

No. Permanent campaigns is the problem with stagnation they are trying to avoid. I'm going to be nice and redirect you to some direct developer information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHJhULEu8Q

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1718-020415-day-3-zombiewood-faq/?p=42249

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1597-020215-hunger-week-its-about-time/?p=38803

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3258-lets-talk-about-campaign-permanence/?p=80308

Make sure you read the FAQ and stickies before entering the sharks nest.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

No need to be rude though.

OP, I know it came from a good intention, but please, use the research feature next time (what you are asking is classic knowledge...).

What you're describing is the exact opposite of the intention behind this game. So in short, no.

They said they will take suggestions for new campaigns. So I am suggesting a permanent campaign

If not permanent, then what is the longest campaign they would have? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years?

A 5 year campaign would basically be the same as a permanent campaign

They said they will take suggestions for new campaigns. So I am suggesting a permanent campaign

If not permanent, then what is the longest campaign they would have? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years?

please do some research....

1. they said in like their first video that they will not have permanent campaigns its like one of the main aspects of the game

2. they already said... about 1 year

3. no because they wont do a 5 year campaign

Did you read any of the information I posted, sorted through the stickies, or read the FAQ?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Well to be fair Primal did link it. JTodd specifically said.

To be clear: this isn't a religious argument for me.  If I can find a way to make it work -- to make it sustainable -- of COURSE we will do it.  In a heartbeat.

But with that being said only if they can find a way to suit the vision and playstyle of the game... A standard persistent server just would not work in this format. I actually really liked the "theoretical" persistent world ideas where if your campaign is good enough your world could theoretically live forever, it gives you a pride point to fight for.

Edited by Wargasmo

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Actually, Todd made some suggestions to see how a "permanent" campaign would work. He said that he'd still have some kind of "end game" safety net for stagnation. I don't think that he is 100% against it. However, a never-ending campaign is pretty much SB (dregs ruleset), imo. And all of the SB servers had the stagnation that Todd wants to avoid except test. Test did pretty regular wipes.

Edited by mal

This beats the entire purpose of having not having an uncle bob dominate for an extended period of time, and will throw off balance other campaigns. I dont think its a good idea at all. 

If we keep throwing campaigns out thar, hell even as it currently is, each of these campaigns are gonna be pretty empty with maybe 1 or 2 having a decent population. Diff rulesets while i suppose its a bit more extreme here in Crowfall has been done to some extent in other mmos and it leads to deserted campaigns that people just go into to free farm with almost no real competition.

krevra.png

A 1 year campaign is long enough. Most people these days are leaving games after the free 30 days or after some months. So where is the point is making a permanent campaign if it get's empty by month number 3? Or 7? or 15? 

Also why do you want a permanent campaign? The cons are clearly bad:

- one successful guild rules over anyone which even tries to start with the campaign 

--> players will not go there since there are also the temporary campaigns where the gain could equal or exceed the loss

--> since no one plays the campaign the leading guild will probably leave too

--> empty campaign

--> repeat cycle

as explained in the Kickstarter Video. 

- the concept of dying worlds wouldn't apply to the perm. campaign as you probably would get a flat destructed world on the end where no one wants to play anymore

- finite/infinite resource? 

--> finite resources - the longer the campaign the more fights over resources and when they are gone? What then? Of course fighting, conquering, robbing. But still.... I don't think that would make sense

--> infinite resources - well a never ending hell which just relies on numbers and nothing tactical or strategical 

Of course there are ways to implement a permanent world. Or Rulesets which enable players to maintain the balance. But for the moment the initial idea remains. 

I mean I would'nt mind to have a permanent campaign. But I can't really see how it should fit into CF and benefit it. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Sure there are people who wants a story-styled campaign. There are so many games like that out there, why would you want one here? It's like the same thing as going to a normal MMO game and tell them the make the main story to end in 3 months then start another main story.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Sure there are people who wants a story-styled campaign. There are so many games like that out there, why would you want one here? It's like the same thing as going to a normal MMO game and tell them the make the main story to end in 3 months then start another main story.

Because there is already 100 different mobas?

To be fair, this makes it sound like temporary campaigns are literally the only thing that Crowfall is doing to differentiate itself, which really isn't the case. If the OP likes absolutely everything about the game but that, then of course he would want to try to see that one feature changed instead of going to a game that has that feature, but lacks almost everything else that makes Crowfall unique.

To be fair, this makes it sound like temporary campaigns are literally the only thing that Crowfall is doing to differentiate itself, which really isn't the case. If the OP likes absolutely everything about the game but that, then of course he would want to try to see that one feature changed instead of going to a game that has that feature, but lacks almost everything else that makes Crowfall unique.

ACE made it very clear that Campaigns must be temporary, they shut down the possibility of permanent Campaigns on the forums before the Kickstarter, stated Campaigns are eventually destroyed in their Kickstarter video, and they explained it in their FAQ.

Finite Campaigns is one of Crowfall's core features, it is not a cosmetic nor a secondary mechanic.  They made it very clear with their "Uncle Bob" story.

But in the end it doesn't really matter, 6+ month Campaigns will function very similarly to "permanent" Campaigns with the feeling of persistence they will give, so I don't think anyone will be disappointed with them in the end.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Crowfall is not a regular MMO.  That's what makes it appealing to its target audience.  Sure, some people don't like the idea of campaigns.  Simply put, Crowfall is not a game for them.  ACE is not attempting broad market appeal; they have a specific vision for this game.  A key part of that vision is non-permanent campaign worlds.